Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boat Race, could they have made this event more...

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
My cousin is a rowingist and attended Cambridge, although he certainly never competed to this kind of standard.

I am therefore very happy that Oxford won.

Thanks for that ! Had it recorded for a boat race party later tonight.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The reverse f/cast didn't pay much.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Scottish comentator, American pundit, 4 British and 16 foreigh rowers, average age about 24. Sponsored ubiquitously by BNY Mellon. I see Oxford's international medal-winning crew won by 11 lengths. Not exactly the amateur undegraduate affair of old.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
...boring on TV. Been dragging on for ages and still not even started racing.
They could have easily made it more boring.

Just stick Oscar in charge of it!:fishing:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
They should introduce qualifiers and let other universities take part...

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Good idea Robot. Could be University challenge on water. So long as each tie didn't take a quarter as long as this to start.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I wonder how many of these "students" are on 1 year part-time courses.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sometimes might have coincided with the Grand National on BBC. Why not 'jazz' it up a tad and have hurdles to encounter?

Ah yes...those were the days when the BBC decided that the general public would quite like to see some of the major sporting events. If my memory serves me right, the boat race usually started before the National, not at 6.00pm on a Sunday!

Ah yes...those were the days when the BBC decided that the general public would quite like to see some of the major sporting events. If my memory serves me right, the boat race usually started before the National, not at 6.00pm on a Sunday!

Don't they have to time it with the tides, or am I dreaming that?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Apart from having a dressage event on the towpath before the race, hard to see how it could have been more tedious

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was more fun the year that chap jumped in the river with them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've never rowed, but watch it every year as it is an historic event and very British.

It's certainly not as exciting as rowing regattas with more competitors, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Good LORD. Have you taken Crodonilson's job of championing the "British and banal"?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Was anyone else surprised Cambridge had an 18 year-old cox? They'd clearly gone to great lengths to source their crew from the cream of the world's oarsmen only to put some poor first year in charge. It was no surprise to me that they veered off course, clashed oars with Oxford and lost the race spectacularly thereafter. I'm sure the lad has some ability but that's one hell of a responsibility on his shoulders - how culpable must he have felt at the plight of Oarsmen No. 2 who looked suicidal at the end?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Was anyone else surprised Cambridge had an 18 year-old cox? They'd clearly gone to great lengths to source their crew from the cream of the world's oarsmen only to put some poor first year in charge. It was no surprise to me that they veered off course, clashed oars with Oxford and lost the race spectacularly thereafter. I'm sure the lad has some ability but that's one hell of a responsibility on his shoulders - how culpable must he have felt at the plight of Oarsmen No. 2 who looked suicidal at the end?

That's right. It was no place for a freshman with an Olympic-sized hangover.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Knowing Cambridge he was probably a spy, defected to Oxford during prep school.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
They could have easily made it more boring.

Just stick Oscar in charge of it!:fishing:

Post race interview with Oscar if he was the coach of the Cambridge crew in the Boat race.

Interviewer - Well Oscar, not exactly the result you were hoping for.

Oscar - No, but we were the better crew for long periods of the race and I am very proud of them and the effort they put in.

Interviewer - Some of the supporters are questioning your race tactics.

Oscar - This is because they do not understand Splishy Spashy rowing, there is more than one way to win a race.The crew carried out my plan to perfection, I am very happy with them.

Interviewer - Right, so can you explain to us what exactly your Splishy Splashy style of rowing involves then? Because we did seem to be going sideways a lot of the time and for several periods we were actually rowing backwards!

Oscar - Spishy Splashy rowing involves moving slowly sideways, sometimes backwards instead of rowing in a straight line. This totally confuses the opposition to a point where we take advantage of their confusion and storm past them to win the race.

Interviewer - I see, but we didn't actually win the race did we?

Oscar - No, but we were in complete control and the race was ours for the taking, we were just unlucky.

Interviewer - Mmmm, what about when one of the Oxford crew fell out of the boat, we didn’t seem able to take advantage of having an extra man?

Oscar - Sometimes it is harder to race against a team when they are a man short, they become very defensive and row harder, how you say, they park the boat.

Interviewer - I think the question a lot of the supporters are asking is why we didn’t do what Oxford did and actually go all out for a win right from the start?

Oscar - I understand their frustrations but ask them to have patience, Splishy Splashy is the way forwards and we are all trying very hard to get the team rowing in the right direction.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Post race interview with Oscar if he was the coach of the Cambridge crew in the Boat race.

Oscar - No, but we were the better crew for long periods of the race and I am very proud of them and the effort they put in.

Oscar - This is because they do not understand Splishy Spashy rowing, there is more than one way to win a race.The crew carried out my plan to perfection, I am very happy with them.

Interviewer - Right, so can you explain to us what exactly your Splishy Splashy style of rowing involves then? Because we did seem to be going sideways a lot of the time and for several periods we were actually rowing backwards!

Oscar - Spishy Splashy rowing involves moving slowly sideways, sometimes backwards instead of rowing in a straight line. This totally confuses the opposition to a point where we take advantage of their confusion and storm past them to win the race.

Oscar - No, but we were in complete control and the race was ours for the taking, we were just unlucky.

Interviewer - Mmmm, what about when one of the Oxford crew fell out of the boat, we didn’t seem able to take advantage of having an extra man?

Oscar - Sometimes it is harder to race against a team when they are a man short, they become very defensive and row harder, how you say, they park the boat.

Interviewer - I think the question a lot of the supporters are asking is why we didn’t do what Oxford did and actually go all out for a win right from the start?

Oscar - I understand their frustrations but ask them to have patience, Splishy Splashy is the way forwards and we are all trying very hard to get the team rowing in the right direction.

Genius :clap::bowdown:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

:laugh:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm surprised in the so called interest in the Boat Race. Practicaly everyone watching has never rowed and as some have said it's as boring as hell - nearly as bad as watching the Albion at the moment.

Bit of a daft thing to say ... I'd wager that most people who watch the Grand National have never sat on a horse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here