Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boarding Passes & Duty Free - I thought we didn't need to show them?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
First they came for...

your boarding pass. then they came for you debit card. then they asked for your pin.

then they gave you a receipt, smiled and said have a nice day.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I'm guessing that it'd still have been £5 cheaper if you'd been flying to Manchester - it was just a special airport price, probably because they sell such high volumes.

The boarding pass was possibly entered into the till to check that you weren't entitled to have the VAT deducted as well, in which case it'd have been 16.7% cheaper.

Edit: so from the above it sounds like some shops keep the VAT for themselves, which is a bit cheeky but probably why they are able to offer discounted prices to all passengers regardless of destination.

But are they cheaper than the High Street. Many a time my wife has informed the perfume stalls that the prices are cheaper in Debenhams/Boots etc. They just shrug their shoulders and look for the next fool. I personally never buy in duty free, they rely on you being in a good mood because you are going on hols.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But are they cheaper than the High Street. Many a time my wife has informed the perfume stalls that the prices are cheaper in Debenhams/Boots etc. They just shrug their shoulders and look for the next fool. I personally never buy in duty free, they rely on you being in a good mood because you are going on hols.
Depends on what you buy. Fags and spirits most definitely are cheaper, fags especially. Perfume probably isn't much of a discount, if any. Although, it's pointless telling the sales rep that; they don't set the prices.

As for tax free, significant savings can be made on expensive items, such as watches or designer handbags if you're travelling out of the EU. Otherwise it seems that the prices are the same for all passengers, and I'd suspect discounts are funded by some passengers not having to pay VAT - hence the reason that they ask for your boarding card for all purchases.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Have refused a few times recently and only once did a snotty assistant dig in about it. Stuck to guns and she backed down. All from Gatwick.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The question was about her reluctance. I am guessing she was reluctant due to the much publicised issue. She may have been wrong in this case, but this I'm sure was the reason for her reluctance.

Correct as always HT. Not sure what's so hard for some people to understand. No issue showing a pass but I thought we'd all been duped for years and big corporations were pocketing I'll gotten gains under a pretence. Or was the media storm utterly wrong? Anyway the explanation wasn't more than that. Which sounded highly suspect. Almost as if...hmmmmm.

Hence the question. If it helps anyone determine whether this was correct it was world duty free and we were flying within the EU.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
i understand this fully

my point was if you are buying duty free perfume you cant really complain about showing you are entitled to it,the rest of the shopping tell them to stick it somewhere unpleasant

In English. Or French. I speak a bit of French. Ow and Thai.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here