Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Board meeting today about Hyypia

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Sami surely has a clause that means he can be sacked if we are relegated. So it is looking good, only got to wait until May to be rid of him.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Sami surely has a clause that means he can be sacked if we are relegated. So it is looking good, only got to wait until May to be rid of him.

It'll be too late by then. Relegation beckons even now.
The bloke doesn't have a clue about the Championship and what's needed to compete in this division. He'll have even less of a clue about League 1.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Sheffield United were relegated from the Championship in the 2010/2011 season - their income in the following season in League 1 dropped from £16.1M to £10.2M but their costs fell at the same time - most notably their wage bill which fell almost exactly the same from £16.1M to £10.9M. Other costs also fell resulting in a reduction in the operating loss of £12.8M to £11.9M. Last year that loss fell to £1.3M as the full benefit of cost cutting was felt and turnover increased.

Preston, relegated from the Championship at the same time as Sheffield United saw its losses fall from £15.4M to £7.3M in the following season - I haven't checked Scunthorpe's figures, the third team to be relegated at the end of the 2010/11 season.

With permitted losses in the Championship next season rising to £13M it is not unrealistic to expect losses in League 1 to be broadly similar if not substantially less.

The worrying bit of course is that none of these three teams have yet managed to regain promotion to the Championship.

Thank you for your illustrative and substantial evidence - interesting reading. However I still don't buy the idea that this is 'relegation by design' the damage to the 'brand' would be huge - eventual loss of big sponsors etc. It is evident however that the club may wish to offload some big earners, and one sure fire way of doing this is dropping down a level.

As others have said we would be a 'big' club in L1, and would probably enjoy the pick of the lower league 'talent' to a certain extent. Relegation would be awful; but not perhaps (if managed prudently) the financial ruin of the club.

Perhaps the business operandi has become more about operating a L1 strategy under the umbrella of being PL ready. It worked for Burnley - however having a talented/understanding manager is somewhat vital. Sami, understanding yes - talented hmmmmmmmmm the jury is out.

On the other hand...

Going down would undoubtedly restrict our ability to attract young players and retain any academy gems - It's surely better to try to compete at this level until we see the impact of the academy etc. I refuse to believe the board 'want' or are willing to accept relegation. I guess time will tell...

Kosh

Last edited:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Could a win against Millwall be the start of a Pardew-like revival for Sami and the team? Doubt it. But the Board might get sucked into the hope that it might be the turn-around we all want. Worrying......

Said this on another thread. Winning every so often is the worse thing he can do as it just about keeps him in the job, whilst the relegation threat increases. A 1-0 Millwall win followed by 5 draws and a defeat will keep Sami in a job.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Personally I do not think we will, since as in the Premier League with some there ARE indeed worse sides. Our downhill slide however, and apparent lack of drive (Germaine missing does not help) will be of concern though.
The odds are not a reflection on our real chances of dropping imho, since they are more an indication of the layers' liabilities rather than percentage in their eyes. Would I back at 4/1, certainly not but should we come up with little over the Festive Period and spirits remain apparently low, then 11/2 will be a distant memory.
I would never back my team to go down, but to some money is money, and any savvy gambler (not an oxymoron, there ARE some) will tell you it is all about VALUE.

View attachment 60743

What a difference less than a week makes. 11/2 my @rse

fff.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here