Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Blue Plaques Ever Lived Near One?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Time travel plaque.jpg

ronnie pickering.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Worthing has got loads!

THE WORTHING SOCIETY – THE BLUE PLAQUE TRAIL AND LEAFLETS Promoting our Heritage
The Blue Plaque Trail
LEAFLETS
1. Beach House (1820) Brighton Road
2. Jane Austen (1775-1817) Stanford Sq.
3. St. Pauls (1812-2012) Chapel Road
4. Philp McCutchan (1920-1996) 107 Portland Road
5. Harold Pinter (1930-2008) 14 Ambrose Place
6. Gladys Morgan (1898-1983) 30 Salisbury Road
7. W.H.Hudson (1841-1922) 8 Bedford Row
8. Dr Frederick Dixon (1799 – 1849) Union PlaceC
9. Alma Cogan (1932-1966) – 29 Lansdowne Road

The one I was looking for was Oscar Wilde who supposedly wrote The Importance of being Earnest in Worthing.

But that’s not there.

I was going to post something about that. I saw it on the side of a big building on the front at Worthing - out towards or on the way to Lancing. Can’t remember exactly where. But it said “in a house near here”.........

Edit: Esplanade Court- as per this link

https://discoverworthing.uk/see-and-do/oscar-wilde/

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Theres one a few doors down frommy old house on Church St in Shoreham, one of Cptn Cooks sidekicks, Cptn Henry Roberts

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I saw an American documentary about him that described him as “a Cockney from Bristol.”

I’m honestly not making that up.

He be FILTH then...Failed In London Trying Horfield...enough of them these days.

The house is in Hughenden Road by the way.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Council blue plaque on what was my fav pub growing up.. The Marine in LA, commerating the 30th Assault Unit, the secret intelligence service gathering for the war.. in which mr ian fleming, he of james bond fame, attended - alleged events at that time forming the basis of mr bond

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My first flat in London was on Avonmore Road, next to Olympia and the house next door had a blue plaque for being the home of the composer Elgar when he penned Nimrod.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Surely every blue plaque refers to someone born at least 50 years ago? In which case they were ALL racist filth and the plaques should be torn down and the houses torched?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
There's a big blue plaque (not one of the round ones) for Gideon Mantell on Lewes High Street.

I lived around the corner from CB Fry's birthplace in Croydon a while back. For somebody who was later offered the crown of Albania it's surprisingly modest. Might have seemed more impressive if it wasn't in Croydon.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sculptor, calligrapher and man of unusual sexual appetite Eric Gill lived down my street. Dogs still cross the road rather than walk past his house.

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
There was a blue plaque on the front of my SCHOOL that said "The inventor of Mexican flatbreads tortilla"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here