Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom - you reap what you sow

We've got 27,819 gluttons consuming pies and pints like there's no tomorrow ans paying whatever the club asking us to pay for direct debit STs. What more can we do? We've done our bit. Down to TB now.

Really? It seems to me that he put £14.8m into just the Football Club last season - ie excluding the Stadium itself and the training ground development. How much more do you want and maybe compare that with the amount each 'glutton' contributes to the club's income?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone who questions Tony Bloom's financial commitment to the club needs their head examining.

However, Oscar got no help in the January window and Ashley Barnes was never replaced successfully (Lindgard was ok but a slightly different type of player ).

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's not worth spending £200m on the ground, training ground, hotel and can't invest on the pitch. If the attendances drop then the playing budget drops due to FFP and if we have no team to entertain these new fans then again the attendances will drop even more meaning less money to invest in the playing side.

You're the idiot!

The hotel is a revenue stream for the pitch you muppet.

If we're making substantial losses now, under current agreements, you think it's a good idea to spend spend spend? I'm glad you're no way near the financial department of the club, you could budget yourself for a sweet shop. You're then assuming all 20,000 or so fans are "new" which is even more moronic than your current suggestion.

Burnley spent near to **** all.
Derby spent near to **** all.

Yet they're the ones vying for promotion. QPR on the other hand have been far from extragant in performances given the wages. Still got relegated from the premier league and looked no way near a top team in the championship.

Forest, spent £12 million. Look where they are. Call me an idiot all you want. You're borderline retarded if you believe spending creates ton of results

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Anyone who questions Tony Bloom's financial commitment to the club needs their head examining.

However, Oscar got no help in the January window and Ashley Barnes was never replaced successfully (Lindgard was ok but a slightly different type of player ).
He was sold in the last week. How could we possibly find an adequate replacement in time?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
My bad, mistaken him for someone else. But again, we made bids for Grabban, unsuccessful. How many scouts do we have and how many reports on Barnes like players do we have?

But the club have bigged up the scouting setup headed by Burke and it didn't deliver.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The hotel is a revenue stream for the pitch you muppet.

If we're making substantial losses now, under current agreements, you think it's a good idea to spend spend spend? I'm glad you're no way near the financial department of the club, you could budget yourself for a sweet shop. You're then assuming all 20,000 or so fans are "new" which is even more moronic than your current suggestion.

Burnley spent near to **** all.
Derby spent near to **** all.

Yet they're the ones vying for promotion. QPR on the other hand have been far from extragant in performances given the wages. Still got relegated from the premier league and looked no way near a top team in the championship.

Forest, spent £12 million. Look where they are. Call me an idiot all you want. You're borderline retarded if you believe spending creates ton of results

Good post. I'd *MUCH* rather be a Burnley or a Derby than a QPR or Forest.

Crazy that so many people think that spending is a guaranteed way to succeed in football.

Coaching and nurturing can be just as effective, more rewarding and, of course, less risky, than pissing away millions.

Let's see some more investment from fans please - time and patience.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Good post. I'd *MUCH* rather be a Burnley or a Derby than a QPR or Forest.

Crazy that so many people think that spending is a guaranteed way to succeed in football.

Coaching and nurturing can be just as effective, more rewarding and, of course, less risky, than pissing away millions.

Let's see some more investment from fans please - time and patience.

I don't think anyone wants us to be like QPR, but Burnley are a good example, a good solid squad that had made progress under the previous manager and the just made signings where they knew they were a bit short. Barnes was brought in to beef up an already good strike force, but that sale weakened us and left Ulloa with too much to do and no options if he was injured or needed a rest. Although he was sold early in the window, in reality the club knew way before that he would leave as he had turned down the new contract and there were no ongoing negotiations with the club, so it was inevitable that we would try to get some money for him before his contract expired. Although the Bridcutt sale was late in the window, that was also down to the club as Sunderland were after him right from the start of the window and we dragged out the sale leaving no time to reinvest the proceeds.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Burnley invested a bit when they were riding high already.

If we'd splashed £10m (ha!) in Jan we still wouldn't have got 2nd. We'd still be in the playoff lottery.

Anyway, we know the club tried to make signings.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Why don't you send the club an email and see what you get back?

Dear Tony Bloom,
I know you paid for the £120M Amex and the £30M training facility. And I know you're covering the £8M we're losing every year. And I know you'll likely never see any of that money again. But I don't care. It is simply not enough for my liking. I want more. More money. More. Me me me.

Kind Regards,
Albion15 x

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Why don't you send the club an email and see what you get back?

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, Bloom is not the only stakeholder in the club and it's getting a bit tedious people going on about how much he has invested. We all know this and are truly grateful, however, it's clear looking at the squad now that it does desperately need a significant amount of investment.

I also don't think that Bloom exclusively should be bankrolling the club, but there's a clear need for new investment to come in just purely for the playing budget because as supporters, we've also spent a considerable amount more than we ever have on merchandise and on the "match day experience" and if we're not entertained and there's no ambition on the pitch, then those extra 18,000 supporters who spend their hard earnt money on season tickets and who the club needs to survive will soon get fed up in watching an underachieving team and decide to spend their money on other things and we'll end up playing in front of 7-9000 fans like we have done in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

I still say that when the Chairman comes out at the beginning of the season like he did in August and say things like "we will have a team who will be capable of competing at the top of the table" or a CEO who keeping talking about being "Premier League Ready" leads to unrealistic expectations.

People also need to realise that the training ground also isn't going to be a magic wand to success. Footballers are footballers and a majority are renowned for wanting to play for clubs who give them the highest salary, not who have the nicest facilities!

At the end of the day, a nice stadium, full capacity and decent training facilities are not going to bring you success. Investment over 2-3 years in the squad, like we saw at Leicester and Cardiff, will. This year there has been no investment at all other than Stephens and Agustein and that showed yesterday when we had no central defensive cover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here