Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom - you reap what you sow

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Board have serious questions to answer. 2 managers in 12 months walked, seemingly as they don't think they can take the club further than play offs. Stadium etc great, but we are turning into a joke.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Apart from CMS, we have not signed any established players for a long time.

Bridcutt - released by Chelsea after no appearances
Bennett - never played for Wolves
Murray - semi-established but with Rochdale.
Barnes - played 22 times for Plymouth, scoring twice.

We are not going to be able to compete with most of our rivals on transfer fees and wages for established players. We need to be more clever and look harder to unearth some more gems.

There is much truth in this although i thought we paid £2m for ulloa as well,but in the main we have spent (fees wise) very little..
I suspect Tony could offer more,but for the now the stadium and all that goes with it takes priority..

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
I think OG has performed some kind of minor miracle getting that squad into the playoffs under the circumstances (Not getting to bring in his own players and relying on three youth players to play with some degree of regularity). I'm amazed he's been criticised for playing negatively too. I think he's played the hand he was dealt and used this system to optimise our chance of winning games. Christ knows what some of the 'free spirits' on here would have to say if we were to have played an free flowing open game and been languishing at the foot of the table due to the squads lack of pace/inadequacy to play in this manner.

As far as the excuse of "we sold them at the end of the window therefore we had no time to find replacements" it is utter tosh. Scouting should be a 24/7/365 job and there should be lists and lists of players already compiled for both future transfers and current contingency plans should something unexpected occur in the transfer windows.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes. Yes it should. It's the only thing that counts in footballing terms. There's money for training grounds and hotels and the like, but Ashley Barnes is allowed to wander off in January for a relatively piddly rise in wages. So two or three clear-cut chances in the box per game have gone begging with nobody anywhere near to cash in on on them. That's just one example. Bridcutt? Murray? Bennett? With a relatively modest beefing up of the wage structure, we wouldn't have to be smuggling players into the Premier League one at a time. One day the penny will drop. I'm pretty sure Tony Bloom would quite like at least a Wembley play-off final sometime soon for his investment.

The wage bill increased by 50% in 2012/13

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
So with three loanees as first-choices and 10 players out of contract in June along with the obvious players who cant last 90 minutes on a regular basis or put in a full season you dont think the team needs investment?!!

Who's the ******* prick? ?!!!!!!

No, actually... Come to to think of it, what we should all be doing is having a pop at the guy who has invested MILLIONS into our club to save it and get us where we are today, for not investing enough money.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They just looked more up to it than us ... Ulloa was missing once again, thought CMS looked good again. A fair few changes now required if we want to move to the next level

Again Lingard was the only attacking player to come out with credit.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
No need for that. It's all very well spending £150m - £200m but what is the point when we have such a shit squad. Our gates won't be anywhere near like this season if the club don't invest.

Wow. Still 20,000+STs sold..

You know why is the point improving the infrastructure of a club for it's long term success and sustainability.

You're an idiot.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Wow. Still 20,000+STs sold..

You know why is the point improving the infrastructure of a club for it's long term success and sustainability.

You're an idiot.

It's not worth spending £200m on the ground, training ground, hotel and can't invest on the pitch. If the attendances drop then the playing budget drops due to FFP and if we have no team to entertain these new fans then again the attendances will drop even more meaning less money to invest in the playing side.

You're the idiot!

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
It's not worth spending £200m on the ground, training ground, hotel and can't invest on the pitch. If the attendances drop then the playing budget drops due to FFP and if we have no team to entertain these new fans then again the attendances will drop even more meaning less money to invest in the playing side.

You're the idiot!
Now now ladies lets stick to abusing the odd palarse troll on here.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
To be fair we've sold two of our best players for big money, and this money has not been reinvested into the playing squad.

If we didn't get our books right in readiness for FFP we wouldn't be investing in anyone next season if we were hit with a transfer embargo.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Tony took a punt that we wouldn't miss Bridders because Ince would continue to develop and we wouldn't need two defensive midfielders with Stephens in the team. He was unlucky with that one. He also tool a punt that we could let Adam go because he would only play if three first choice defenders got injured. He was unlucky again with that. And if CMS can only make the bench I don't think Barnes is starting.

TB is a gambler. He knows there was no guarantee of success if he did spend the money. Good gamblers bet when the odds are I'm their favour. Good poker players are patient. Tony is both. He will keep placing sensible bets and one day our time will come.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
No, actually... Come to to think of it, what we should all be doing is having a pop at the guy who has invested MILLIONS into our club to save it and get us where we are today, for not investing enough money.

Instead of being a gobshite mouthy **** perhaps you should re-read the OP, then re-read mine and then tell us why we don't need investment in the team?!
I look forward to your intelligent response which will make me realise that you are not a brain-dead tw@t who can't think for themselves! SO - lets hear why someone who suggests we need investment in this squad is a '******* prick'??!!!

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
never mind investment in this team, we need a whole new team, save a few.
think this was the "ceiling" that Gus was on about, a lack of investment/ambition

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nah, lets not have this kind of thread. There may be things to be critical about, but the level of investment in the team shouldn't be one of them

You KNOW the thread was stupid when I can agree with this posters response to it :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here