Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom in the ABSOLUTELY THEORETICAL EVENT OF US REACHING THE Premier League

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He'll blow the prem money on players to stay in it. He'll be over the moon and glad that somebody else is finally chipping in. If he ever wants some of his money back he can do that later if we are able to establish ourselves.

Tony has not built this club up to be one season wonder, and anyone who has seen or met him on the train platform at away games will realise he is not in this for the money, but he's in it as a fan.

Yeah. my question - my wondering really - is whether he keeps pumping money in ON TOP of the premier league money?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yeah. my question - my wondering really - is whether he keeps pumping money in ON TOP of the premier league money?

I would suspect he would pump in less. If Sky are giving him a £100m pretty sure you'd burn that up for the time being. If spent wisely then that should be enough to keep us up, especially coming from the championship we will not be burdened by previously loaded contracts. Consolidation would surely be the initial aim and you should not overspend to do that..

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I think he will want to get BHA constantly moving forward on and off the pitch. This is a man who has the club's best interests at heart, so in answer to your question he'll do whatever he feels required to get a platform of stability up there.

The encouraging thing is we have always been sensible with our transfer policy, even in this league. Other than one poor season since we moved into our new home, it's hard not to trust whatever decisions he makes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shouldnt really need to. there's so much money there now, allowing clubs to adopt a sensible wage structure and transfer pot that attracts a few key "star" players and a decent squad. if they prepare for the worst with sensible release contracts/wage deductions, relegation shouldnt be feared economically, keeping player signings to decent medium/long term players and not emergency crack covering at exhoribant cost. the reason most clubs get into trouble, desperate to keep the money coming in, gamble constantly losing most the time)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If we get promoted, I would expected he would try and balance recouping some of his outlay with ensuring staying in the Premier league.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I expect him to go pretty much all in and target Champions League. He has publicly stated his aim is for the Albion to play the highest standard of club football available.

He can afford it - why not?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All these people scared to be confident that we're going up . .. remember this time next year we're going to be getting dicked over by Liverpool and hammered at Spurs
We're not getting dicked by Liverpool or hammered by Spurs, get used to it.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Just want TB to get there, to start recouping some of his outrageously generous outlay. Very much doubt there's a single chairman/fan out there who deserves it more.

Agree with this but in the real world players and their agents finish up with huge amounts,despite paying millions we are not going to attract the top stars and in our relegation battles those who are praising Chris and the team will turn on them,the result showed in Birminghams gate on Saturday below 18,000,Channel 5 football program confirms this trend, modern stadiums hardly half full after relegation from the top league, rather a top half in the Championship for me

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have no answer; just wanted to say that for some reason I read 'theoretical' and 'theatrical' and my mind instantly filled with stage directions as if our promotion push were a West End show.

Carry on.

He's behind you!

larus

Just my personal opinion. I hope we adopt a cautious/sensible approach (which we currently seem to be doing anyway). By this I mean we aim to strengthen where we need to, but buy players for sensible (all relative I know) money and on reasonable wages.

Ideally, we will run a budget surplus over each season and this will allow TB to at least see some of his outlay returned. If that means a few years of fighting near the bottom of the league, then I'm relaxed about that.

We don't have the right to expect TB to :
1. continue to fund on-going losses.
2. not to be able to get a gradual return on his investment.

I know he's a fan and want success too, so I am confident whatever the plan is, it won't be at the risk of the club. If we can't compete straight away then at least we have the parachute payments, but as we can see, that doesn't guarantee an easy return.

If/when we get there, I just dread the posts from some fans demanding we throw the cash at such a player and not lacking ambition. You know it will happen! :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Prudent investment with a sensible wage cap. The opportunity to sit back and enjoy the PL games (when we get there) and a reduction in his annual outlay due to the revenue income.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I personally think (begrudgingly) that out model would be similar to clubs like Southampton. Try and get good players in through the academy as well as young Hungary players who want to show what they can, and potentially sell some on for big money to the top sides whilst reinvesting that back in to the squad. Leicester showed what can be achieved. But Southampton have created a very stable and sustainable model. 6th place and some good cup runs is a solid place to be aiming if we got there.
LONG WAY to go yet though we are yet to reach halfway and any blips will be punished by someone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here