Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Bloody KIDS

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I also remember doing Bob a Job in the 60s for the 44th troop (who were really good), was enjoyable for the most part - although there was always the odd one that got you working most of the day and then only gave a Bob!! (Surrenden Road houses mainly....)

I was with the 44th in the mid 80's...was still the best troop in town (at football, and most other things!) :D

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I hope they take contactless payment, don't carry cash these days!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As a schoolboy I did various money earning things:

Paper round, delivered Thursday free papers, washed cars, worked for the milkman on Saturdays (when they’d collect the weeks money), had a Saturday job, delievered leaflets, did penny for the Guy, did carol singing, etc etc.

Spent the whole lot on hash and bottles of Thunderbird. Good times.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a schoolboy I did various money earning things:

Paper round, delivered Thursday free papers, washed cars, worked for the milkman on Saturdays (when they’d collect the weeks money), had a Saturday job, delievered leaflets, did penny for the Guy, did carol singing, etc etc.

Spent the whole lot on hash and bottles of Thunderbird. Good times.

I did the free papers once a week, Butchers Saturday, fixed bikes, mowed lawns

I invested a little more wisely, but not much. :rolleyes:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
:lolol:

But seriously, yes, this is great. My twin Brother and I did similar in our summer holidays. Car washing and bit of gardening/tidying. Most people gave us something to do but we did get the odd grump. I remember one rather posh woman actually saying something like "I didn't go through labour three times and ruin my life raising them for them to sit on their backsides while I pay someone else to do my chores". We were about 14 :lolol: We slowly backed away down the drive. :lolol:

We did Bob a Job in the Easter Holidays.

Sometimes for a "bob" an hour!!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
In the olden days I remember bob a job week

A few weeks ago I saw a group of scouts scrounging outside B&Q for a new hut. Lazy *****

we worked our arses off for the 3rd Shoreham seas scouts new building in the early 80's . . . . The nice wooden hut on Ropetackle was going to get knocked down ( for no good reason as far as I can tell)

I left the scouts before they got anywhere near my arse. . . .
I was at 3rd Shoreham from mid 70s to about 1980. Bob a job week was common then. Living on Shoreham Beach at the time there were plenty of large lawns that could get mown and cars washed. The wooden hut was all I ever knew until one day back from uni I saw the phoenix that was the new building the other side of the river

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
...being enterprising and pleasant

Whilst WFH today, I was interrupted this afternoon with a ring at the door. Sighing deeply with mild irritation, I yomped to the front door, and was confronted by two girls of around 12 years old, and a lad slightly younger, maybe ten. They were sporting buckets, and sponges.

"Can we clean your car ?" They chimed. I stood for a second, nonplussed, then clocked all the birdshit on my Honda. "How much ?" I opined. "£2" was the chirpy reply.

After checking they were all properly sponged up and not using scouring pads, I stroked one of my chins. "Deal" I said. "And if you do a good job, get all that poop off, and do the alloys then I'll make it a fiver". Grins as wide the M4, they cracked on with it. I provided them with a small stool so they could reach the roof, and a Coke Zero was supplied to them halfway through. Its not the BEST finish I've ever seen on carwash to be fair, but they took a good 30-40 minutes and really did their best.

How lovely is that ? Proper old school. Kids putting down the phones and iPads, going out and earning some pocket money in their hols. It felt like being transported back to 1985. Fair warmed my heart that did today.

:ohmy:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was at 3rd Shoreham from mid 70s to about 1980. Bob a job week was common then. Living on Shoreham Beach at the time there were plenty of large lawns that could get mown and cars washed. The wooden hut was all I ever knew until one day back from uni I saw the phoenix that was the new building the other side of the river

It all got a bit fiesty, bullying and stuff, probably around 1983? so we left. I do have fond memories of stuff though, summer camp near Lyme Regis, a field full of girl guides next door, canoeing at Axmouth. Easter camp and snow in Suffolk.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just been offered a catalytic converter for a Honda by three kids. Not much use to me but I bought the foot stool for a fiver.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

A few weeks ago I saw a group of scouts scrounging outside B&Q for a new hut. Lazy *****

we worked our arses off for the 3rd Shoreham seas scouts new building in the early 80's . . . . The nice wooden hut on Ropetackle was going to get knocked down ( for no good reason as far as I can tell)

Pound for pound, I think the most satisfying money I've earned in my life was as a scout during bob-a-job week where me and two friends were given a fiver to dismantle a wooden shed with hand axes.

We would have been about 13 or 14 tops. No goggles, no gloves.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Pound for pound, I think the most satisfying money I've earned in my life was as a scout during bob-a-job week where me and two friends were given a fiver to dismantle a wooden shed with hand axes.

Most lucrative earner I remember was me and my mate Simon, when we were 8, someone told us about scrap metal so we were wading around in the mud on the river bank collecting copper rivets from a burnt down houseboat. took us a week after school, had a big bag full. My step dad took us to the scrappy and we got £5.50 (1979)

We were ****ing minted, straight to Woolies and cleaned the place out of toys and sweets! I probably got pissed on cherryade! :lolol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Less than 2 quid each for 40mins work!? That's the middle class for ya

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Wasn't bob-a-job money meant to go to the Scouts though??

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Decimalisation was in 1971 - what did "bob-a-job" become after that?

10p a job doesn't quite have the same ring to it ....

Was it hit with inflation and became "quid-a-job"?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't bob-a-job money meant to go to the Scouts though??
Yes, I earned it for the scouts, but this was 1981 when it would have taken 10 jobs to earn the £1.67 I got from the shed demolition. The going rate was about 50p an hour for child labour back then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

When I was nine I did bob a job week. One woman was so impressed with my 'doing the shopping' she asked me if I'd like to do it every Saturday as a private arrangement. Two and six a week. Did it for 3 years. When my dad bought a hi fi nothing sounded sweeter than my first LP, Aqualung, bought with my own money.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We all had part time jobs when aged about 10…….. mainly nicking lead off roofs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here