Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blocking immigration vans, for or against?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm personally waiting to see if [MENTION=21996]Czechmate[/MENTION] has slept it off

Having read his contributions to the other thread I think it will be a treat to have him back.

Gotta love some alternative facts :lolol:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I personally would rather we worked with the EU and targeted spending to set up safe zones in North Africa and maybe Turkey with proper facilities schools medical and asylum claims can be assessed those with a valid claim get the golden ticket and access for the rest it is explained that unfortunately access into any EU and British territory has been denied and they are to be returned to their country of origin.

Alternatively I would rather any asylum seekers who arrive at the French north coast are instead of paying traffickers they are allowed to catch a cross channel ferry once in the uk they would be taken to a camp with schools hospitals and assessed for asylum if then found to not meet the criteria they would be returned to their country of origin

But and it’s a very big but the asylum checking needs to be sympathetic

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Alternatively I would rather any asylum seekers who arrive at the French north coast are instead of paying traffickers they are allowed to catch a cross channel ferry once in the uk they would be taken to a camp with schools hospitals and assessed for asylum if then found to not meet the criteria they would be returned to their country of origin

that would be sensible. though people are objecting the second part of that, having a assement centre in Yorkshire, so no pleasing some.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

I still don't understand why pressure is not put on 'safe countries' like France, Spain & Germany to set up better systems there.

Why are the continually allowed to step aside and let people congregate at the Channel?

Once here, they can't prove Country of Origin so cant be 'sent back'.

I know we have an obligation to assist but I always feel that the EU are taking the p1ss.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its gonna be great, some people are going to be for and some against. We probably know who is who and what is what.

Shall we just skip to abusing each other and then let PPF scream his nonsense into the void of the Bear Pit?

Hang on is he still on here?

It looks like he may well have been taken outside the tent and invited to walk around in the snow for a bit.

I'd be surprised if we have anyone left who will line up foresquare behind Priti Patel.

(Aside for anything else they'd no longer be able to see anything :shrug:)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
question is if you believe in rule of law or mob rule. you dont have to like the law, but where next if you accept mob rule instead?

they aren't removing that particular person for giggles, there'll be a reason and doubt the mob have full facts of the matter.

Not for 'giggles' but for poltical showboating.This country has a long proud tradition of activism and protest, backed by the basic underlying decency of the British people.. If we lose that we are in trouble.

Immigration is a very complex debate that is regularly presented in simplistic ways for political gain.

Bottom line is that people have always moved around, for lots of different reasons, and will always do so. And, in the main, this is good. It's how cultures develop, are challenged and improve. It's how we learn about others and how others learn about us. It is not without problems of course.

With ever increasing access to information, and with it getting easier and easier to move around, and with ever increasing conflict, climate change and global inequality,more people will move. And our colonial legacy (from which we have benefited hugely) and our tradition of multi-culturalism (again which has been hugely beneficial) means that the UK will always be a desitination of choice for many.

Trying to stop people moving is a nonsense. A pipe dream. Blaming the people smugglers is too easy. Supply and demand (as with with drug dealers) means that new routes will open where others are shut. People with nothing to lose will just keep going. We have to manage it. And there's no easy way to do that. But ultimately everyone I know that works on this - from both sides - tends to come to the same conclusions. It's the less 'sexy' policies that will work, and it will require a well thought through plan, invested in and implemented over many years. Not political posturing with unworkable, immoral, stunts like the Rwanda policy.

So...A well thought out, and well managed visa ssytem. Invest in a better system of decision making on asylum claims so that people are given quick decisions which are based on good information. Let people work and contribute while awaiting their decisions. Invest in better services where needed. Invest in suport for integration and understanding.Treat peple with humanity, and demand that our authorities treat people with humanity. Invest in ways to challenge the utter shite that is spewed out from our right wing press, so called 'leaders' and on social media,

None of this will happen under this government, or any time soon. So sitting in front of vans is the best we can do for now.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I still don't understand why pressure is not put on 'safe countries' like France, Spain & Germany to set up better systems there.

Why are the continually allowed to step aside and let people congregate at the Channel?

I know we have an obligation to assist but I always feel that the EU are taking the p1ss.

I think the EU has done loads, and there are massive problems throught Europe, but we only 'see' Calais and the channel.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
question is if you believe in rule of law or mob rule. you dont have to like the law, but where next if you accept mob rule instead?

they aren't removing that particular person for giggles, there'll be a reason and doubt the mob have full facts of the matter.

When the state is carrying out a racist endeavor mob rule sounds like a better alternative to me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It looks like he may well have been taken outside the tent and invited to walk around in the snow for a bit.

I'd be surprised if we have anyone left who will line up foresquare behind Priti Patel.

(Aside for anything else they'd no longer be able to see anything :shrug:)

Why, did she bring that box to stand on again :shrug:

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

The alternative to your point is that lots of pretty abhorrent things were legal in the past, many of those things only changed through community action.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
that would be sensible. though people are objecting the second part of that, having a assement centre in Yorkshire, so no pleasing some.

I don't think that the crux of opposition to the conservatives' approach to asylum seekers centres around an objection to an assessment centre in Yorkshire. It is the ludicrous Rwanda gambit that appears to be nothing more than gammon-bait.

However, why you presumably think having an assessment centre in Yorkshire is obviously a good idea is uncler. If there are practical reasons, (such as there being a freakish glut of asylum seeker assessment experts in Yorkshire), fine. However it seems a bit peculiar given that the most common arrival point from a Calais departure is very certainly not Scarborough.

Call me a cynic but could this not be a vindictive act, forcing people arriving on the Kent coast to travel in a hot cramped van to Yorkshire for assessment?

As it happens on of my brothers is involved in assessment of young male asylum seekers, and it all happens in the South East. And, yes, most of them abscond at the drop of a hat. Rather than Yorkshire perhaps the assessment centre should be in the middle of Dartmoor.

Anyway, you seem to be enjoying a nice sneer at people who are not outraged at the protesters, so I look forward to you next interesting fact and presumption that 'we' won't be pleased about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I personally would rather we worked with the EU and targeted spending to set up safe zones in North Africa and maybe Turkey with proper facilities schools medical and asylum claims can be assessed those with a valid claim get the golden ticket and access for the rest it is explained that unfortunately access into any EU and British territory has been denied and they are to be returned to their country of origin.

But and it’s a very big but the asylum checking needs to be sympathetic

But we have left the EU, and it is Johnsonian policy to have nothing to do with their foreign ideas, foreign plans etc. Foreigners should take their lead from our Great British ideas. The immigrants all come from the EU, so it's their fault. They won't take them back so we have to sell them to the Rwandans. Simple :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The alternative to your point is that lots of pretty abhorrent things were legal in the past, many of those things only changed through community action.

Borethem is simply grabbing at lazy tropes to justify his support for Priti Patel.There is nothing anyone can say to change this :shrug:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

We have about 135,000 refugees (similar to Spain, Italy, Greece and Austria). Sweden has twice that number. France, 3 times more. Germany has over a million more. Turkey, 3.5 million more.

What's more, 75% of refugees are based in neighbouring countries. 85% are in the "developing" world.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SM.POP.REFG?locations=EU

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/asylum-in-... are there,are hosted by developing countries.

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Asylum-in-Europe-May-2020.pdf

https://www.unhcr.org/refugee-statistics/

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
A man arrested for immigration offences was released on bail after protesters gathered in south-east London on Saturday for hours to block a van he was being transported in from leaving.

Video footage posted on Twitter showed a crowd of about 200 people sitting on the ground in front of the vehicle in Peckham while another clip showed members of the public standing and shouting “let him go”.

The police were against ... (Seemed to be assulting peaceful protesters)

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/stat...24513|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=about:srcdoc

People were for...

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1535684313605357571?s=20&t=-YTIJ-Gbf4eW-3mPa_A8SQ

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The public should not try to stop the police doing their job . We don’t live in a police state , in a free democratic country , laws should be enforced .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Obviously the honorable thing to do. **** the law - just because a law is a law doesn't make it right or something you shouldn't contest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here