Blockbuster now in administration

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
It's a shame, I think I'm in the minority that prefer to go and pick up a DVD/Blu-ray for a night from Blockbuster rather than download something from the Xbox/iTunes (or even stream films). There aren't many other places around that rent stuff Blockbuster do.

Their prices have been rising and rising over the last few years though and I suppose their demise is inevitable.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Blockbuster missed such a big trick when the transition from shop to online rental happened. They already had an established name, so should have had a massive advantage over the likes of Lovefilm, but they ballsed up and got left in the dust.

They're also not helped at all by the fact that films are no longer released on rental before general sale, and the fact that DVDs are so cheap - most older films can be had for £3-4 new so there's really no market for renting them. Blockbuster were also always shafted by studios, who charged massive amounts for rental copies.

That said, I really bemoan the loss of the rental shop market. I have Sky Movies and am a member of Lovefilm, so I have overwhelming access to films - far too many to keep up with. What both these services lack, however, is the ability to get what I want when I want it. At the moment I really want to see Prometheus, but it could be ages before I get it through Lovefilm. Hopefully it will be on Sky Movies soonish, but if I didn't have Sky (and if I was paying for it I certainly wouldn-t - it's horrendous value) I wouldn't have access to it for a while.

D

Deleted member 22389

Got to start asking yourself where and how are the new jobs going to be created in the economy because I honestly think is the best it is going to get?
We don't have millions of manufacturing jobs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Used to belong to the one on London Rd but have always preferred the smaller ones like Video Box or my regular shop for years was Tomorrows World on 7 Dials. Sounds sad but I have good memories of Tomorrows World but it'll be gone soon I've no doubt.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Blockbuster missed such a big trick when the transition from shop to online rental happened. They already had an established name, so should have had a massive advantage over the likes of Lovefilm, but they ballsed up and got left in the dust.

They're also not helped at all by the fact that films are no longer released on rental before general sale, and the fact that DVDs are so cheap - most older films can be had for £3-4 new so there's really no market for renting them. Blockbuster were also always shafted by studios, who charged massive amounts for rental copies.

That said, I really bemoan the loss of the rental shop market. I have Sky Movies and am a member of Lovefilm, so I have overwhelming access to films - far too many to keep up with. What both these services lack, however, is the ability to get what I want when I want it. At the moment I really want to see Prometheus, but it could be ages before I get it through Lovefilm. Hopefully it will be on Sky Movies soonish, but if I didn't have Sky (and if I was paying for it I certainly wouldn-t - it's horrendous value) I wouldn't have access to it for a while.

Completely this. just like Kodak in terms of once having such a huge market share but failed to move with the times.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

All true. Tip though, Prometheus is a piece of shit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ok these online retailers. They might provide us the consumer with value for money, but what they don't do is create thousands of jobs. Hence why we need manufacturing again in this country.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll have a P-45 please Bob
:lolol:

They sure did. This applies to companies like HMV too though, they had a big name and should have sold cheap online and moved their empire there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports