Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Blimey! New Apple product range leaked

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Tip: Buy your apple products on a 4-6 year cycle and you can actually see the difference in products.

Love the video which is depressingly accurate, but absolutely agree with this. My iPhone 11 is beginning to misbehave in terms of vastly reduced battery life, and overheating and switching itself off in hot weather. It’s been in to the Apple Store, and they’ve given it the best clean up they can, which has improved things slightly, but it’s still prone to apps that used to behave themselves closing unexpectedly or hanging and needing to be closed/restarted.

I was hoping that this beauty would be available in an international version that I could use with EE:

Sadly not though. Which means I’m going to be suckered into another 3/4 years with Apple, not because I love Apple, but because the alternative (Android) is worse, and effectively just a data gathering terminal for Google.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Any chance of pinning to the top, @Bozza?!
I'm currently in a small tent outside the Regent Street store, ahead of Tuesday's "Wonderlust" event.

As soon as I get home, I'll get right onto this for you.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Tip: Buy your apple products on a 4-6 year cycle and you can actually see the difference in products.
Yeah, my wife has recently mentioned that her Apple Watch (why isn’t it an iWatch?) is 4 years old, probably won’t get any more update, and has a couple of dead pixels. I can predict what birthday present she’ll be buying herself from me. No idea what new features it’ll have. On the plus side, she’ll give me an Apple Watch that’s 4 years old, etc, etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah, my wife has recently mentioned that her Apple Watch (why isn’t it an iWatch?) is 4 years old, probably won’t get any more update, and has a couple of dead pixels. I can predict what birthday present she’ll be buying herself from me. No idea what new features it’ll have. On the plus side, she’ll give me an Apple Watch that’s 4 years old, etc, etc.
Far be it from me to question your good lady, but the most recent Apple Watch out of support is Series 3, which was released in 2017, so is six years old. (She may have bought it later than that, obviously).

And even though it's out of support, it still functions perfectly.

I have Sonos speakers newer that Sonos have kinda abandoned, technically at least, but they still work fine so I'm in no rush to replace them at all.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And, by way of comparison, just peeking over into Samsung-land, I read that the Samsung Active Watch 2 was released in 2019, and support for it ceased in 2022.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Far be it from me to question your good lady, but the most recent Apple Watch out of support is Series 3, which was released in 2017, so is six years old. (She may have bought it later than that, obviously).

I have Sonos speakers newer that Sonos have kinda abandoned, technically at least, but they still work fine so I'm in no rush to replace them at all.
Rather than my good lady being wrong, I suspect I wasn't listening properly! She's always one for having the latest tech, so it may well be 6 years old, or it may be the Series 4. Not sure when support expires for that.

But she also mentions that it now doesn't reliably record her "standing" hours.

The old watch won't be wasted though - I shall make good use of it, as my FitBit battery is on the way out.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

I love my Sonos kit … it works. I often read people meaning about loss of connection etc - which is often down to something else completely … like home Wi-Fi set up or user error.

Mrs HS is still using the MacBook Air that I bought in November 2012 which I passed onto her when I bought my new Mac Air in June 2020. Both still work perfectly and I don’t get the grief from Mrs HS that I always used to when she had a Windows laptop. Her iPad is a 5th Generation that I bought for her birthday in 2017. She uses it all the time without any issues. The only challenge she has is that the iPad is only 32GB so when she’s downloading loads of stuff for holiday - which she’s been doing today - she gets lose to running out of space.

Like Sonos … Apple products just work for me. On the few times I’ve bought something from Apple that I decided I wouldn’t get use out of … like the Apple Pencil … I just took it back and got a refund. You can do this within 14 days - no questions asked!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rather than my good lady being wrong, I suspect I wasn't listening properly! She's always one for having the latest tech, so it may well be 6 years old, or it may be the Series 4. Not sure when support expires for that.

But she also mentions that it now doesn't reliably record her "standing" hours.

The old watch won't be wasted though - I shall make good use of it, as my FitBit battery is on the way out.
TBH, it sounds like she just wants a shiny new watch!

I've got a series 4 and, again, absolutely no rush to change it. It was the Watch that alerted me to my heart playing up last weekend, which made me act and speak to my GP.

I'm long past chasing new tech - all our Apple stuff just goes and goes. My Phone is a 12, Mrs B has a X and our son has an 11. All run well, speedily and with decent battery life I'll watch the announcement on Tuesday with interest, but we won't be buying any of the shiny new stuff they unveil.

I'm typing this on a three-year old MacBook Pro, which is still an amazing bit of kit. My previous MacBook is used by my son every day - it must be seven or eight years old and still flies.

(I'm not suggesting long-lasting tech is particular to Apple, I can well believe that all modern tech is similar)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
TBH, it sounds like she just wants a shiny new watch!

I've got a series 4 and, again, absolutely no rush to change it. It was the Watch that alerted me to my heart playing up last weekend, which made me act and speak to my GP.

I'm long past chasing new tech - all our Apple stuff just goes and goes. My Phone is a 12, Mrs B has a X and our son has an 11. All run well, speedily and with decent battery life I'll watch the announcement on Tuesday with interest, but we won't be buying any of the shiny new stuff they unveil.

I'm typing this on a three-year old MacBook Pro, which is still an amazing bit of kit. My previous MacBook is used by my son every day - it must be seven or eight years old and still flies.

(I'm not suggesting long-lasting tech is particular to Apple, I can well believe that all modern tech is similar)
So, you've met her. :D

To be fair, we are getting into the habit of repairing old equipment, rather than replacing it, eg. electrical brushes on 10 year-old washing machine and glass jug on 7 (?) year-old coffee maker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here