Blatter re-elected as FIFA President

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If Labour want Cameron out they have to put their electable person up against him, moaning won't do it. QUOTE]

Has someone hacked your computer ?

The hypocrisy of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
surely the Europeans bodies also get there hands on the money
FIFA generates ?
Not sure if the loss of a World Cup is in any of their interests
If UEFA left, there'd still be the champions league, the Euros, then a new WC with other countries that wanted to join. We'd have the UEFA video game instead of FIFA, and the former would make more money. There'd be plenty of money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If UEFA left, there'd still be the champions league, the Euros, then a new WC with other countries that wanted to join. We'd have the UEFA video game instead of FIFA, and the former would make more money. There'd be plenty of money.

Money is part of the problem.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

I think that the main problem of UEFA leaving FIFA would be that FIFA would immediately say that any players from their remaining members would not be allowed to play again for their national teams or clubs.

I'm not sure how the Argies, Brazilians and African players, etc, would react to that.

Before anyone says it wont happen, it has before when a load of English players tried to play for South American countries in the 1950's and were immediately banned from playing again back here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think that the main problem of UEFA leaving FIFA would be that FIFA would immediately say that any players from their remaining members would not be allowed to play again for their national teams or clubs.

I'm not sure how the Argies, Brazilians and African players, etc, would react to that.

Before anyone says it wont happen, it has before when a load of English players tried to play for South American countries in the 1950's and were immediately banned from playing again back here.

I think the main issue with splitting away is that you wouldn't have a truly global game nor a truly global World Cup. A bad thing.

I think change has to come from within the organisation. It's ludicrous that only one person stood against Blatter this time. There must be other candidates aside from Luis Figo? So why don't more stand? Is Blatter paying people/associations off? Is the election process skewed? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know the finer details.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Joking aside, do you see my point?

I have of course read 'your point', but sadly I don't think it is anything to do with who stands against Mr. Blatter.

What I don't think most people understand is that Blatter almost certainly does NOT take bribes etc etc. He just enjoys the power of being head of FIFA.

To enable him to continue his 'power trip' he has allowed FIFA to be run by all the delegates in a manner that appears to have no transparency. This has resulted in the delegates from particularly all the poorer regions of the world to be corrupt and accept bribes from sponsors at will.

All the time their vote is equal to say the European nations, Blatter will never go until he chooses to do so.

Not even putting David Cameron up against him would work.

PS: I would describe my ability to operate a computer as 'poor'....and that is on a good day.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think the main issue with splitting away is that you wouldn't have a truly global game nor a truly global World Cup. A bad thing.

I think change has to come from within the organisation. It's ludicrous that only one person stood against Blatter this time. There must be other candidates aside from Luis Figo? So why don't more stand? Is Blatter paying people/associations off? Is the election process skewed? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know the finer details.

The issue as I see it is that he has promoted the sport to all of the little nations who previously were not getting a look in. Most African and Asian nations think that only Blatter will keep things that way. Hence he gets 100 votes straight away from Asia and Africa. I understand that a few didn't vote for him this time, but I doubt we will find out who. Essentially, he has used the little nations to keep him in his job. He has upset many UEFA nations obviously and the USA, but he doesn't care as he has the might of South Sudan to back him up.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The issue as I see it is that he has promoted the sport to all of the little nations who previously were not getting a look in. Most African and Asian nations think that only Blatter will keep things that way. Hence he gets 100 votes straight away from Asia and Africa. I understand that a few didn't vote for him this time, but I doubt we will find out who. Essentially, he has used the little nations to keep him in his job. He has upset many UEFA nations obviously and the USA, but he doesn't care as he has the might of South Sudan to back him up.

It's important to separate Asian & African delegates from Asian & African countries. The corruption amongst the folk that voted for Blatter is seemingly profound. Issa Hayatou, the head of the African equivalent of UEFA (CAF) whom has been in power since '88, regularly introduces Putin like laws to keep himself in power, the last being that you'll need to be over 70 years old to be president at their next election. He has obviously been accused of taking bribes for World Cup TV rights (by the BBC) and is being investigated by the IOC (if which he is a member too). Make no mistake, this is the calibre of man who voted for Blatter and who run our beautiful game.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

In that respect Blatter is actually continuing what his predecessor, Joao Havelange , did and he was his right hand man for 17 years. Havelange was successful at this because his predecessor, Britain's Sir Stanley Rous, was seen as being too Eurocentric to the detriment of the developing countries whilst his support for Apartheid South Africa lost him the support of near enough all Africa. For anybody to succeed against Blatter they need to balance all parts of the world equally and in a perceived fair way. UEFA withdrawing won't solve anything.

I have a feeling Prince Ali was a stalking horse and the fact he amassed 73 votes, which if you take away the 43-46 gained from UEFA countries, means 27-30 were gained from other Confederations normally supportive of Blatter which suggests there are cracks in the foundations of his support. I believe a decent opponent just needs to play the long game and wait as Blatter does not have time on his side, he is about to enter his 80s, nor can I see an obvious successor in the way he was to Havelange that will continue their policies. Another four years of Blatter acting as a figurehead whilst his satraps continue their dodgy dealing can only weaken his support in the long run.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
In that respect Blatter is actually continuing what his predecessor, Joao Havelange , did and he was his right hand man for 17 years. Havelange was successful at this because his predecessor, Britain's Sir Stanley Rous, was seen as being too Eurocentric to the detriment of the developing countries whilst his support for Apartheid South Africa lost him the support of near enough all Africa. For anybody to succeed against Blatter they need to balance all parts of the world equally and in a perceived fair way. UEFA withdrawing won't solve anything.

I have a feeling Prince Ali was a stalking horse and the fact he amassed 73 votes, which if you take away the 43-46 gained from UEFA countries, means 27-30 were gained from other Confederations normally supportive of Blatter which suggests there are cracks in the foundations of his support. I believe a decent opponent just needs to play the long game and wait as Blatter does not have time on his side, he is about to enter his 80s, nor can I see an obvious successor in the way he was to Havelange that will continue their policies. Another four years of Blatter acting as a figurehead whilst his satraps continue their dodgy dealing can only weaken his support in the long run.

Good post. 73 was more than he expected to get I reckon, so there are definitely cracks emerging. This is Blatter's last term anyway, so he will be going, but the question is wheher he will go before that. There must be another World Cup hosting vote sometime soon I guess, so that will be interesting to say the least.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Then a candidate needs to reach out to these nations and convince them to switch their vote. This is no different to any other election and similar to what the Labour Party needs to do to get back in power. I admit I don't know much about the FIFA process but I'm baffled as to why everyone knows he's corrupt but the only other candidate who stood is this Prince fella.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is where I'm coming from, and you have put it much more eloquently and thoughtfully than me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Then a candidate needs to reach out to these nations and convince them to switch their vote. This is no different to any other election and similar to what the Labour Party needs to do to get back in power. I admit I don't know much about the FIFA process but I'm baffled as to why everyone knows he's corrupt but the only other candidate who stood is this Prince fella.

It makes no sense to us as we try to live our lives on the straight and narrow. For many around the world, corruption and bribery are the norm (I can go and get you a South African Driving Licence even though you have never driven a car before, for example. Or if you go down the straight route and take your driving test within the law, you may have to give a paper handshake at the end to ensure that you pass). This is quite normal - it is outrageous to me, but many accept it as the norm.

Why vote for a candidate in FIFA that is going to frown upon your palm being greased? Or why are you going to vote against someone who you know is going to give you trouble if you do? The whole thing is crooked and unfathomable to us, but clearly it isn't to the majority of FIFA delegates.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It makes no sense to us as we try to live our lives on the straight and narrow. For many around the world, corruption and bribery are the norm (I can go and get you a South African Driving Licence even though you have never driven a car before, for example. Or if you go down the straight route and take your driving test within the law, you may have to give a paper handshake at the end to ensure that you pass). This is quite normal - it is outrageous to me, but many accept it as the norm.

Why vote for a candidate in FIFA that is going to frown upon your palm being greased? Or why are you going to vote against someone who you know is going to give you trouble if you do? The whole thing is crooked and unfathomable to us, but clearly it isn't to the majority of FIFA delegates.

Fair points. But the world has moved on from many accepted but morally and unethically palatable "norms" over the years. It can be done, and I think it's best done from within and with engagement and not with threats to pull out of FIFA. Threatening to pull out just makes you look like a spoilt child and rarely wins you friends.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fair points. But the world has moved on from many accepted but morally and unethically palatable "norms" over the years. It can be done, and I think it's best done from within and with engagement and not with threats to pull out of FIFA. Threatening to pull out just makes you look like a spoilt child and rarely wins you friends.

Neither does corruption and bribery on such a grand scale. FIFA is rotten from top to bottom-who gives a rat's ass what they think about Eufa, England, the USA, etc.? As the saying goes: Keep doing what you've been doing and you'll get what you've always got. Not doing anything is no longer an option.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

I tend to agree, particularly as some major football nations clearly back him. If we can get those on our side, then changes should be made, but if they aren't then you can look at breaking away as a group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports