Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blatter - Dead Man Walking

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
In most other industries, yes, you'd think someone in Blatter's position would be a dead man walking, wouldn't you?

However, that arrogant buffoon and the power brokers at the higher echelons of FIFA are so bent, that he will no doubt attempt to brazen this out in the knowledge that he still has almost 100% support in the African & Asian confederations. He's turning into a Mugabe sort of figure, continuously standing for re-election despite his age, and winning every time.

Funnily enough I was just thinking last night about how like Mugabe he is.....nearer to 100 than 50. The only man available as a choice in a (democratic!) vote. Totally delusional, utterly corrupt and offering idiotic ramblings about racism, homophobia etc etc. While the entity that he runs is totally mismanaged and gets caught up in scandal after scandal and slowly goes down the plughole under his tenure.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Platini putting the boot is another nail in the coffin but not enough, we need more powerful FA's to say they are not happy and a few more sponsors showing they may want to pull out or renegotiate sponsorship and Partner terms and conditions. But, the ball is rolling now thank goodness.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This.

Blatter may well get re-elected because

a. The delegates from Aisa / Africa won't want a new guy, elected on an anti-corruption ticket.
b. If those delegates stab him in the back, they run the risk of him taking them down with him.

Blatter will almost certainly get re-elected due to the African/Asian vote; he's promised them a load of cash. However, the hope is that all the UEFA nations - as well as the USA and Australia - leave FIFA. FIFA would lose all sponsors and collapse, hopefully.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The thing is, and this is a genuine question, that it only seems to be the British and American media putting the boot into Blatter and FIFA. Is this the case?

Whilst it is just Us, the Yanks and maybe the Aussies slagging off FIFA, we can just be dismissed as sore losers.

Is there genuinely the will throughout the rest of Europe (after all, it is the Europeans that watch Football and buy the merchandise) to have FIFA change?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Blatter seems to be similar to Bernie Ecclestone, both seem to have lost the plot as they have got older and both don't seem adverse to receiving rather rotund brown envelopes allegedly and both will end up destroying the sports they run

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The thing is, and this is a genuine question, that it only seems to be the British and American media putting the boot into Blatter and FIFA. Is this the case?

Whilst it is just Us, the Yanks and maybe the Aussies slagging off FIFA, we can just be dismissed as sore losers.

Is there genuinely the will throughout the rest of Europe (after all, it is the Europeans that watch Football and buy the merchandise) to have FIFA change?

His reaction at the UEFA meeting the other day indicates its most if not the whole of europe

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For a number of the African/Asian confederation delegates, there is some suggestion that them voting against Blatter would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. Massively biting the hand that feeds them. How many delegates from those federations have been linked to corruption themselves? Plenty.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But he doesn't care, does he? Look how many high ranking officials have been caught out taking or offering bribes and such in the past, including some of his closest cronies, and yet every time, Blatter manages to dodge the bullet. Presumably by handing out more cash. He seems to be bomb-proof.

I personally think things are starting to change. Some of the high profile sponsors are now starting to make noises. I reckon he will be ushered out of the door in a years time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I personally think things are starting to change. Some of the high profile sponsors are now starting to make noises. I reckon he will be ushered out of the door in a years time.

Hopefully yes. Money talks, as Uncle Sepp knows very well.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I'm interested in why people have such a downer on Platini. I know he's not been particularly complimentary or friendly to English/British football, but I didn't think there was the stench of corruption around him like there is with Blatter. Or have I missed something?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hopefully yes. Money talks, as Uncle Sepp knows very well.

I really hope things change. As you say money talks and FIFA are **** all without their big sponsors. Get a decent person at the top and then they can, in turn, deal with the coruption in other federations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm interested in why people have such a downer on Platini. I know he's not been particularly complimentary or friendly to English/British football, but I didn't think there was the stench of corruption around him like there is with Blatter. Or have I missed something?

Fair question. Anyone care to comment?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder what the German Federation think. Or whether the advantages of a fellow countryman at the helm means he will always get their support.

He's Swiss. But for what it is worth my German mother-in-law thinks the Swiss have funny accents and cuckoo clocks. Does this help you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here