Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blatter again.....

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Many players who move to Anzhi etc. for the money decide it was a mistake and go back on it. Doing something just because you're given a lot of money (obviously not a bribe that would be wrong) is usually a sign there is a problem with the decision to start with!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Few thoughts on this.

First, I'd like to see what sponsorship was attracted to a football tournament devoid of European and South American countries. Very little, and for that reason Blatter needs to think a little more about where the balance of power still lies in relation to football (regardless of wider politics) before making throw away comments.

Second, often in instances where serious negotiation is required - and in this case, FIFA simply need the above two continents on board, both at club/league and national level - I could see a very different footballing governing power structure post-2022 where the top leagues/clubs secure an even greater say in the way the game is governed.

Frankly, it wouldn't also surprise me if there was scope for a good old fashioned power struggle here. Just because FIFA have called the shots for years, doesn't mean it will always be so. And the door is ajar. If a collective representing most of the big nations told FIFA to do one - such as Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Spain, England - a World Cup could very quickly look like a damp squib to the footballing public and money men. And I'm sure the 'old world' would probably like to retain a bit of their power.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It won't be more midweek games, and nor will the World Cup be in the middle of the 2022-23 season. I'm sure the proposal that I read involved shifting the seasons either side as well, so that the 2022 season would run Feb-Nov.

Not sure Sky would be too impressed with that. They pay big money to cover test cricket not to mention rugby league and some golf and tennis. Trying to fit football into that lot would be a bit of a logistic nightmare - test matches are about eight hours a day, completing tying up one channel. To get round it, you'd have to have matches kicking off in the morning or some such nonsense. Sky would have a lot of clout in that situation.

The other thing with that when do the international players get a break. Say the WC is held in January. They'd be with their national teams in December, playing warm-ups etc, but if the 2021 season ends in November and the 2022 starts in January, they'd be playing football for 22 months non-stop. Would clubs really want their best players so knackered?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not sure Sky would be too impressed with that. They pay big money to cover test cricket not to mention rugby league and some golf and tennis. Trying to fit football into that lot would be a bit of a logistic nightmare - test matches are about eight hours a day, completing tying up one channel. To get round it, you'd have to have matches kicking off in the morning or some such nonsense. Sky would have a lot of clout in that situation.

The other thing with that when do the international players get a break. Say the WC is held in January. They'd be with their national teams in December, playing warm-ups etc, but if the 2021 season ends in November and the 2022 starts in January, they'd be playing football for 22 months non-stop. Would clubs really want their best players so knackered?

And also, it's the seasons either side that get bolloxed around with to make it work so that they can have a season that ends in November. That season can't start in August, so the previous season can't end in May.

It's venues as well, such as when Wembley is available for Play-off Finals, Cup Finals not in May. Do the amended calendars for the seasons before and after 2022 fit in at all well for the European Championships either side.

Realistically, you have a 10 month season, that may be able to be squeezed into 9 months, so what can you do once the Euros of 2020 end?

Just off the top of my head ... and starting the 2020-21 season as soon as the Euro 2020 tournament ends (those with players at that, will just have to suffer!)

Mid-July 2020 + 9 mths = mid-April 2021.
6 weeks off.
1st June 2021 + 9 mths = 28th Feb 2022.
6 weeks off.
Mid-April 2022 + 9 mths = mid-Jan 2023.

That doesn't give teams enough build-up to a WC before mid-Feb or start of March. Where else do you drag a couple of months out of that schedule? Only 4 weeks between seasons, and try to cram seasons down to 8 months, which is the equivalent of August to March!

I just don't see how it works.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's venues as well, such as when Wembley is available for Play-off Finals, Cup Finals not in May. Do the amended calendars for the seasons before and after 2022 fit in at all well for the European Championships either side.

Well, I'd imagine that the 2020 Euro champs would have to be winter as well.

As I said, I can't see it happening. The only way to run a winter WC is by having an extended winter break. England is one of the few countries that doesn't have one so it's not really a problem for Europe - they just extend it by a couple of weeks.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Anyone thinking this is simply an oversight by FIFA needs to think again. I wonder if the Qatari wealth had anything to do with the decision!!!

According to radio reports this morning it was always known a summer tournament would not be workable and once selected Blatter and FIFA would seek to work with the representatives from each federation to move it. A bit more cash flying around and no doubt this will go ahead in the winter.

The whole thing stinks but then this is FIFA we are talking about

Still can't believe Qatar got the nod over Australia!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Or, the leagues carry on as per usual but without any of the players that go off the World Cup! Might make the Premier League a bit enjoyable! Who knows who would win then! :p

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt there some revisionism going on here? im sure at the time the heat problem *was* raised and there was supposed to be clever designs of the stadium to use "traditional" cooling and where necessary actual air conditioning. people said it was bonkers, people said it was possible to engineer because Qatar has the funds.

then the engineers said, sorry, no its more tricky than we thought.

shirley this *must* have been in the bid proposal? the Qataris cant have put forward a plan without it being addressed, so has the bid been changed afterwards, invalidating it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here