Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blair 'advised Brooks before arrest'!

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Fair point. I read it as decent meaning morally decent. Then again if he were that he wouldn't be cosying up with Murdoch and his minions.

Again; morally decent has gone down the shit pan with politics as a whole, and all MPs following the expenses kick up.

He knew and maggie knew that they had to suck plenty of murdoch meat, and did it well. And it paid off for both of them. Major rode the waves of that for a bit and it won him an election (last tory leader to do so 22 years ago now).

Camerons failed and milliband couldnt in a month of sundays (forget clegg).

Be interesting to see how they cope.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What upsets me about this is even if found guilty, these people will earn a fortune afterwards from book deals and so forth. There's simply no shame left to leave the scene quietly, forever and in disgrace. Not that they need to work, they've made millions from controlling us already.

That and how clear it is that the odds of getting a conviction, given the power and backing of the establishment right up to PM level, are like a L3 side beating a top 4 Premiership team...over 2 legs!

All I can say is 'come on Bradford' ;)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Again; morally decent has gone down the shit pan with politics as a whole, and all MPs following the expenses kick up.

He knew and maggie knew that they had to suck plenty of murdoch meat, and did it well. And it paid off for both of them. Major rode the waves of that for a bit and it won him an election (last tory leader to do so 22 years ago now).

Camerons failed and milliband couldnt in a month of sundays (forget clegg).

Be interesting to see how they cope.

Sorry but when were MPs morally decent. We know more about what goes on because of 24hour news etc. I very much suspect MPs of all shades have had their fingers in the till for many years and of course there are always the scandals, Profumo, Parkinson, Thorpe etc etc.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Clearly a very poor judge of character. Brooks appears to be about as discreet as my schoolfriend's sister who not only told him what I suggested she could do as well as what we actually did!

He seems to have believed she is innocent. Would love to know why? Maybe he will be a character witness.

In answer to the earlier points I would say he was a brilliant but flawed politician. Not decent in terms of honourable though.

Irrespective of all of this, whoever the sun back will win the next election and that is the real pain in all of this

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
high up politicians dealing quietly with media tycoons to help them? such conspiratorial nonsense........

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Decent politicain; moot point? I would suggest not.

Politics these days isnt about politics. Blair won 3 elections (count them) by big majorities. So did Maggie. That must make him a decent politician surely by todays standards?

He was a massive liar, he was a warmonger, he looked after number one. Trademark politician credentials, to other politicians, that is very decent.

Dandyman

In London village.
He's a Tory trying to protect other Tories. He was always dazzled and impressed by big business, business leaders and those 'at the top', so probably just trying to ingratiate himself further. The smug little prat.

This.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Asking Tony Blair for advice is like booking a routine check up with Harld Shipman. The man is an incompetent and never to be trusted. By far and away worse as a PM than even Brown or Callaghan. Gives one shivers down one's spine, a feeling he has never had.

TNBA

TTF

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Asking Tony Blair for advice is like booking a routine check up with Harld Shipman. The man is an incompetent and never to be trusted. By far and away worse as a PM than even Brown or Callaghan. Gives one shivers down one's spine, a feeling he has never had.

TNBA

TTF
So bloody this. Teflon Tone in amongst it again. Forever hopeful that one day it'll come home to roost.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good thread, enjoyed reading it, and many of views expressed are exactly how I feel about a certain type of politician.

Have to say, I don't totally agree that Blair had no ideology at all, much as I don't care for him. I don't think Labour would ever have entered the kind of coalition with the kind of compromises (sell-out might be a better word) we see currently. Even if Blair himself would have done it, he would not have been allowed to and remained leader by others in the party.

Blair had a social democratic vision, for better or worse, and some sense of social fairness. IMHO the mildly more sinister aspect is that he was driven by very strong religious beliefs that he felt he couldn't admit to admit until after leaving office. He also had some very strange friends in Bush and Berlusconi, if you think people can be judged by their pals.

Nick Clegg represents everything I can't stand in politicians. Say one thing, do another. Forego any principles he may have had (not many to start with) to get in government. Get sucked up in the power and privilege, forget what he was about 3/4 years ago. Cling on to it at any cost. In the wrong party.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Former leader of the country advising his chums on how to beat the system.
Sounds about right to me.
If he really thought that this wouldn't get out then he is more of a fool than I thought he was and I think he is very very foolish.
Never knows when yo keep it shut, glad he didn't, one day he will get what's coming I hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here