Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackwell out for most of season

Blue and White

Jul 5, 2003
From lunchtime Argus:

Injury misery for Blackwell

by Mike Donovan

Injury shock: Blackwell

Albion have been rocked by a serious injury to Dean Blackwell.

The central defender has been ruled out for most of the season with a ruptured cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Manager Steve Çoppell said today: "It is a very serious injury and he will be out for two-thirds of the season. It is bad news for Dean and for us.

"He overstretched himself when he came back for pre-season training. There was no contact, it was just one of those awkward things.

"Dean will undergo reconstruction on the knee to get him right. It's part of football and I'm sure he will take it and come back.

"We've agreed a new contract with him and will honour that."

Coppell has confirmed goalkeeper Dave Beasant has priced himself out of a new deal with Albion.

He said: "Dave won't be signing for financial reasons. He wasn't asking a great deal but but we have only got so much of the pie to spare.

"It's disappointing because he did a great job for us last season. He has got a lot of offers and will do a good job for anyone."

Darryl Flahavan, the former Southend goalkeeper who has been training with the Seagulls, was expected to play in last night's 5-1 friendly win against Arundel.

But Coppell said: "Michel hadn't played for so long I thought I'd give him decent time on the pitch and it wasn't worth Darryl playing for ten or 15 minutes.

"I've got something in mind but don't want to say any more at this stage."

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
f*** and double f***. Even triple f***. We're now one defender down, we've still got no back-up keeper and once again we'll be paying high wages for somebody who's going to be injured for most of the season.
:(

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Shame but he's not signed a contract as he wasn't happy with it. Ooops !

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
f*** it, I thought he hadn't signed up. theres a chunk of our budget gone on someone who isn't even going to be playing. Looks like we're gonna have to rely on Mr Butters to partner DC.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
why do we have to honour the agreement? What if he had been fit and another club had offered more im sure he wouldnt of stuck around. Why didnt he sign the contract he was offered originally?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
So now we need...

1 Keeper
1 Right Back
1 Centre Back
1 Right Winger
1 Left Winger
2 Strikers
Come on DK, let the moths out ya wallet :lolol:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm all for honouring his contract. If we had a verbal agreement, then thats good enough. We can't keep complaining that football has lost its dignity and then refuse to honour something like that.

And he'll be back for the promotion run-in.

Good luck Deano.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Big bad news on 2 fronts with that, would've liked to of seen Beasant stay as backup incase Kuipers falls flat, and Blackwell....well thats the real bummer and why the f*** we are still signing him on is beyond me, thats a waste of a decent wage that SC could offer to someone else. Think its time for SC to bring in some decent signings now :mad:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
think virgo will do ok this season, with danny along side him to guide him he should do a good job.

cant see why we gave blackwell a contract, he dithered over signing ,in my view its a case of hard cheese! what a waste of our limited paying budget, that one more player could be the difference between us going up or staying in the 2nd div.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
On th e flip side, blackwell may sign a deal now for next to nothing knowing that its that or the dole queue.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Not at all he could get a hefty insurance payout then play for an ambituous non league outfit wen he regains full fitness as well as having a full time job if he wanted. As prove wen Scott Ramsey rejected a move to Brentford

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here