Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn could face a transfer embargo

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It's interesting how we continue to moan about FFP, but why is it such a problem. Bloom and Barker are trying to make the Albion self-sufficient. If I was Tony, knowing that I'd spunked over £100 million of my own cash into the club, to get us on a stage to be competitive in the English Football League, I would most certainly be ensuring that the club operates at a loss-free capacity. Anyone who thinks that we should be spending, spending, spending, is a fool. I certainly don;t want the club wound up over losses that we can't afford to pay back.

If clubs like QPR, Forest, Middlesborough want to risk their clubs future by spending more than they have, then thats up to them, but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with it as a fan. Look at Coventry, Portsmouth, Plymouth as examples of what not to do in the current climate of football. Please remember where we were only a few years ago, without a ground, before you start spouting, spend, spend, spend bullshit.

It's interesting how we continue to moan about FFP, but why is it such a problem. Bloom and Barker are trying to make the Albion self-sufficient. If I was Tony, knowing that I'd spunked over £100 million of my own cash into the club, to get us on a stage to be competitive in the English Football League, I would most certainly be ensuring that the club operates at a loss-free capacity. Anyone who thinks that we should be spending, spending, spending, is a fool. I certainly don;t want the club wound up over losses that we can't afford to pay back.

If clubs like QPR, Forest, Middlesborough want to risk their clubs future by spending more than they have, then thats up to them, but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with it as a fan. Look at Coventry, Portsmouth, Plymouth as examples of what not to do in the current climate of football. Please remember where we were only a few years ago, without a ground, before you start spouting, spend, spend, spend bullshit.

This, with common sense bells on!! Post of the season for me.

D

Deleted member 22389

Exactly, at least it looks like we are doing things properly. 27 million loss, that's just bloody ridicolous. Not the way to run a football club. I'm hoping we become an example for everyone else as regards FFP. Hopefully FFP will eventually benefit the clubs who have been sensible.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why is it hard to work out how much you can afford to spend on wages if you get relegated and putting clauses in players contracts that reduce their wages accordingly? It is their own fault for not doing that.

I would LOVE to see you try and sign premier league players and tell them that you want to put that clause in their contract.

QPR could not get people such as Granero, Julio Cesar, Loic Remy, Samba, Park, Zamora, Barton to agree a release clause. Hence the majority of those players now being let go for free or loaned out just to get them off the wage bill.

Not a chance. Only if you want players who aren't really prem quality, thus lowering your teams overall quality, thus making you susceptable to relegation.

Show me a team other than Arsenal who stay within their budget and I will probably show you a team relegated from the premier league.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

This, this and this again.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I would LOVE to see you try and sign premier league players and tell them that you want to put that clause in their contract.

Particularly when the player (and their agent) knows full well that the club will be receiving parachute payments for 3 years.

Like I alluded to: The future parachute payments are effectively spent in the first season when clubs sign a load of new players to try and make themselves competitive.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Another huge THIS. FFP is actually coming in at a very good time or us. Not only ate we planing to live within our means for the first time in years, but we'll also be rewarded for it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If every team in the Premiership did this how could the players refuse?

It would require the support of those teams that are almost immune from relegation. I'm not sure how bothered they would be to support it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If every team in the Premiership did this how could the players refuse?

Because a team with literally no chance of going down would never even dare put in a relegation clause.

Why would, for example, Everton put in a relegation clause if both them and Sunderland were going for a player? They would both arguably be in the market for the same standard of player at some point, but Everton certainly won't go down so wouldn't eveb entertain the idea of pissing off the player and agent with such a negative clause.

Sunderland, on the other hand, should think about such an option.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well exactly. Maybe it should be made a rule. Would make sense, to me anyway, if the people in charge of football want to make it sustainable.

It would have to be a rule; however I think it would not be enforceable under UK employment law.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't know enough law, but why not? Surely it is like performance related pay?

I don't either, but anything that dictates that a business would have to reduce an employees salary by half is likely to be on shaky ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here