Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn 8,000 for an FA cup quarter final

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
For a club that have been League champions three times and won the FA Cup six times, a cup quarter-final is not that big a deal, really.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Maybe it should also be pointed out that there has only been 5 days notice of the game so not much time to sell tickets either.

The semi-final will be more interesting with Wigan as they will get a 35,000 allocation but dont have a huge fanbase, not too dissimilar for Millwall too, actually.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For a club that have been League champions three times and won the FA Cup six times, a cup quarter-final is not that big a deal, really.

I'm sorry GR, but I am NOT having that! (if you're being serious that is). That turn-out is very poor, no matter how you try and dress it up. And when were those six FA Cup wins anyway? During the Norman Conquest when most clubs had to put out scratch teams because their regulars players were away shooting arrows at the French?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's an absolutely atrocious attendance, whatever way you look at it.

Sadly I think it's more a reflection of the fact that no-one cares about the FA Cup than about Blackburn Rovers - although anyone who thinks they are in any way a 'big' club is obviously completely deluded.

Blackburn v Millwall in an FA Cup Quarter-Final in the 70s would have seen a 25-30,000 crowd.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm sorry GR, but I am NOT having that! (if you're being serious that is). That turn-out is very poor, no matter how you try and dress it up. And when were those six FA Cup wins anyway? During the Norman Conquest when most clubs had to put out scratch teams because their regulars players were away shooting arrows at the French?

No, I wasn't serious!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We shouldn't gloat being in the fortunate position we find ourselves in. Cast your mind back to the mid nineties when Bill Archer was the owner.He was despised much like the Venky's are now. We were getting extremely poor crowds at the Goldstone due to people boycotting the club. Much like Blackburn fans are doing now. If/when the Venkys sell up and Blackburn regain some form the fans will return.

I'm not gloating. Even in the worst days of Archer and co. a 1/4 final in the FA would attract a large crowd. Blackburn have nothing to play for this season apart from this, and a trip to Wembley. When did Blackburn last make it there? The FA Cup has been in decline but at this stage in the competition this is almost unprecedented in the modern era..

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its a pretty sad and desperate state of affairs if fans can't turn out for a winnable quarter-final replay. They would have avoided all the big guns in the semi's and to be honest, given themselves a fighting chance v Wigan ( who blow hot and cold )
Millwall have smelt the opportunity and gone for it. Good luck to them.
As previously stated, Blackburn had their moment of glory in the mid 90's but it didn't last. Now they are bumbling along as a mid-table Championship side, paying high wages and playing in front of dwindling crowds. The fans don't like the owners and the jury is still out over their new manager, who seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment, without achieving a great deal.
I would have thought that a chance of at least one trip to Wembley would have the fans flocking to the ground but alas, no.
( 30,000 turned up at beleagured Cov when they had a sniff of Wembley earlier in the season )
Don't know the ticket prices for last night but a sizeable reduction in price would surely have boosted figures. Wouldn't it?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
ANOTHER attendance thread.

Christ_on_a_bike____by_speckledbat.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
know what? I dont CARE. Besides they got knocked out anyway.

I can confidently say that had that game been us vs Millwall at Withdean we would have got no more than 8.5k - we are truly shocking fans:rolleyes:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's a shame that a showcase game, the QUARTER FINAL of the FA Cup, cannot attract a decent crowd. It's sad for football imo, regardless of the politics at Rovers these days. Surely there has to be more to the game than just surviving in the league.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Blackburn is a fairly deprived area, I'm not surprised their crowds have dropped off so dramatically tbh, a team that can attract reasonable crowds when they are doing well but tend to drop off when they revert to being fairly average.

I don't think this is true. Blackburn is less prosperous than Brighton and the south coast but not by that much. Both areas are below the national average. Both substantially lower than Reading which really is a prosperous area.

I remember an important away match in Division Three against Millwall in the sevneties, and I doubt if Albion took more than 8,000 in a 22,000 crowd. Hard to say as we lost 3-0.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair play to them. Voting with their feet against scumbag owners. They should be commended. All you cussing them off hang your heads in shame and go join the clueless queue.

Quite.

Lets wait and see before people write them off as not being as bad as Bellotti and Archer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here