Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Managers

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
With Terry Connor managing Wolves there are now three black managers in the football league ( apparently chris hugging counts ???). There are a huge number of black players, so why not managers?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree, however I do feel all appointments should be made on ability and not because of creed or colour.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Maybe because they dont want to become managers. Could also say that there are a massive amount of scottish managers proportionally. I dont think you should try to read too much into it all.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't think its neccesarily a British thing.

Quite a few of the African national teams have hired white Europeans to coach them over the years.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wasn't there a huge row on a 5 live a few years ago between the chairman of Bradford and David Mellor when he sacked Chris Kamara as manager ?

It does seem to be disproportionate, think in the NFL you have to interview a coloured manager whether you like it or not.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I think essentialy football is a conservative business. Owners tend to go with what they know, hence the endless recycling of the same old managers. Recently we've seen a trend towards foreign managers in the lower leagues and i guess this is down to the success of the likes of Roberto Martinez at Swansea and then Wigan.
I think with the way Chris Powell at Charlton and Chris Hughton at Birmingham are successfully going about their jobs a few attitudes may be changed with regards to black managers

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
before we start asking why and talking of automatic interviews etc, the question that would have to be asked is, are black players taking their badges and getting in to coaching? i dont know, but if they arent going on to get trained and qualified in that area, they arent going to get management jobs.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
before we start asking why and talking of automatic interviews etc, the question that would have to be asked is, are black players taking their badges and getting in to coaching? i dont know, but if they arent going on to get trained and qualified in that area, they arent going to get management jobs.

I don't have the figures either, and I'm far too lazy to find out. Thinking hypothetically though, if the oft-quoted figure of a quarter of professional footballers being black is true, I find it a bit hard to believe that the proportion of those taking their coaching qualifications would be so tiny that only having three managers out of 92 could be reasonable. That'd have to mean barely of them (a number so small that statistically it may as well be zero) are interested in management, and I'm not sure I can believe that. Unless someone less lazy than me wants can produce figures, of course!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...I find it a bit hard to believe that the proportion of those taking their coaching qualifications would be so tiny that only having three managers out of 92 could be reasonable.

one interesting observation to make is 3 managers in 92 club would be about right on general population. there should also be 4 south asians and half a chinaman. so much for stats. i'm not that surprised as the talent and attributes for football playing are not the same as those for management. a good example, Paul Ince was a gifted player, but clearly not so gifted manager. It should also be noted that many of the best managers had average or even poor playing histories.

i'm also too lazy, im sure the FA have ethnic monitoring and bury the number somwhere, only to be highlighted when it suits. instead i'll be watching the front rows of the dug outs a bit more to get a feel for the situation.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here