Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Black Lives Matters on shirts

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The Bail Project you refer to is in the USA. What connection is there with the UK? As far as I know, bail is usually and often offererd to defendants in British courts unless they are up for serious or repeated matters.

Oh, and I've just re-read Rosenior's open letter. Whatever points he was trying to make are lost in a weak attempt at sarcasm which makes the 'letter' more like one from a sixth former than an established journalist.

Why does it need a connection to the UK, I have said nothing to indicate it was. Its just a very effective way to enable much needed change. Liam Rosenior is a very good writer and represented our club very well over the years.

https://bailproject.org

Well worth watching

https://www.ted.com/talks/robin_steinberg_what_if_we_ended_the_injustice_of_bail?language=en

Last edited:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Anyone who genuinely thinks that the UK and worldwide #BlackLivesMatter protests, are ABOUT (rather than sparked by) the murder of George Floyd, is succinctly demonstrating why the protests are necessary.

Well, I didn’t say that.

So, you’ve made that up in your head.

Well done :rolleyes:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
a484c698f993e42b0b7e2562f9e23650.jpg

Everyone who disagrees with me is a racist.

:cry:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry I missed your question yesterday and haven't seen it , happy to be reminded .

I guess I don't understand the BLM agenda . Perhaps you do and with your no doubt superior intellect and can explain to me why the death of one black man causes international outrage but others don't .
.Why for example does the death of David Dorn not matter to anyone but his family and friends ?

I apologise. I thought you were racist. Instead it seems you just don't understand anything and keep posting video clips in the hope someone will explain things to you. Never mind. If you suffer from aphasia this is a recognised disability, and I'd not wish to mock you for that. I like your music posts.

Subliminally, I must admit I do a doubletake when I see spaces before full stops in NSC posts. Another poster, now banned, who also liked to post videos of dimbot black people (there are plenty, of course) plus pictures of 'antifa' about to be assaulted by beefy white blokes, had the same 'fist' (as it used to be known back in the typewriter days). Apologies again for conflating you with other folk who are genuinely outraged by black people owing to racism. I haven't seen you type anything overtly racist, Indeed you normally type nothing at all.

If you actually care why 'BLM' matters (I mean the slogan rather than the small number of activists with their web page; I mean the sentiments expressed by the likes of Dotun Adebayo and Ian Wright and Liam Rosenior, not the rantings of ignorant nobodies) there is a wealth of information on the internet, including this very board. You seem capable of researching information judging by your video link posts. Why not widen your reading a bit?

I am assuming you are genuine and not just trying to evoke a response so you can take the piss in the manner of the racist troll Das Reich. I haven't seen you do that previously. The snide comment about my 'superior intellect' does make me wonder, however. I don't admire folk with an 'intellectual' chip on their shoulder. There is no reason to not post your thoughts, ask questions, and engage with others on here. Posting spliky videos without commentary or explanation, however, invites a reaction, and I've given you one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Everyone who disagrees with me is a racist.

:cry:

So you think it is white versus black.

That makes you the racist. Who knew? ???

:shrug:

(ps - You don't post often enough or coherently enough for me to put you on ignore. Must do better).

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I've just got back from the BLM event in Brighton. All very peaceful and good-humoured. In fact, the part of the seafront reminded me of the Albion promotion parade but with everyone wearing this season's away kit.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think it’s unnecessary . We are already having problems with marchers and counter protests . All the marches should be stopped . There are far better ways to work on reducing racism than marches that just encourage trouble makers on both sides .

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
What makes you certain the "broken window" policing made that difference?

I don't know if you are old enough to remember New York before "broken window" policing, but it was a scary place with many "no go" areas. Zero tolerance vastly increased police numbers, and especially visible police in the streets and in neighbourhoods. That was meant to be reassuring. Along with that went the idea that allowing low level crime, vandalism and anti-social behaviour led to bigger crimes; so people were arrested and charged for all misdemeanous, no matter how small.

As to why I think that made the difference, well it was demonstrable. We had "Condition A", then a hypothesis was formulated and applied, and that was proven by creating "Condition B". I have seen attempts to say it was down to other factors (e.g. change of demographics) by people who obviously don't like the implications of the theory; but there you are - it seems quite clear to me. The City became incredibly safe after the implementation and it was widely supported. It felt like you could walk round any corner and two police officers would be there - very reassuring. They were also largely friendly to law-abiding people and tried to be a part of, and support to, the community. The fact that the acceptance of this is waning is puzzling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't know if you are old enough to remember New York before "broken window" policing, but it was a scary place with many "no go" areas. Zero tolerance vastly increased police numbers, and especially visible police in the streets and in neighbourhoods. That was meant to be reassuring. Along with that went the idea that allowing low level crime, vandalism and anti-social behaviour led to bigger crimes; so people were arrested and charged for all misdemeanous, no matter how small.

As to why I think that made the difference, well it was demonstrable. We had "Condition A", then a hypothesis was formulated and applied, and that was proven by creating "Condition B". I have seen attempts to say it was down to other factors (e.g. change of demographics) by people who obviously don't like the implications of the theory; but there you are - it seems quite clear to me. The City became incredibly safe after the implementation and it was widely supported. It felt like you could walk round any corner and two police officers would be there - very reassuring. They were also largely friendly to law-abiding people and tried to be a part of, and support to, the community. The fact that the acceptance of this is waning is puzzling.

There is of course the unavoidable problem of the lack of a time-matched control, but to quibble over that in this case would be fatuous.This is one of those 'I was in ficking agony, then the doc gave me a shot of morphine and the pain went' moments.

Unfortunately the leg remained broken but that's a different problem. Or ist it? ???

All the best, Dr Thoughtful and Measured :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not waded through this gargantuan thread, but it strikes me as a fairly pointless empty gesture IMO. How exactly does this differ from the "Racism - Kick It Out" campaign thats been running in football for YEARS now ? And what has that ever achieved ? A racist is a racist, they're not going to be swayed by a green banner being carted about, along with numerous reminders on advertising hoardings.

Not sure why football always has to be used as a lightning rod all the time, but then I've gotten increasingly grumpy at the number of games that start with a minutes silence for someone I've barely heard of, or to consider my "mental health" blah blah. I'm only looking to watch a game of bloody football, I don't need to be brow-beaten by whatever is in the frigging news that week, thanks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I'm not old enough but I have always been very interested in the history of the city.

Poor people have always committed most crimes, even in countries and areas where the police is very harsh. Sure, the broken window policy made more poor people go to jail and that is part of New York's "solution", but not a very humane one if you ask me as I believe jails should be reserved for people committing serious crimes rather than... well, breaking a window.

I think that the prosperity of the second half of the 90s and the globalisation that empowered the financial market, where New York always was an important city, played a much bigger role. The type of people who had previously been working in i.e. Domino's Sugar Refinery was replaced by the type of people working in i.e. Chase Bank. With the city and its population turning rich, massive gentrification took place and the poor people - who did most of the crime - were forced out of the city. They didnt stop being criminal because of some "broken window" policy - they just moved elsewhere.

If it wasnt for the late 90s being filled with optimism and prosperity in general, which is always reducing crime, I think there would have been a great surge (instead of the small one that happened) in crimes in cities where a lot of poor New Yorkers moved. As I see it, the change in New York was very likely due to either locking up or forcing poor people to places where they could not be seen, not a result of some "attitude change" caused by harsher policing, because harsher policing neither reduce poverty or anger/frustration which are the main cause of most types of crimes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning

Malcolm x

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I guess I don't understand the BLM agenda .

I certainly dont understand the UK Black Lives Matter agenda
very clear on objectives for everyone to see on their crowdfunding page

Committed to dismantle capitalism and will spend money raised on delivering strategies for the abolition of police.
https://uk.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund
yet they have still raised nearly £900,000.

Wtf is going on?

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Why does it need a connection to the UK, I have said nothing to indicate it was. Its just a very effective way to enable much needed change. Liam Rosenior is a very good writer and represented our club very well over the years.
.....]

It’s your money and obviously you can and will spend it how you wish. Nevertheless, if you choose to announce your choices publicly then it is not unreasonable for others to be surprised at and comment upon your actions.

Liam Rosenior is a decent journalist. I commented upon his ‘open letter’ to President Trump, which, I thought lacked much of the quality he has shown in the past. I or anyone else is certainly entitled to make a comment upon a published article.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here