Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Black Friday PRESSURE

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have taken full advantage and just saved £3 on my cats arthritis tablets from amazon (via nsc link) but no pressure. I think its a bit of a hyped up marketing exercise but I'm sure there are deals to be had if your looking for something in particular

That is brilliant. Best Black Friday deal ever!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade."

- Marcel Proust

Did Proust write that a season after his team had finally been promoted from the Championship to the Premier League?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Black Friday is just a gimmick in a consumerist society besides the January sales will start shortly in mid-December

Indeed.

Originated from all US retail companies having the same year end. So they had to flog loads of stuff cheaply on the last Friday of the financial year to ensure they were in the black.

In a world of globalised economics, it's pure nonsense. Certainly has never had anything to do with the UK!

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I use my old Huawei android tablet a lot, it no longer receives updates for the OS and I dropped it a few months back which cracked the screen. I've been looking to replace it with the Samsung galaxy tab s7 plus wifi but its's so expensive especially when you add the keyboard case for it.

I'm not seeing may/any offers of note, I do wonder if companies/retailers are playing chicken with the purchasing public. With lockdowns, redundancies, growing unemployment, the coming cut-backs etc. I would have hoped that companies/retailers would have wanted so monies back in their bank accounts to ease cash-flow. Its going to interesting to see who blinks first.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This isn't going as planned.

Whilst I didn't expect anyone to agree with me (and I'll also highlight I've bought nothing today), I was hoping someone clued up on TVs would have pointed me in the direction of something good by now.
Sorry Bozza my one word reply was a bit rude.

To expand, Black Friday isn’t something I really bother with. I’m not a big tech fan, I don’t need gadgets for my job, I don’t care about the latest phones, I’m not a gamer and I don’t watch much telly. If my cooker or phone is broken I’ll fix it or replace it.

Good luck with the telly hunt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
If you're savvy there are good deals out there, it's not all a con.

Maybe - but you need to be extremely lucky to have anything that you really want fall into that category. There are 3 items that I've been keeping an eye out for in recent months but not purchased (headphones/coffee machine/jacket) not one of the Black Friday deals now on is the lowest price I've seen in the last 3 months on any of the 3

Not really. I have just bought a replacement office chair to replace my current one which is past its best and with a broken wheel so perhaps BF triggered me to do it today instead of pontificating on it further.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I use my old Huawei android tablet a lot, it no longer receives updates for the OS and I dropped it a few months back which cracked the screen. I've been looking to replace it with the Samsung galaxy tab s7 plus wifi but its's so expensive especially when you add the keyboard case for it.

I'm not seeing may/any offers of note, I do wonder if companies/retailers are playing chicken with the purchasing public. With lockdowns, redundancies, growing unemployment, the coming cut-backs etc. I would have hoped that companies/retailers would have wanted so monies back in their bank accounts to ease cash-flow. Its going to interesting to see who blinks first.

They are ridiculously expensive. Get an S6 lite for half the price? It'll still piss all over your old tablet.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/samsung-galaxy-tab-s6-lite-review

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes and re the TV.

Get a Panasonic or a Sony.

Apologies for being unhelpful.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
We're in the middle of kitting out our new house at the minute, and we do 'need' quite a lot of stuff (electrical stuff like TVs, soundbars, coffee machines etc.) however I've consciously taken the decision not to get panicky about missing out on great deals and will take a casual look over a beer tonight when I'm done working.

If there are some good deals to be had at that point, great, if not I will rest easy in the knowledge that I haven't panic bought a candy floss machine I don't need and will never use, for no other reason than it had 40% off.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We're in the middle of kitting out our new house at the minute, and we do 'need' quite a lot of stuff (electrical stuff like TVs, soundbars, coffee machines etc.) however I've consciously taken the decision not to get panicky about missing out on great deals and will take a casual look over a beer tonight when I'm done working.

If there are some good deals to be had at that point, great, if not I will rest easy in the knowledge that I haven't panic bought a candy floss machine I don't need and will never use, for no other reason than it had 40% off.

You know you really want that foot spa!

Incidentally, I've just had an ad pop up on here for "BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!!!!" on Shark vacuum cleaners. So I had a look.

More expensive than I paid for the same one off Amazon a couple of months ago.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You know you really want that foot spa!

Incidentally, I've just had an ad pop up on here for "BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!!!!" on Shark vacuum cleaners. So I had a look.

More expensive than I paid for the same one off Amazon a couple of months ago.

I've just had an email from TeamSport Go-Karting for a Black Friday race voucher, even in their BF deal still more than a discount I got earlier this year.

boik

This isn't going as planned.

Whilst I didn't expect anyone to agree with me (and I'll also highlight I've bought nothing today), I was hoping someone clued up on TVs would have pointed me in the direction of something good by now.

Has your TV stopped working then Bozza?

Programmes don't get any better with more pixels ya know! ;-)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Housecoats on sale in the club shop, just picked one up for me and one for Mrs Crodo.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep - been waiting for Xbox one deals like last year and there seems to be none as stock low even on this old console...

Every gaming chair I’ve found has now sold out....

Nightmare

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here