Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black footballers - help needed

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I am helping with a research paper on the history, integration and impact of black footballers in British professional football.
There is plenty of statistical information, but looking for my primary source stuff... such as first hand accounts and memories.
The first black footballer I can remember as a kid was Albert Johanneson, who played for Don Revie's Leeds in the 1960s. Then a little later Cyril Regis at West Brom.
Any info or memories - certainly from the 50s, 60s and early 70s would be gratefully appreciated... cheers!

Post the finished paper, would be great reading.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Dennis Foreman played for the Albion in the 50s -I think he was mixed race, with SA parentage, but worth checking out. A pivotal moment for black footballers came in the 80s, I think, with the three black players for West Brom. I can recall them being interviewed on MOTD where the race issue was raised. They came over really well.

Dennis Foreman, lovely man, still living in MileOak/Portslade last I heard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...South-African-to-play-cricket-in-England.html

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Cambridge had a centre forward called Floyd Street, I remember him scoring when the beat us 2 -1 at home in 1978.
Millwall used to have Trevor Lee, another striker
Their fans used to sing a song about him being a chimpanzee......nothing much has changed in that part of the world, wankers

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Paul Reaney? Never viewed as black when playing, would be now though

And never acknowledged to my understanding.

Likewise Mike Trebilcock of Everton.

I just looked him up in Wiki and he is apparently the second 'black' player to have scored in a cup final.

At Brighton we had Denis Forman who lived in Portslade and who had two sons, Kevin and Michael, who were amazing and used to embarrass the rest of us in Easthill park in the late 60s. This article here says he was subjected to constant racist abuse: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...South-African-to-play-cricket-in-England.html

The odd think was, as a kid I never realised Denis was 'black', and certainly not Kevin or Michael. These lables are very peculiar.

I have seen Michael at Brighton games, but he wouldn't remember me. Probably someone sitting on their arse as he dribbled past, 40 odd years ago, wouldn't have stuck in the mind :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We had Mike Small who did well for us before going for money to West Ham. Justin Fashanu came with dodgy knees, had previously had better days but an unhappy end. Terry Connor needed ten yards to trap a ball.
We didn't employ Garth Crooks who had a good career with Spurs but I have to say he comes across as a really self opinionated dick.

A friend of mine was in the same church organization as Garth as a kid. Back then he was very voluble (polite for 'wind bag'). I have always liked him. Gordon Strachan said Crooks was interviewing him one time on the pitch and Strachan needed to nip back for a pee. When he returned Crooks still hadn't finished his question :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The odd think was, as a kid I never realised Denis was 'black', and certainly not Kevin or Michael. These lables are very peculiar.

It's strange how the mind works. The last time I heard proper nasty racist abuse from a Brighton fan to an opposition player was when we played Macclesfield in either the second or third game at Priestfield. They had a big lumbering defender who wore one of those LA-gangster style scarves on his head and when someone shouted abuse about his skin colour all I could think at the time was that it was an opportunity wasted to rip the piss out of his headgear.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's strange how the mind works. The last time I heard proper nasty racist abuse from a Brighton fan to an opposition player was when we played Macclesfield in either the second or third game at Priestfield. They had a big lumbering defender who wore one of those LA-gangster style scarves on his head and when someone shouted abuse about his skin colour all I could think at the time was that it was an opportunity wasted to rip the piss out of his headgear.

Efetobore Sodje, pictured in that very game (from the Leyton Orient programme, two weeks later). From the matchday programme:-

....Effy is easily recognised by the Bandanna that he wears. He does this at the request of his mother who believes that it will bring him luck.

EfetoboreSodje.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Efetobore Sodje, pictured in that very game (from the Leyton Orient programme, two weeks later). From the matchday programme:-

Great pic! Thanks, that's brought back some memories. I just googled him and he's back at Macclesfield as assistant manager and he's still registered as a player. I can't think there's too many players still active that played against us at Priestfield.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great pic! Thanks, that's brought back some memories. I just googled him and he's back at Macclesfield as assistant manager and he's still registered as a player. I can't think there's too many players still active that played against us at Priestfield.

Sadly Scott McGeish is one of them (albeit at Wealdstone). I won't need to remind you he also 'starred' against us at The Goldstone.

Pretty sure it was Viv Busby - unless we had a black player going way back.

The first one I really remember was Ces Podd for Bradford City: he played for them for years and became a bit of a cult up there. He was about the same time as Clyde Best - for a time they were the only two regular black players in English football

Busby our first shirley:moo:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here