Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Black Country Living Museum

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bit of a long shot, but I know what a geographically diverse membership we have on these boards.

The simple question, is it any good, what’s it like?

Over the years I have visited Beamish several times (ex wife was a Geordie) and pre Covid visited Blists Hill Victorian Town and enjoyed both. I love the looking back at how we used to live, in the days before the modern luxuries we so take for granted.

We are going to Shropshire at the end of May and wondered if this was worth giving a go.

Any opinions?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit of a long shot, but I know what a geographically diverse membership we have on these boards.

Over the years I have visited Beamish several times (ex wife was a Geordie) and pre Covid visited Blists Hill Victorian Town and enjoyed both. I love the looking back at how we used to live, in the days before the modern luxuries we so take for granted.

We are going to Shropshire at the end of May and wondered if this was worth giving a go.

Any opinions?

It's excellent. Lots to see, and the volunteers who are positioned in some of the shops and houses to explain things and tell local stories are great. The chip shop servies the best chips I've tasted in many a year.
The one downer is that the trams and trolley buses aren't working (or at least, they weren't a couple of years before lockdown, when I last went) ............. and the vintage bus that offers rides up and down the site is actually a ford Transit underneath!
All in all a good day out - highly recommend it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've not been to the museum, so can't give an opinion.

But, if you do head out that way, about three or four miles from the museum is The Crooked House pub, the weirdest boozer I've ever been in. It's like drinking in a giant optical illusion

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I haven’t been for over 10 years but enjoyed when I did so - it is very popular with schools! Gwylan mentioned The Crooked House pub - been there several times - mainly 10 - 20 years ago - and he’s right - it is disorienting! The whole place is sloping. Worth a look for sure

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I used to live near there (before I moved further North).

It is good, I would recommend, although I haven't been in 5/6 years. Blists Hill (which you have also mentioned) is my preference, but Black Country Living Museum is a good day out. Make you you get some orange battered chips for an authentic artery-clogging black country experience (not from within the Museum itself).

I was there last June and enjoyed it as much , if not more , than the Beamish although not all attractions were running at either. I would say they are broadly comparable so ,if you like one, you will like the other.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated, looks like a definite visit then!

Clearly as there is a lot of knowledge of the area in general, any other recommendations?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Any opinions?

I went to it when I first moved to Birmingham - Loved it but I am one of these people who loved old nostalgic things and I love looking at old black and white photos of any part of the country especially large cities. So if you like ''nostalgia'' I think you would really like it

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I enjoyed it when I went.

Also recommended is a barge trip through the Dudley tunnels which you can join by the canal side at the museum, if you are a fan of Peaky Blinders, a lot of it was filmed at the Black Country Museum, but I think Tommy and Arthur have moved on now….

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here