Bizarre cricket dismissal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Never seen that before.

It's not a dismissal though, the umpire calls a dead ball (not sure why) so the batsman's not out

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I never knew that Dave Myers from The Hairy Bikers was that nippy off a short run ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
wrong decision surely? Should have been given out unless they have changed the rules since I played (or unless no-one had the sense to appeal)? Bit of an insult to the bowler to use his injury as the reason not to give the dismissal

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
"Is he not out?"

"No, the bowler is"

:lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
definitely OUT. Wouldn't even justify a strip by Paul Trevellion and John Holder. Bad call umps.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
yep, wrong call.

if the ball hits a fielders helmet (whilst its being worn) its dead ball. other than that it should have been given out. hell of a rebound for that to be caught by the keeper...

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
after the umpire confers with his square leg umpire, the batsman is given out and you can see him here walking off .. caught behind !

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd like to have been present at his doctor appointment.

Bowler - "I've suffered a large blow to the head and have been struggling with acute swelling"

Doctor applies some cream

Doctor - "How's that?"

Bowler - "Don't you start!"

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Law 23 [Dead Ball] b) ii) states that either umpire may call and signal dead ball when a serious injury to a player or umpire occures.

I took one on the head at mid-on last year and ump call "dead ball" straight away.
HOWEVER:
Law 32 [Caught] 5) states that if a striker is dismissed Caught, runs from that delivery completed by the batsman before the completion of the catch shall not be scored ...
This implies that if the catch is made, the batsman was effectively out from the moment he hit the ball, so any subsequent call of dead ball would have been unnecessary as the ball becomes dead at the fall of a wicket anyway [and the wicket fell at the moment the ball struck the bat - not the bowler's head]
= OUT !

Incidently, the ball does not become dead when it strikes a helmet being worn, just that a catch can't be awarded, nor a run out if the defelection hits the stumps with a batsman out of his ground, but if a fielder retrieves the ball then a run out could be made. If the helmet is not being worn and is hit bythe ball while in play it's dead ball + 5 runs.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I took a ball in the face at slips mamy moons ago. From vague recollection, the ball was not called dead and my coach chastised me for not catching it! An absolute rocket of a ball and I had a seam mark on the bridge of my nose for a week or two.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Coloured shirts and white trousers, what kind of cricket attire is that?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'd like to have been present at his doctor appointment.

Bowler - "I've suffered a large blow to the head and have been struggling with acute swelling"

Doctor applies some cream

Doctor - "How's that?"

Bowler - "Don't you start!"

:lol:

Had to watch it twice to see where the ball went, nice take by the keeper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports