Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit of perspective for the moaners

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
You don't know what hyperbole means do you? I used exaggeration and hyperbole when the definition is exactly the same for both words, so they were used in context.

hyperbole
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect; an
extravagant statement.

You obviously know very little. Ignore list from now on so reply all you like. Maybe learn to read properly.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
watsongoal

Yes we were playing Yeovil and I was there - but we can;t live in the f******
past for the rest of all time. We expect better now.

Well we have better now, a better squad in terms of quality, playing at a higher division against better sides that the last season at Withdean. We are not living in the past, nor are we living in make believe land were the Amex = world beaters and anything less is a disaster.

Just because we have already improved our facilities and squad doesn't make us the finished article and title winners, the other teams in the division have a lot to say about that, a lot of which have had far longer to evolve their squads and be in a better place to challenge than us (parachute payments, larger fan bases,, etc)

Give it time and we will keep getting better, but it may take us several seasons to get in that final bit of quality we need at the moment. There is a lot of competition for quality strikers and a real lack of them, so it is hardly a surprise that it has been such a struggle for Gus to bring one in yet, give it time and he will (hopefully) get his man.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pleased to see that the majority of the responses are not of the happy-clappy "Well said, look how far we've come, God these moaners make me sick" variety. Yes, a bit of perspective IS required: ten years ago was ten years ago and now is now. What we were doing, who we were playing and where we were playing ten, twenty, thirty years is totally irrelevant.

Looking at how far we've come is all very well for those contemplative moments (such as during an international break), but people are entitled to come on to a fans' messageboard and let off steam immediately after we've lost. Again. And failed to score. Again. Most of it is just heat-of-the-moment stuff.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Gus may halt the rot but he has pretty much used all his combinations,

No wrong... he hasn't binned Barnes and Dicker and started Dobbie as free role supporting striker with Cms.....

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Just 2 years ago we were playing Yeovil on this fixture at the withdean.

Were you there?

That's not perspective, it's history. We have the highest revenue in this division & can fill a 5 a side team of just central midfielders who couldn't outpace a slug over 10 yards

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really hate it when people are not allowed to get disappointed and frustrated in the results, and look for answers, just because of our history over the last 25 years :nono:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
That's not perspective, it's history. We have the highest revenue in this division & can fill a 5 a side team of just central midfielders who couldn't outpace a slug over 10 yards

The highest revenue counts for diddly squat when we have to recoup the losses incurred over a 10 year period at Withdean and the expense of building a £ 95 M Stadium........

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I don't think we do have the highest revenue when you take into account parachute payments to 8 teams :

Bolton( 16m)
Blackburn( 16m)
Wolves( 16m)
Birmingham( 16m)
Blackpool( 16m)
Burnley( 8m)
Hull City( 8m)
Middlesbrough( 8m)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really hate it when people are not allowed to get disappointed and frustrated in the results, and look for answers, just because of our history over the last 25 years :nono:

Yes indeed, but it gets terribly polarised into all the players are shit and the manager should be sacked, rather than a constructive discussion about what could be done differently with what we have. Disappointment and frustration with results should and probably is felt throughout the club, however this doesn't mean the manager is suddenly crap or our players not good enough. Some of the hysteria on here is just plain embarrassing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We had a bad run last season and he turned things around given time, why not give him time again and wait before jumping to conclusions that we are already doomed? (thats how it seems if you listen to the moaners)

Indeed. We've had just over a season with our new ground and all of a sudden some people think we should be unbeatable. How very Man United !!!!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I don't think we do have the highest revenue when you take into account parachute payments to 8 teams :

Bolton( 16m)
Blackburn( 16m)
Wolves( 16m)
Birmingham( 16m)
Blackpool( 16m)
Burnley( 8m)
Hull City( 8m)
Middlesbrough( 8m)

Er thats not revenue, that's like saying you earn more than me cos your Granny gives you 100k every christmas

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Er thats not revenue, that's like saying you earn more than me cos your Granny gives you 100k every christmas
No, I think he's right, parachute payments count as 'revenue'. Would you make the same arguement about TV payments?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No, I think he's right, parachute payments count as 'revenue'. Would you make the same arguement about TV payments?

Different part of the balance sheet, not earned revenue from that calendar year (which TV income is) just a one off ex gratia lump sum which ends in a year (or two) gained from prior years NOT revenue

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Different part of the balance sheet, not earned revenue from that calendar year (which TV income is) just a one off ex gratia lump sum which ends in a year (or two) gained from prior years NOT revenue

I think you're splitting hairs (and what part of the balance sheet would parachute payments go on?) The parachute payments ARE earned as they are a reward, a bonus if you like, for being in the Prem the previous season. And to go back to your 'Granny' example, you don't know how much Granny is going to give you for Christmas, but you do know that you will receive X amount in parachute revenue and thus can budget accordingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here