Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Bishan Bedi RIP

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
RIP. He was always the spinner in my World XI to play HOWZAT! against Sussex.

(Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge opened the batting and Farokh Engineer kept wicket...)

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Bedi, Chandra and Venkat. The best ever spin attack.
Spinning seemed a different game before Warne and Murali.
When at Uni in Cardiff during 76-77 a group of 7 of us shared a house. The three lads upstairs included a guy called Mushy from India who loved cricket and idolised Bishen in particular. India had a fourth spinner, Prasanna, if they thought the big 3 weren’t enough!
RIP Bishen

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
RIP. He was always the spinner in my World XI to play HOWZAT! against Sussex.

(Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge opened the batting and Farokh Engineer kept wicket...)
I went to see England play Pakistan in Abu Dhabi a few years ago and Farokh was sat behind me. Had a lovely chat with him, he was definitely supporting England that day!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He was just before my time, but I knew well of the name. One of the spinning greats. I felt a kinship knowing I would probably performed as well at Test level as he did with the bat !

RIP

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He was just before my time, but I knew well of the name. One of the spinning greats. I felt a kinship knowing I would probably performed as well at Test level as he did with the bat !

RIP
Yes, very much a tail end Charlie when it came to his prowess with the bat!

I'm obviously, ahem, a few years older than you, as l can remember watching him in his prime back in the 1970's.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Beautiful bowler - he had a model action, so smooth

And his array of colourful patkas meant that he always stood on the field

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Gillette Cup final 1976 http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/A...UTS/LANCS_NORTHANTS_GLTE-FINAL_04SEP1976.html

I was at this game. Bedi bowled 10 overs for 26 runs, and then unaccountably bowled the last over which was smashed for another 26 (which was an enormous thrashing in those days).

1698079111887.png

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Jul 7, 2003
A great spinner and quite a character as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here