[Football] Birmingham Sack Rooney (02/01/2024)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
2-3 and Saint Andrews is an absolute bear pit, absolutely rocking now, Leicester will do well to hold on here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was a fun game. Birmingham were plucky, and I can't tell from that alone whether Rooney is clueless (as I imagine) or not.

Dewsberry-Hall (now a series on Netflix about a Leicester pit owner and their attempts to gentrify themselves, starring Helen Jonbonjovi-Carter, Hugh Bonneville and the later Jack Wild as Pip) should be playing in the EPL which, one assumes, he will be next year.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Birmingham seem determined to self-destruct. They’ve gone from about 7th and a few points outside the playoffs to 14th under Rooney. I’ve looked online but can’t find the exact details - but I’d love to see a side by side of the form comparison since he joined.

Like Watford, their owners don’t have a Scooby. They were doing brilliantly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That was a fun game. Birmingham were plucky, and I can't tell from that alone whether Rooney is clueless (as I imagine) or not.

Dewsberry-Hall (now a series on Netflix about a Leicester pit owner and their attempts to gentrify themselves, starring Helen Jonbonjovi-Carter, Hugh Bonneville and the later Jack Wild as Pip) should be playing in the EPL which, one assumes, he will be next year.
From my experience - Brum won't be short of pluckiness, Rooney is a great motivator, leader of men especially when backs are against the wall, I think he needs a tactician alongside him though. One of my finest, or most emotional, Derby memories of recent times was last year when the club was weeks away from being gone, 10,000+ marched from the city centre to the stadium, another full house, brilliant atmosphere an then we were torn apart by, erm, Birmingham. 2-0 down could have been more, came back to draw last kick of the game. We were crap but heads never dropped, that's Rooney IMO.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Neither he or Liam left Derby for footballin reasons either 🇫

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Birmingham seem determined to self-destruct. They’ve gone from about 7th and a few points outside the playoffs to 14th under Rooney. I’ve looked online but can’t find the exact details - but I’d love to see a side by side of the form comparison since he joined.

Like Watford, their owners don’t have a Scooby. They were doing brilliantly.
To be fair, the owners do have a scooby. They have spent £20m already renovating the stadium that was falling apart, purchased land nearby that might be part of plans for a new stadium, set up a charity to give every kid in care in the city a Xmas present for starters, renovated the training ground, set up forums to properly engage with the fans for the first time in 20 years etc etc

However the managerial change is the one that gets the headlines and splits opinion.

They had lost about 5 in a row on the road under Eustace and although they were 6th on the back of 2 home wins it was a bit of a false position as it was only about 3 points above 14th iirc. Rooney? Not sure, but time will tell. The table is very tight though and even 17th is only about 9 points off the play offs, nothing that a good run of results wouldn’t put right. Rooney won’t have much to spend until the summer due to financial fair play (something else the previous owners ignored) but he does have a good run of winnable fixtures coming up.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
To be fair, the owners do have a scooby. They have spent £20m already renovating the stadium that was falling apart, purchased land nearby that might be part of plans for a new stadium, set up a charity to give every kid in care in the city a Xmas present for starters, renovated the training ground, set up forums to properly engage with the fans for the first time in 20 years etc etc

However the managerial change is the one that gets the headlines and splits opinion.

They had lost about 5 in a row on the road under Eustace and although they were 6th on the back of 2 home wins it was a bit of a false position as it was only about 3 points above 14th iirc. Rooney? Not sure, but time will tell. The table is very tight though and even 17th is only about 9 points off the play offs, nothing that a good run of results wouldn’t put right. Rooney won’t have much to spend until the summer due to financial fair play (something else the previous owners ignored) but he does have a good run of winnable fixtures coming up.
Good post. The club is definitely heading in the right direction. They were in a right mess before.

Whether WR is the right man for the job…time will tell but the Blues fan I know are generally happy enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports