Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Birmingham City retire #22 shirt

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I totally get retiring a shirt for a club or sporting legend (Bobby Moore, Wayne Gretzky) or for posthumous reasons and fully support that.

For a kid that can't legally buy a drink in this country, has played less than 50 times for the club? What a ****ing ridiculous idea.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Desperate and absolute bollocks

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm with you on this. i Think it's a classy tradition.

Would have liked to have seen 2 retired at the end of last season.

Absolutely! And I'm surprised we didn't. A long-serving club captain, a total inspiration, who lead the club to its greatest success in 40ish years, on his retirement from playing.

Not a bloody kid who has hardly had a game and has been moved on. #tinpot

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not as if we're ever going to return to 1-11.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I don't have any objection to the general idea - if we did it for 25, for example, I wouldn't object.

This case seems rather at the barmy end of the spectrum though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can we please NEVER do this

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Completely agree and disagree with the posters that say we should retire number 25 or number 2 for example. What a load of old balls. Love those players but retiring a shirt unless in exceptional, tragic circumstances is totally ridiculous.

Yup. Ok, if you have someone like Paolo Maldini, a one club man born in the city of his club and making 1000 appearances, I could understand it as well, but it really needs to be exceptional stuff like that or it just gets silly.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yup. Ok, if you have someone like Paolo Maldini, a one club man born in the city of his club and making 1000 appearances, I could understand it as well, but it really needs to be exceptional stuff like that or it just gets silly.

If someone paid me £23m for a £50 shirt I would have no problems handing it over.

They are obviously very proud to have helped produce a footballing talent age just 17 who has earned them that kind of money - Good for them I say

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so its not a spoof?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here