Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bin men - Garden Waste

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a valid point. Also who would be liable if the bloke got injured on my property??
If the property wasn't either safe or secure, I'd suggest you could be. Haven't people been done before for failing to provide a safe environment in which their burglars could work?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
We've had no recycling pick up for a month now and have been waiting five months for a wheelie bin to replace the one the bin-men (sorry, bin-people) wrecked.

Meanwhile, the rest of Brighton looks dirty and left to rot. Still, at least we have the world's tallest donut on a stick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We've had no recycling pick up for a month now and have been waiting five months for a wheelie bin to replace the one the bin-men (sorry, bin-people) wrecked..

The bin men missed some of ours a couple of weeks ago so following an e mail to MSDC a 2nd lorry was sent out where upon he emptied the waste bin and the recycling into the back of the lorry and when questioned said " What does it matter it all goes in the same spot at the tip anyway all mixed "

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that in West Sussex you buy bags from various shops at about £1 each and leave them with your general waste but if doing so there is a line on the bag about halfway up and mustnt be filled above that line. and the top of the bag folded over.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The bin men missed some of ours a couple of weeks ago so following an e mail to MSDC a 2nd lorry was sent out where upon he emptied the waste bin and the recycling into the back of the lorry and when questioned said " What does it matter it all goes in the same spot at the tip anyway all mixed "

Not in Horsham district. I've had a tour of the household rubbish plant. And there's a separate plant for the recycling. In the household rubbish they still do a lot of automatic sorting to try to recycle. It is quite an operation. One thing that does cause problems to the automatic sorting is VHS tapes strangely enough.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Don't get me started on missed collections, it's a very sore point with me. Especially when I've seen the bin lorry drive down the road, little eastern european bloke, sorry, recycling technician, walk straight past the wheelie bin and piss off onto the next road. Garden waste has not been collected for a month. Two bins, both full and will be overflowing come wedneday collection day. Phoned 01273 292929 to enquire why this service I pay extra for has not been fulfilled but can't get through. VERY frustrating as this has become a regular occurrence through the year

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not in Horsham district. I've had a tour of the household rubbish plant. And there's a separate plant for the recycling. In the household rubbish they still do a lot of automatic sorting to try to recycle. It is quite an operation. One thing that does cause problems to the automatic sorting is VHS tapes strangely enough.

Only saying what the collector said and not giving an opinion on its accuracy or otherwise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You can see council solicitors looking into that angle, in the event of a bin-man getting injured.
Would the bin man use council solicitors, or the injury lawyers for you kinda crap?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would the bin man use council solicitors, or the injury lawyers for you kinda crap?

I was thinking of council solicitors. Of course there are also ambulance chasers and solicitors working for the operative’s trade union.

Home owners often add legal expenses insurance to their home policy, to cover any spurious claim.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have to admit l'm very glad we come under the auspices of Horsham District Council where waste removal is concerned.

One week the green household waste bin is emptied, and the next it's the turn of the blue recycling, and grown garden waste to be disposed of. Yes ok so we have to pay a modest amount for garden waste disposal, but they turn up regularly every Monday morning. Very efficient indeed.

Here in Malta we have organic waste collected 3 times a week, recycling once a week and ordinary waste 3 times a week. Oh and glass on the first Friday of each month. No council tax either :smile:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
My bin day is Friday and it alternates between waste/garden waste and recycling.

Two weeks ago was waste/garden waste week and I only had maybe a quarter of a bin of grass clippings in my garden waste bin so I couldn't be bothered to walk it round to the front of the house. That morning I was sat in my office which is on the side of the house and the bin man walked passed the window, down the drive let him self in through the back gate, round to my kitchen where my bins live. He then took my garden waste bin and emptied it and then put it back.

Haven't mowed the lawn in the last fortnight so again didn't put the garden bin out this morning and the same has just happened (without the emptying bit obviously).

Is this normal? Pretty sure they never used to do it. Is it part of their remit now we have to pay an extra £50 a year for garden waste to be taken?

Not sure if I should be delighted or pissed off.

You Wealden?
It was free garden waste last year. It changed this year to £50 a year.
I’ve found if you do little and often, they don’t realise

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
In Eastleigh we have separate collections for:
Household (fortnightly)
Recycling (fortnightly)
Food waste (weekly)
Glass (monthly)
Garden waste (monthly - extra charge)
Batteries (monthly)

Sorry, I’m not having it, us hedge end’ers are from Southampton, not Eastleigh 😂

Our bin men are awesome, and are always running down the road for that early finish ( near Sainsbury’s )

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I assume that the garden waste is being picked up regularly because it is paid for separately. The regular rubbish was collected this week in Westdene, so we only missed out on one collection the other week, and I assume they will pick up recycling next week, having missed one of their visits.
To be fair, Hove recycling depot has been fairly chaotic following the Brighton fire - rubbish redirection and a shortage of lorries as some were put out of commission. I understand that some stuff is now going direct to Newhaven. Can’t be easy dealing with these problems on top of the industrial action being taken.
As far as history is concerned, they certainly have it easier today. When I were a lad they had to carry metal bins from anywhere on a property to the dustcart and manually tip it out. Backbreaking and smelly stuff - which is why they were always tipped at Christmas. I think everyone recognised the job they did for relatively low pay. Today, yes, pretty much a no pressure job, that is fairly well paid, other than if it rains and they get wet.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You Wealden?
It was free garden waste last year. It changed this year to £50 a year.
I’ve found if you do little and often, they don’t realise

Yes mate.

I've bitten the bullet and paid the £50. Going to end up with a bin covered in stickers.

Having read this thread I guess I shouldn't be moaning. Sounds like we have it pretty good.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I have finally figured out how to have the brown bins (I pay extra for) emptied.
Come on to NSC and rant and vent........they were emptied today!:clap2:
Let's see if they are collected again on Wednsday???

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I assume that the garden waste is being picked up regularly because it is paid for separately. The regular rubbish was collected this week in Westdene, so we only missed out on one collection the other week, and I assume they will pick up recycling next week, having missed one of their visits.
To be fair, Hove recycling depot has been fairly chaotic following the Brighton fire - rubbish redirection and a shortage of lorries as some were put out of commission. I understand that some stuff is now going direct to Newhaven. Can’t be easy dealing with these problems on top of the industrial action being taken.
As far as history is concerned, they certainly have it easier today. When I were a lad they had to carry metal bins from anywhere on a property to the dustcart and manually tip it out. Backbreaking and smelly stuff - which is why they were always tipped at Christmas. I think everyone recognised the job they did for relatively low pay. Today, yes, pretty much a no pressure job, that is fairly well paid, other than if it rains and they get wet.

Don’t assume they will collect the recycling next week, they are in disarray with that, the regular rubbish is being collected ok ish here in Hollingbury land, garden waste has been missed one during the summer which really pisses me off because we pay extra for and recycling, forget it, now in 5th week without any collection, it’s a disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here