Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I haven't seen it properly but the ref has to take some blame for the injury. If he had made the correct decisions with the two tackles that should both of been sending offs for Donny then I reckon Dunk wouldn't have made such a rash tackle (if that's what it was). That said, regardless of how shit a ref decisions are, as a player you have to keep your head.

Quite so but I'll want to have another look at Dunk's tackle before rushing to judgement. I thought the ref let far too much go though.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
you only have to look at Dunk's face after it to see that it wasn't intentional. He had that look of "Oh shit, that went badly" while Sharp was receiving treatment. It seemed to me like he meant to slide in for the ball but he took an extra step, possibly getting onto a stronger foot, then slid in far too late and just took his feet out. Dunk doesn't seem like a hatchet and I don't think he'd mean to injure someone, it was just a rather unfortunate mistake.

Feel very sorry for Doncaster if that is the case and of course 100x more for Billy Sharp. Very good point made, the ref had little to no control over the game, most of the blame has to lie with him. I feel that Dunk did get the ball and it was an honest tackle although peering from the back of the north stand I cannot be sure and of course he seemed to take the man before. Poor lad had 2 months out last season. Wish him all the very best.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Broken in 3 places? I don't think so. Looked like his ankle from where I was. If he had a leg broken in 3 places then no way would he have tried to stand up to walk off the pitch. Looked like a poor (but not malicious) challenge by Dunk and Sharp got his foot caught in the turf

I agree - I'd like to think the physio wouldn't have allowed him to even get up if it was that badly broken.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Hope he makes a quick recovery. Didn't seem any worse than a yellow, a solid yellow you can't complain about but not an orangey one.
Plus for us is if sends a message that we will kick you back (not that I think we did)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Feel very sorry for Doncaster if that is the case and of course 100x more for Billy Sharp. Very good point made, the ref had little to no control over the game, most of the blame has to lie with him. I feel that Dunk did get the ball and it was an honest tackle although peering from the back of the north stand I cannot be sure and of course he seemed to take the man before. Poor lad had 2 months out last season. Wish him all the very best.

It would be very bad for Donny as they have more than enough injuries already. Hopefully they'll leave a relegation place for Palace.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He wouldn't have stood up if that was case, plus looked more like ankle. Bad for him, them etc. but happened to us last season and will again. Hope he gets well soon and stuffs a hatrick past palarse a couple times this season.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't believe our manager would give orders to 'do' an opposition player - Mr.JCDenton08, what's your reasoning behind this?

I'm not saying it came from Poyet - it's just a part of football. Sharp was the only threat and Dunk was not on a booking, we could afford to 'spend' a yellow card giving their star a bit of a kick and hopefully it might unsettle him. I don't think for a second Dunk intended to break his leg per se, but he certainly meant to give him a whack. He was nowhere near the ball and defenders never lunge in from behind like that without knowing they are 99% certain to get a booking for it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm not saying it came from Poyet - it's just a part of football. Sharp was the only threat and Dunk was not on a booking, we could afford to 'spend' a yellow card giving their star a bit of a kick and hopefully it might unsettle him. I don't think for a second Dunk intended to break his leg per se, but he certainly meant to give him a whack. He was nowhere near the ball and defenders never lunge in from behind like that without knowing they are 99% certain to get a booking for it.

I think we have the new TCB !

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India

Fair enough. It was a rash challenge and no doubt meant to unsettle an opposition player who was a clear threat. But I think we would agree it wasn't intended to injure and that the result was never pre-meditated. We've seen it happen to KLL many times and if I were a Donny fan I'd probably be furious.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Still being assessed according to Doncaster official twitter feed. Don't believe everything you hear especially when it involves injuries!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes. Very lucky. It was very malicious I feel, two footed from behind and nowhere near the ball.

Our players obviously felt a bit battered and bruised at half time, and resolved to assign one player to 'leave their mark' on the star man - it happens all the time. The player does it knowing they will get a yellow, and hoping they knock the player (and often the team) off their stride - teams do this against Arsenal all the time hence the huge number of serious injuries their players suffer and the number of yellow/red cards the opposition teams get.

Basically, we sent someone out there in the second half to 'do' Sharp and maximise our chances of winning. Fair enough, I say - that's exactly what they did with Lua-Lua in the first half.

Back from the game and this is the first moronic post I have read. Hopefully there aren't too many more.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Fair enough. It was a rash challenge and no doubt meant to unsettle an opposition player who was a clear threat. But I think we would agree it wasn't intended to injure and that the result was never pre-meditated. We've seen it happen to KLL many times and if I were a Donny fan I'd probably be furious.

This conversation actually reminds me of a Dirty Leeds match quite a few years back - I recall they ended on about 12 bookings with about 6 of them coming from bad tackles on the same player. I think it was a right midfielder or something.. first the left back got booked, so they swapped the right back over and he got booked, so they swapped the centre back for the right back and he got booked - and did this until everyone was on bookings, then subbed the booked players and did it again. I seem to remember Des Lynam or whoever was presenting tutting and saying "That's not what you want to see, is it?"

It was brilliant.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
I feel physically sick. Not the result... that doesnt matter. Latest report on local radio says Bill's leg is brokem in 3 places. Hayter has broken ankle.
Thats 7 first teamers long term and the season is 1 day old.
Didnt believe we could have the horrendous injury situation we had last year... but here we are.
Congratulations Brighton hope you do well.
Its a devastating blow for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here