Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Paynter signs on loan until January

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
A Masterclass in management by Gus.
Grayson says he doesn't want Paynter going to a championship rival.
So Gus spends the whole of october proving we are not a championship rival. :jester:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll dismiss what Leeds fans have to say about Paynter, cos from working in Leeds I know that they they are not the brightest bunch.

At the time, they were more than happy taking Paynter from Swindon. It didn't work out for him at Leeds. So what!. Many a player has gone to a club and it hasn't worked out.

Billy Paynter has never been, nor ever will be a 20 goal a season striker (apart from that one season at Swindon). That wasn't his style, but I doubt you will hear Charlie Austin bemoan Paynters effort. Leeds simply couldn't (or wouldn't) use him how he likes to play.

I wont pass judgement on the lad until he has played at least 10 full games. As an Albion fan, I hope he does really well. Cos if he does well, Albion will do well.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Grayson didn't want him to go to a championship rival so he obviously still thinks of him as a dangerous player that he doesn't want to affect Leeds season (how that fits in with him coming to us i don't know, perhaps Leeds think they are going to be at the other end of the table fighting for safety)

Excella

Oct 29, 2011
Leeds supporter here.

Billy Paynter isn't as bad as what people say, he just never had much of a chance.

Basically last season we played a 4 - 5 - 1 formation and Grayson when he did start Paynter kept trying to play him as a lone striker, which just didn't work, he's the kind of player that plays with another striker alongside(Obviously this will be CMS for you).

Anyway although he made a few errors, this to me seemed more down to confidence if anything, when people think you suck and can't score, it does nothing for your confidence.

Worth nothing he only had 8 starts, and 14 sub appearances in his time with us(Leeds), this isn't really enough time to establish ones self, especially when you're playing in a role you just can't do and are not used to doing(Lone striker). The expectations placed upon the guy were obviously just too much for him.

I think people here need to just wipe the Leeds opinions from your minds and just take the guy as a blank slate for Gus to mold.

If it helps I'll name a few other examples of players who some other Leeds fans didnt rate.

Bradley Johnson - Some fans thought he was average/crap, he's doing amazing at Norwich.

Adam Clayton - When he first came he was bad apparently, went out on loan and came back to be a vital part of our team(Better coaching elsewhere?)

Kasper Schmeichel - Some fans slated him, but he's doing much better at Leicester.

Federico Bessone - Seen by everyone as garbage, now back at Swansea in the Premier league.

Basically some players just don't fit into our team, it doesn't make them awful, even when you're reading opinions from other Leeds fans that said player is worthless, most that leave us end up doing much better elsewhere lol

Also if it puts peoples minds at ease Ross McCormack was almost as bad as Billy Paynter in terms of goals scored last year, he's now our top goalscorer this year, he went from couldn't hit a barn door to amazing striker.

All Billy Paynter needs is time to regain confidence and a chance and he'l do you well.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Leeds supporter here.

Billy Paynter isn't as bad as what people say, he just never had much of a chance.

Basically last season we played a 4 - 5 - 1 formation and Grayson when he did start Paynter kept trying to play him as a lone striker, which just didn't work, he's the kind of player that plays with another striker alongside(Obviously this will be CMS for you).

Anyway although he made a few errors, this to me seemed more down to confidence if anything, when people think you suck and can't score, it does nothing for your confidence.

Worth nothing he only had 8 starts, and 14 sub appearances in his time with us(Leeds), this isn't really enough time to establish ones self, especially when you're playing in a role you just can't do and are not used to doing(Lone striker). The expectations placed upon the guy were obviously just too much for him.

I think people here need to just wipe the Leeds opinions from your minds and just take the guy as a blank slate for Gus to mold.

If it helps I'll name a few other examples of players who some other Leeds fans didnt rate.

Bradley Johnson - Some fans thought he was average/crap, he's doing amazing at Norwich.

Adam Clayton - When he first came he was bad apparently, went out on loan and came back to be a vital part of our team(Better coaching elsewhere?)

Kasper Schmeichel - Some fans slated him, but he's doing much better at Leicester.

Federico Bessone - Seen by everyone as garbage, now back at Swansea in the Premier league.

Basically some players just don't fit into our team, it doesn't make them awful, even when you're reading opinions from other Leeds fans that said player is worthless, most that leave us end up doing much better elsewhere lol

Also if it puts peoples minds at ease Ross McCormack was almost as bad as Billy Paynter in terms of goals scored last year, he's now our top goalscorer this year, he went from couldn't hit a barn door to amazing striker.

All Billy Paynter needs is time to regain confidence and a chance and he'l do you well.

Good post, thanks! I think he'll be our Heskey. Time will tell.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Inside the Mind of a Striker

Billy Paynter, 26, is a striker for Championship outfit Leed United. He has previously played for Swindon Town, Southend, Bradford City, Port Vale and Hull City. Paynter bagged more than 50 goals for the Robins before he earned a move to Elland Road last summer. Injury has hampered the start to his career in Yorkshire, but as his former manager Danny Wilson says: “He’s a cracking boy. He wants to play every week and when he’s on top of his game, he gets goals.”

Inside the mind of a striker: Part Two | Psychology | Health | FourFourTwo Performance

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Leeds supporter here.

You've completely ruined the first part of my post above. Just goes to show you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. That was a very insightful post.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Leeds supporter here.

whether he works out or not thats such a sensible football post...well done

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is there an early release clause in the loan contract ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Paynter was utter shite today. I'd get rid now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Paynter was utter shite today. I'd get rid now.

I really don't like questioning Gus but why play him and leave the top scorer on the bench

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
He's no Glenn Murray, I'll agree
but I'm willing to give him a bit more of a chance than this!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
So far no improvement on Barnes,however if whoever is playing up front gets no more backing then its wasted money, Smithy must be so frustrated, Gus must ring the changes its obvious that what gained us promotion last season is not going to get us far this year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A dreadful performance, was more of a liability than anything else. I'm not saying he won't come good, but he has a long, long way to go.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have to admit, he was an utter carthorse today.

He bought some credit with me with that clever flick to CMS against Barnsley that led to our 2nd, but today - oh dear, just woeful. Every time the ball arrived at his feet it was the end of the move, he really does have the touch of a rapist. Depressingly poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here