Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bill Withers RIP

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I spoke with Bill Withers last week and told him “Ain’t No Sunshine is poor grammar”.

He said, “I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know!”

R.I.P Mr Withers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He suffered with a stammer when he spoke which, like many people suffering the same affliction, he was able to overcome when he sang.
The similarities with Gareth Gates ended there.

Also Bernie Tormé. Could barely speak a sentence. Also, RIP.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Also Bernie Tormé. Could barely speak a sentence. Also, RIP.

Also Pete Murphy of Bauhaus. I noticed he had a slight stammer during a tv interview in the early 80s. It was only a few weeks ago that I recalled it and so googled it to see if there was any confirmation of it and he has acknowledged it numerous times. He said this when an interviewer qustioned him about it.... "With a stammer, you always have to control it. But it’s very difficult, because once you look at it, it’s there. So you can’t really work on it. It’s fear-based. When I was a kid, I would be terrified to go on a bus to ask for a ticket. I could say the word, say it a thousand times, until the moment the woman says, “Yes, where are you going?” But if I didn’t stammer, I wouldn’t sing so well. When I sing, I can speak".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also Pete Murphy of Bauhaus. I noticed he had a slight stammer during a tv interview in the early 80s. It was only a few weeks ago that I recalled it and so googled it to see if there was any confirmation of it and he has acknowledged it numerous times. He said this when an interviewer qustioned him about it.... "With a stammer, you always have to control it. But it’s very difficult, because once you look at it, it’s there. So you can’t really work on it. It’s fear-based. When I was a kid, I would be terrified to go on a bus to ask for a ticket. I could say the word, say it a thousand times, until the moment the woman says, “Yes, where are you going?” But if I didn’t stammer, I wouldn’t sing so well. When I sing, I can speak".

Brilliant. I love Pete Murphy. I actually had Bernie Tormé and his missus, Lisa, round my house once (he lived near Faversham and was mates with my scouse telly-football-buddy neighbour). But we digress. Bill Withers. I quite liked him.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I love all kinds of music and often take an interest in an artist for reasons unrelated to their records. In the case of Bill Withers, he came to my attention when I noticed he recorded on Sussex Records. Obviously I followed his career from then onwards! Sad to hear the passing of another great artist.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
RIP Bill.

<For fans of Alan Partridge this joke dies today: "That was Bill Withers, who - thank The Lord - is still with us.">

Have to admit I thought that too!

RIP Bill

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Did he die suddenly or just wither away?

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Back in the days of Skint, I practically raised my young kids on Fat Boy Slim while driving them hither and yon. His album "Back to the Norm" is based on the originals of samples he used on his cuts. So "Demons" feat. Macy Gray on Halfway Between the Gutters has the intro from Bill Withers' "Cant Write Left-Handed." FACT (to quote someone else on here..)

Bill Withers: https://youtu.be/__4_fCgjI74

FBS: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=yGaVG-GxFu4&list=OLAK5uy_kyfpTUZS0B0uOE84qncXOsyPlmrxuCG5U

Note the line: All my Demons will wither away. Geddit?

Been a devotee of BW ever since...so a sad loss in the Livingstone ohana...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here