Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bill Archer (not dead)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who cares about that smalltown guy anymore? Archer made his shitty little poundshop profit. The Albion made it to another planet entirely
There is a case for suggesting it was Archers asset stripping that meant we eventually got Falmer.

Not ever going to change my opinion of him, Stanley (Spit) and their monkey. I am not a vindictive person but for them I’ll make an exception, two down, one to go.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
No, but it would have been nice to still have a stadium in the middle of Hove.
Stuff that! The Amex is miles better than the Goldstone, and that’s coming from someone who was brought up living on Fonthill road.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Time to let go
Your sentiment is correct.
Your rational is correct.

Unfortunately heart runs the show on this one, so it's a no from me.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stuff that! The Amex is miles better than the Goldstone, and that’s coming from someone who was brought up living on Fonthill road.
We were discussing this the other day. Getting to and from the Goldstone was a breeze in comparison to the Amex. I’d prefer a stadium in Hove

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
In hindsight archer actually did us a favour, no archer , goldstone isn’t sold, no homeless Albion , no campaign for a new ground, no planning permission, no Amex, and maybe no Tony bloom (As chairman).

we could have be languishing in the lower leagues with a decrepit stadium.

Archer is still a **** though. He must be ancient now. Not long for this earth.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
In all seriousness, how will the great day of his passing be celebrated? Will there be a minute's delirious celebration at the first available opportunity at the Amex?

I think the atmosphere at that first game will be amazing, sheer joy. I don't think about those people at all, but I certainly will be celebrating when they eventually drop off the earth. I really hope they feel some kind of shame every time we're spoken about on TV. Nice try, bastards, but here we are anyway.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In all seriousness, how will the great day of his passing be celebrated? Will there be a minute's delirious celebration at the first available opportunity at the Amex?

I think the atmosphere at that first game will be amazing, sheer joy. I don't think about those people at all, but I certainly will be celebrating when they eventually drop off the earth. I really hope they feel some kind of shame every time we're spoken about on TV. Nice try, bastards, but here we are anyway.
There’s only one of them left

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No, but it would have been nice to still have a stadium in the middle of Hove.
That was never going to happen. We were always going to have to move from the Goldstone at some point. It's not that I have the problem with, it's the nearly going bust and spending 2 years at Gillingham and 12 years at an Athletics track. Although admittedly they were actually good times when you look back on them.

I often think about, and I know it was impossible, but imagine if they had managed to build the Amex on the Brighton station site. It would be the best ground, and definitely the best away day, in the country.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
That was never going to happen. We were always going to have to move from the Goldstone at some point. It's not that I have the problem with, it's the nearly going bust and spending 2 years at Gillingham and 12 years at an Athletics track. Although admittedly they were actually good times when you look back on them.

I often think about, and I know it was impossible, but imagine if they had managed to build the Amex on the Brighton station site. It would be the best ground, and definitely the best away day, in the country.
I sometimes wonder what might have happened if the Falmer site had been used for a new hospital and the RSCH site was used for the stadium. Mind you, the RSCH is on a ridiculous site for a hospital of that size and regional importance, so maybe it would have been ridiculous for a stadium too.

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me. I generally don't harbour grudges but we're talking about someone who tried to cheat our club out of existence and who has subsequently tried to steal millions from the taxpayer. Yes, we are in a nice new stadium now but that wasn't Archer's plan. He didn't care. Never forgive, never forget.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I do get the point totally about hate being such a negative emotion - and the fact that is quite a while back but and it may be unhealthy for many of us to still harbour the feeling but the best UK singer- songwriter(imo) captured it perfectly

’But when they finally put you in the ground,
I’ll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down’.

Even if you can be bothered to watch the first couple of minutes you can see when he’s singing it live, exactly how he felt.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Most important stage for the minds recovery of trauma and abuse is………letting go.

And besides, it could’ve been worse

PS I went to Gillingham both seasons. I couldn’t give a shit about Bill Archer now.
I agree with you, but I wonder what a poll of this forum would show, about how they see Archer in 2023?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I sometimes wonder what might have happened if the Falmer site had been used for a new hospital and the RSCH site was used for the stadium. Mind you, the RSCH is on a ridiculous site for a hospital of that size and regional importance, so maybe it would have been ridiculous for a stadium too.
The new RSCH looks amazing. They’ve found so much space for a huge new building, with 2/5th’s still to come.

I know what you mean, but imho an urban hospital site near the centre means far fewer patient and staff journeys or miles travelled, with many able to grab a single bus there.

The shiny new out of city site for everything, the US model, is bad for the planet and biased towards car owners.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
25 years ago since he did the dirty and we lost the Goldstone. Time to let it rest, anger can rebound on you if you aren't careful.
What?1?!?

My anger is still the same. It certainly doesn't consume me.

I met Campbell well after his involvement in the Indian in Nutley.

I gave both barrels and he took it to be fair. He tried to explain but as I said go on NSC and explain it. He declined, wanker.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The new RSCH looks amazing. They’ve found so much space for a huge new building, with 2/5th’s still to come.

I know what you mean, but imho an urban hospital site near the centre means far fewer patient and staff journeys or miles travelled, with many able to grab a single bus there.

The shiny new out of city site for everything, the US model, is bad for the planet and biased towards car owners.
TBH only helps those in Brighton, it's a f***ing shit state for those outside, ask cancer patients etc who need to go there daily. Should have been out of town. Sussex in its name is the giveaway it serves Sussex, but doesn't!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TBH only helps those in Brighton, it's a f***ing shit state for those outside, ask cancer patients etc who need to go there daily. Should have been out of town. Sussex in its name is the giveaway it serves Sussex, but doesn't!
Where though?

The SDNP means that nothing will now never be built in the countryside around the city, bar far too small sites being infilled south of the A23.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I remember singing Build a Bonfire week after week and getting so angry at what he had done to us. He will always be the ultimate Bogeyman for the Club (a betrayal that makes the current anti-Potter stuff seem laughable), and annoyed that he is so wealthy that even paying such a large fine ain't going to bother him that much.
I don't think we should forget what he did, not least because it has defined the narrative of what the club has become over the past 25 years.
But, I actually think we as a club have moved on, and I mean that in a positive way. We are dreaming of Europe for God's sake, with a manager and a team who are fighting for everything (in a very different way to Steve Gritt and the boys 25 years ago). And that to me is much more important than worrying about what a sad old man is doing, trying to fiddle his taxes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here