Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bill Archer in bid to develop Silverstone

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
New bid to secure British GP future

Two UK businessmen have submitted a joint venture proposal to Silverstone owner the British Racing Drivers' Club in the hope of securing the British Grand Prix's future.

Bill Archer, the founder and former chairman of the Focus/Wickes DIY chain, and entrepreneur Mike Rockall, whose interests include the Whittlebury Hall spa resort near Silverstone, are behind the bid.

They have proposed a partnership with the BRDC, and have pledged to do the following:

"Ensure immediate funds are available for essential improvements to Silverstone and its facilities.

"Provide the British Grand Prix with a new promoter, relieving the BRDC of the significantly increasing cost of underwriting the event.

"Protect the future financial independence and member benefits of the BRDC."

Silverstone's current contract to host the British GP expires after 2009.

The BRDC has been under pressure to find investment partners to help it make the upgrades to the track's facilities that Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has long demanded.

Last year the club's members rejected a board proposal to lease the circuit to property developer St Modwen, but the then BRDC president Sir Jackie Stewart insisted at the time that the club could not make the necessary improvements to Silverstone without assistance from outside investors.

"There will still have to be some commercial and financial alternative because we as a club are not of sufficient size, or financial strength, to develop Silverstone and maintain the British Grand Prix on our own," he said.

Archer and Rockall hope that their proposal will meet with the BRDC's approval.

"We have submitted our proposal to the board of the BRDC and we look forward to discussing it with them after what we all expect will be a successful Grand Prix weekend at Silverstone," said the entrepreneurs in a joint statement.

"The UK is the world's premier nation in the motor sport industry.

"Silverstone must be improved to the highest international standard to retain that pre-eminence.

"We are confident as experienced and successful businessmen, working in partnership with Bernie Ecclestone, F1 and the BRDC, we can open a new chapter in Silverstone's proud history."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bernie Ecclestone and Bill Archer in partnership

*shudder*

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Oh well, bang goes another sports venue, Silverstone isn't that far from the M1...with good motorway links it would make a perfect location for a retail park.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There;ll be a DFS in the middle, a Toys R Us at Copse, and a Drive-Thru Burger King in the pit lane.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Also ideal location for some chavs to burn around in their Novas and Saxos

"I know, let's buy Silverstone. While British interest in racing will be at an all time high, and the international profile higher than ever, we can then sell it to the Americans for 5 times whatever we pay for it"

"and if that doesn't come off, land will be at a premium and we can sell it off to private investors or property developers - keeping key blocks of the land for access, hold the other developers to ransom over it, and then use it to build malls, and supermarkets"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Bernie, I'd like you to meet my new chief executive: David, this is Bernie"

:eek:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Is there anything we can do?? It probally wont do alot but it will really piss archer off to have loads of complaints against him :D

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can see the protests now:

Albion fans: "But Mr Ecclestone, you can't sell a piece of our motor racing heritage to this man, he's a corrupt, asset stripping mercenary who has no interest in the sport and is only concerned with maximising his income by flogging off the family silver to make a quick profit!"

Ecclestone: "Fair enough, so what's the downside?"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is there anything we can do?? It probally wont do alot but it will really piss archer off to have loads of complaints against him :D

Yeah just point anyone who'll listen to his last involvement in sport and the fact that 10 years later he is still having a detrimental affect on the club he was going to save :rant::rant:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Surely somebody has some ideas...?

NEVER forget him.....NEVER forgive him.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Shame, I've just got back into F1 a bit due to that Hamilton fella, and now I'm going to have to boycott the British GP...

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

One could quite easily say the same about you and away ticket allocations. Archer is a tosser with no interest in sport who's only in it to make money at any cost - FACT. He's already proved this with our football club, I for one don't want him to do the same with the British Grand Prix.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here