Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest team achievement of 2016 so far

Team of the year

• The English rugby team - beat Aus away in a test series for first time (3-0!)

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Leicester City

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Wales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wales but only if they get to the final

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Wales but only if they win the tournament

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Is Wales actually that big of an achievement?

Yes getting to the Semis is better than they could have imagined, but it's not like the starting 11 is that bad?

Ramsey,Bale,Williams,Davies, Allen, Ledley, Chester, Taylor etc are not bad players are they, all premiership players and a few have Played in the CL and Won things.

I would say the semis is one round better than that team should be getting to but not even close to Leicester, or even Northern Ireland.
Exactly - I would say Wales' progression is no more remarkable than Portugal's for example.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't get this nonsense about Portugal being "awful". They've got the job done every single time.
They didn't win a single game in the group stage, and finished third in the group, relying on other teams to do worse. It wasn't great.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Must be Iceland
They're a tiny nation, they did well, but they only beat Austria and England. What odds would you have got for that? Nothing like the odds on Leicester winning the PL I wouldn't think.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
They're a tiny nation, they did well, but they only beat Austria and England. What odds would you have got for that? Nothing like the odds on Leicester winning the PL I wouldn't think.

Very true , i think the total acc positive odds of the Icelandic team worked out at just under 1000-1 , Leicester's were 5000-1 i think ? Population of Leicester is 330k , Icelands is 323k this means bugger all but i like the look of that stat .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It certainly won't be British cycling at the Olympics.

As well as they'll do, the rest of the cycling world has finally got it's act together re 'marginal gains' etc.
Expect the gold medals to be shared around a bit more, the cycling team certainly won't be the 10th best nation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very true , i think the total acc positive odds of the Icelandic team worked out at just under 1000-1
Was that to get to the quarter final, or win the cup?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No just the accumilitive single match odds of the games they won and drew that got them to the Quarter final .
That's not making a lot of sense to me. Do you mean the odds of them drawing with Hungary and Portugal, and beating Austria and England?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Yes best odds i could see for each positive result for those 4 games *5-1, * 4-1 , 7-1 , 7-1 , = 980-1

* Enhanced odds , the portugal game was with Skybet the Hungary game was with Bet 365

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The coverage I was watching of England v Iceland had Peter Drury commentating. He seemed to think Iceland winning was the greatest event EVER in the entire history of the UNIVERSE. So it must be them.

bhafc4life03

May 26, 2014
England actually being able to win a game this tournament (against Wales), seems quite a big achievement, perhaps that should be on the list!! ???

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Leicester for me. You have to go back close to 40 years for an achievement of similar magnitude and that was done in the days before the big clubs had bazillions of pounds to squirrel away a reserve team of international quality players.

Wales winning the Euros would be a great achievement but you only have to go back 3 tournaments to find a (weaker) team lifting the trophy. And another three tournaments before that for another unfancied team doing the same. For this to be of a similar rareness as Leicester winning the premier league you'd have to go something like 150 years of Euro tournaments before a small country won it.

The whitewash of the aussies is another great achievement and is suitably rare....but it was only three games and, frankly, it's kind of embarrassing that it's taken us this long to do it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
True, but they are only friendlies.

actually thinking about it, they are not actually friendlies. they are termed as test matches, I suppose in the same way as when England play cricket against Australia, they are not termed friendlies, they are test series.

mute point I suppose

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
actually thinking about it, they are not actually friendlies. they are termed as test matches, I suppose in the same way as when England play cricket against Australia, they are not termed friendlies, they are test series.

mute point I suppose

I guess so, but generally see the Six Nations and the World Cup as competitive games, with these 'tests' as a chance to blood players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes best odds i could see for each positive result for those 4 games *5-1, * 4-1 , 7-1 , 7-1 , = 980-1
But that doesn't make sense. They didn't have to draw, draw, win, win (in 90). They just had to finish top 3 in a group of 4, then beat the next team. Not very long odds really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here