Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Biggest club never to have won a major trophy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've long thought we should be CAPITALISING on our lack of trophy winning prowess by singing to Stone Roses "waterfall". Something like this:

How, how does it feel
De Zerbi's at the wheel
Blah blah blah blah seen it all
We've won f#ck all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Newcastle have won plenty of trophies, just not recently

4 league titles, 6 FA Cups, 1 Fairs Cup (precursor to the UEFA Cup)
I guess it really is the case that, for some, footbal didnt start until 1992.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know we say that, but the Charity Shield meant little in those days. About as relevant as Palace's Simod Cup triumph I'm afraid.
From We are Brighton. We won three trophies that season.

Until 1920, when the Football League absorbed the Southern League, the two remained very separate. The Charity Shield was the annual meeting of the Football League champions and the Southern League champions – which ultimately decided who the best team in the land were.

Brighton enjoyed an extraordinary 1909-10 season, completing a league and cup double. Jack Robson’s side won the title by five clear points from Swindon Town and defeated Watford in the Southern Professional Cup Final. Just nine years after the club’s founding in the Seven Stars pub in Brighton, the Albion were well and truly on the football map.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Who would you say it is? Surely it was Leicester until 2016, but now they've won 2 trophies. How I wish that was us!

Notable entrants:

Albion
Stoke
Watford
Palace

Lots of clubs have won just one - Middlesbrough, Southampton, Wigan.
What do you mean by 'a major trophy'? We've won trophies.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Wigan and P*rtsm**th have both won the FA Cup within the past 20 years. Would anyone here rather support either of them? Trophies are overrated.
Did P*rtsm**th win the FA Cup? I thought they bought it?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've long thought we should be CAPITALISING on our lack of trophy winning prowess by singing to Stone Roses "waterfall". Something like this:

How, how does it feel
De Zerbi's at the wheel
Blah blah blah blah seen it all
We've won f#ck all.
Trophies = Fool's Gold

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From We are Brighton. We won three trophies that season.

Until 1920, when the Football League absorbed the Southern League, the two remained very separate. The Charity Shield was the annual meeting of the Football League champions and the Southern League champions – which ultimately decided who the best team in the land were.

Brighton enjoyed an extraordinary 1909-10 season, completing a league and cup double. Jack Robson’s side won the title by five clear points from Swindon Town and defeated Watford in the Southern Professional Cup Final. Just nine years after the club’s founding in the Seven Stars pub in Brighton, the Albion were well and truly on the football map.
Exactly. How is winning the league and then the cup, nothing?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What a time. We have incredible players, showing us incredible skills and getting us incredible results. The one thing that this period in our history is missing is a tangible. Something that in future years we can tell our kids grandkids, great grandkids about. A trophy

I'm very hopeful that come this May we will not be one of the clubs in this conversation
Agreed. And that will be the case if RDZ wants to win a trophy, unlike some on the 'Stoke' thread who are STILL trotting out the old line about "Let's concentrate on the FA Cup NEXT year. We've more important things this year." It's always next year. Well next year is now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agreed. And that will be the case if RDZ wants to win a trophy, unlike some on the 'Stoke' thread who are STILL trotting out the old line about "Let's concentrate on the FA Cup NEXT year. We've more important things this year." It's always next year. Well next year is now.
Top man.

I also think it gives RDZ a bit more clout in negotiating with Tony about getting that extra player in, if we're visibly trying to compete on three fronts.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The Charity Shield was a vaguely glorified friendly at Stamford Bridge attended by about 13,000 people (for comparison, the FA Cup that year attracted over 77,000).
I'll concede that it might have attracted a bigger crowd if it hadn't been played on a Monday.
No sane person has ever considered it a significant trophy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because the Southern league we represented was not considered the equal of the Football League it later got swallowed up by.

The Charity Shield in those days was more like that trophy handed out in rugby league to the winners of the NRL and Super League champions. Nobody gives a shit about it in Oz, so they *always* play it in the UK, and even with it being treated as a glorified pre-season friendly down there, the Aussie team usually wins.

Even now, the Charity Shield is a pre-season friendly. It's just not a meaningful trophy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Charity Shield was a vaguely glorified friendly at Stamford Bridge attended by about 13,000 people (for comparison, the FA Cup that year attracted over 77,000).
I'll concede that it might have attracted a bigger crowd if it hadn't been played on a Monday.
No sane person has ever considered it a significant trophy.
I'm insane then, and so is the club, because it is on a mural between the player's dressing room and the tunnel.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It lists palarse as a cup winner too.
They won the Simod Cup. A trophy only open to the top two divisions and that the biggest 5 clubs didn't bother to enter. Any Palace fan claiming that as a major trophy is embarrassing themselves even more than an Albion fan claiming the same of our Charity Shield win over 100 years ago.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'm insane then, and so is the club, because it is on a mural between the player's dressing room and the tunnel.
I think that says more about the fact that they don't really have many other trophy options to choose from. I HIGHLY doubt anyone in the club hierachy sits back, puffing on a cigar, and really gets a warm feeling about us having won the Charity Shield.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that says more about the fact that they don't really have many other trophy options to choose from. I HIGHLY doubt anyone in the club hierachy sits back, puffing on a cigar, and really gets a warm feeling about us having won the Charity Shield.
I highly doubt anyone in the club hierarchy puffs on a cigar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here