Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest club coming down from the Championship?

Biggest club to come down from championship?

• Norwich City

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • Southampton

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • Charlton

Votes: 26 19.4%

• Total voters

May 1, 2009
which club, in your opinion, based on reputation and quality, do you believe to be the biggest club to come down from the Championship.

for me its norwich

what about you?

Poll also.

:)

I'd go for So'ton going on ground size, past history (cup winners in 76, don't think the other two have ever won the cup?) and time spent in the top flight.

Funny thing is I can't see any of the 3 going straight back up though.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
It depends on your criteria for 'big club' status. Saints have spent most of the last 30 years in the top flight, whereas Norwich have been a yo-yo club, albeit with occasional periods of great success. I would say that Norwich have a slighty bigger fan-base and to play to capacity gates of 25,000+ watching pretty crap football this season says a lot for them.

Charlton do not compare to either of them.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Southampton no question.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Southampton's one FA Cup - back in 1976; is that long ago enough to compare with the 30s and 40s when Charlton were a regular top 6 finisher in Division 1 (Premier League to younger viewers). Norwich have won a major trophy twice (League Cup, most recently in 1985) and as recently as 1993 were beating the likes of Bayern Munich in Europe. Then again, Charlton's ground had over 70,000 in it from time to time (and not just for Who concerts). History relatively similar in impact, albeit at different times. And today, they are just three middleweight bums who could have been contenders and are now down on their luck. Nothing to choose between any of them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Charlton. It's not that long ago that they were finishing in the top half of the Prem while Southampton had flirted with relegation many times before they finally went down.

And Norwich are a bunch of bumpkins

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Over the test of time and history, Charlton are the biggest club by far. They got crowds of 50/60,000 iat the The Valley. Saints used to get 15K at the Dell adn Norwich have never had the massive crowds like Charlton. They are a funny club tho' as nobody can be bothered about them. Palace hate Brighton, and Millwall hate west ham.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It's a close call between Southampton and Norwich, but at the moment I would just say Norwich due to their fanbase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here