Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Big Bobby Sanchez

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I read that differently.
Sanchez made a good reaction save, dived headlong into the thick of it to block the second attempt and then scrambled through limbs to grab the ball.

Dunk then thumped him pretty hard on the back at the same time as yelling in his ear.
I took it to be an old school D&D type assault on the keeper, after some top work. (Stockdale penalty save against massive, came to mind)

That’s how I interpreted it too, I’ve literally just been watching that keeping sequence on loop, definitely a celebratory war cry rather than a bollocking.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I had assumed that he was the GK for the U23s and covering third choice for the first team.
That's not the case though.

It seems he is probably being denied a loan season in the championship, due to him currently covering Walton.
It makes sense to give him development opportunities wherever possible.Turns out that's in the Premier League.

Fair play to the lad.

Even if he's playing in the U23 he can still be on the bench for first team I would have thought? Especially as he's a keeper and therefore not likely to be tired.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Even if he's playing in the U23 he can still be on the bench for first team I would have thought? Especially as he's a keeper and therefore not likely to be tired.

I was basing that on the fact he isn't included in the U23 squad on the club's website and didn't feature in the last couple of PL2 games.
Looks like he has played a couple of PL2 games after a bit more digging

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I was basing that on the fact he isn't included in the U23 squad on the club's website and didn't feature in the last couple of PL2 games.
Looks like he has played a couple of PL2 games after a bit more digging

Covid-19 means the club are trying not to mix the U23 and first team squads which probably explains why Sanchez has not been the first team bench keeper if he has been playing for the U23s.

It possibly also means he needed a 2 week break from U23 involvement before joining the first team.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes, saw that, and I thought 'good' to see Dunk being more of a leader. He was a bit slow to react. Expect it takes a while for a message from Bobby's head to get to his limbs considering the distances involved!

Blimey.

That was an excellent reaction save, followed by very quickly getting on the second ball. I'd be amazed if Dunk's reaction was anything other than an old fashioned Duncan Duffy on Stockdale type reaction.

Sanchez has had two solid games out of two now. It's his shirt to lose. good luck to him.

Also, I love the fact he can ping the ball accurately 70 yards. With the pace of Wellbeck, Lamptey and Connolly that'll force teams to not press so high against us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's all about opinions, but I don't agree.
RLC scored for Chelsea against us from a very similar position.
Only that time he put it in the top corner.

Without wishing to bang on about it, Maty does not fill the goal in the same way Sanchez does.
A decent forward, given that position, has a split second more to pick his spot, against Ryan.

You have a good point. According to Wiki, Sanchez is 13cm taller, which means his reach is about 20cm greater. This is quite significant if you're trying to curl one over him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You have a good point. According to Wiki, Sanchez is 13cm taller, which means his reach is about 20cm greater. This is quite significant if you're trying to curl one over him.

But he is still 2cm shorter than Vestergaard ans a full 4cm shorter than Burn. I’d describe him as medium height rather than tall (with Matty Ryan obviously being short).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But he is still 2cm shorter than Vestergaard ans a full 4cm shorter than Burn. I’d describe him as medium height rather than tall (with Matty Ryan obviously being short).

Not sure where to get the most accurate stats. Wiki has Burn at 198 and Dirty at 197.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I am really impressed by Sanchez so far, very calm and a presence. If he keeps progressing he could be a massive bonus as we won't have to invest in a new keeper.

The big test will come when he does make his first mistakes, which he will, and how he reacts to them. Like strikers, being a good goalkeeper is so much about mentality.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Only 1cm. shorter than BDB - and 'medium height' is a very peculiar definition of 6 foot 5 1/2 inches, bearing in mind that the average height of men in Britain is 5 foot 9 inches!
Even if you just look at statistics for young men (under 25) still only 30% are over 6 foot.

Last edited:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Blimey.

That was an excellent reaction save, followed by very quickly getting on the second ball. I'd be amazed if Dunk's reaction was anything other than an old fashioned Duncan Duffy on Stockdale type reaction.

Sanchez has had two solid games out of two now. It's his shirt to lose. good luck to him.

Also, I love the fact he can ping the ball accurately 70 yards. With the pace of Wellbeck, Lamptey and Connolly that'll force teams to not press so high against us.

This all day long, he pulls off a reaction save and then loses where the ball went, once he turns round quickly he dives on it with loads of boots just about to kick it. That took bravery and that is what I think Dunk was congratulating Sanchez on.

He is a unit, hopefully he'll lose his nerves and get better and better. Ryan could take some time getting the shirt back.

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
Really impressed with him so far, very good distribution.

]
ROB.gif

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
First thing I thought. Is he's certainly got a kick on him distance wise. That video confirms this.

I thought he did well. There will be tougher tests ahead, but really hopeful he'll progress.

I like Maty and still think he's great and hasn't done much wrong at all. Not to be pilloried at least. I do wonder if the rumor about home (Aus) is true though.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Filthy Sanchez will stay in goal for the rest of the season. Looking forward to Sunday!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Made me smile that Potter said Steele will be on bench because he has done that role well

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here