Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big 6 PL Finances

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I thought this was mildly interesting:

Screenshot_2023-05-30 Numbers behind Chelsea’s ‘enormous’ financial failure.png

Screenshot_2023-05-30 Numbers behind Chelsea’s ‘enormous’ financial failure(2).png

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
just playing devils advocate but don't clubs like Brighton piggy-back off the bigger clubs? i.e. the big boys bring the elite players and huge sponsors which promote and elevate the premier league as a whole which boosts the revenues for all clubs?
They also pay stupid wages which drives up the market value of wages forcing smaller clubs to pay more in an attempt to keep their players.

I guess this begs the question: Does the big clubs playing fast and loose with the rules and their money provide a net gain for the rest of the league?

If only there was someone with a spreadsheet to ask this kind of question . . . . They could do a podcast.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It raises costs and raises income so could be argued balances out, but not that simple for anyone. It’s like living in London instead of Hastings or Hong Kong instead of Manila. Your pay is higher, so’s your rent, groceries, travel and lunch. If you’re financially responsible (Brighton) or a trust fund kid with Daddy’s petro dollars you’ll likely be better off long term and able to save up more money in the bank, if you’re overspending to have more fun and gamble on higher status than you are then it’ll cost you more overall to fake it and compete inefficiently. But hey you’re on the big stage for as long as your luck holds.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
This all got me to thinking, who are the “big 6”?

Ignoring Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, 😃, the list is supposedly
Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man City
Tottenham
Chelsea

On wages and transfer fees alone it’s only City, Utd Liverpool and Chelsea - so a big 4

In the past, Everton were in before Manchester City

Now Newcastle are pushing for inclusion - with Tottenham maybe on the way down. (Chelsea also with FFP whispering away in the background).
Maybe even City if the authorities ever get their act together.

Any other clubs trying to join our financial elite?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It raises costs and raises income so could be argued balances out, but not that simple for anyone. It’s like living in London instead of Hastings or Hong Kong instead of Manila. Your pay is higher, so’s your rent, groceries, travel and lunch. If you’re financially responsible (Brighton) or a trust fund kid with Daddy’s petro dollars you’ll likely be better off long term and able to save up more money in the bank, if you’re overspending to have more fun and gamble on higher status than you are then it’ll cost you more overall to fake it and compete inefficiently. But hey you’re on the big stage for as long as your luck holds.
No salted butter? How?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This IS very interesting, but doesn't it ignore transfer fees received, which is where we outperform everyone?
Yeah, it's only focusing on the basic expenditure on players and wages in relation to points earned. Although the wages are from last year and the points earned are from this year...

I found it interesting just seeing the comparative budgets and how much each club had spent to end up where they did.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought this was mildly interesting:

View attachment 161524

View attachment 161525

No one's fault, but with ManC, Arsenal, Spurs, ManU, Chelsea and Newcastle the figures underplay the costs, because all embarked on huge player spending since their 2021/22 accounts. Arsenal and Newcastle for example have spent vast sum on fees the last 12 months, whilst Haaland is thought to be on £25m to £40m a year.

This would totally alter the expected points for Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Newcastle.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This all got me to thinking, who are the “big 6”?

Ignoring Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, 😃, the list is supposedly
Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man City
Tottenham
Chelsea

On wages and transfer fees alone it’s only City, Utd Liverpool and Chelsea - so a big 4

In the past, Everton were in before Manchester City

Now Newcastle are pushing for inclusion - with Tottenham maybe on the way down. (Chelsea also with FFP whispering away in the background).
Maybe even City if the authorities ever get their act together.

Any other clubs trying to join our financial elite?

The big six is very much locked in. And the biggest keep getting bigger.

Posted elsewhere today, but these Facebook/Instagram figures are very revealing...

social-1.png

social-2.png

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
just playing devils advocate but don't clubs like Brighton piggy-back off the bigger clubs? i.e. the big boys bring the elite players and huge sponsors which promote and elevate the premier league as a whole which boosts the revenues for all clubs?
That’s how Tony is playing it. You almost have to embrace it and just accept that you’ll never compete on a like for like basis but become the best of the rest. No harm in that. We are basically feeding off their riches and establishing ourselves as a top 10 club.
They are stupid enough to not bother with good academies ( one or two exceptions) and so pay ridiculous sums for ready made first teamers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here