Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big 6 clubs trying to take more of the TV cake

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Ian Ayre, Liverpool’s former chief executive, generated controversy six years ago by arguing that the top clubs were being short-changed. He famously insisted “in Kuala Lumpur there isn’t anyone subscribing to ESPN to watch Bolton’, pointing to Liverpool’s reputation around the world and particularly in Asia.

Someone should remind him that it is 27 years since Liverpool last won the title and clubs like Blackburn.Leeds and Leicester have all been champions since them.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
yet it is understood a number of the less established clubs outside the top six will strongly oppose it.

Top investigative journalism right there.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Big 6 already have over the revenue and wage bill of the Premier League compared to the other 14 clubs.

It appears their desire is #ForTheFewNotTheMany

Big 6 v Other 14.JPG

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Right or wrong, he's got a point you know.

Kind of - But if Liverpool have 10 x the backing of Bolton (you could easily insert Brighton or Derby there) and beat them 10-0 every week then who the **** is going to subscribe to watch that? Ultimately, that type of thinking is what will kill the golden goose. The 20 become 6, Man U and Arsenal then ask who in Dar es salamm is going to watch Liverpool and Man City? So the 6 become 2 and they just play each other every week.

Why don't the money men cluck off and play markets elsewhere and leave football to be that little bit purer and that little bit more fun.

I take your point though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well the brand is the league. Not quite sure what the larger clubs don't understand unless they would rather play in a team of 6.

Maybe they should just piss off and recall the reasons they gave to be allowed to split off the in first place.

This is very much coming from foreign owners who probably invested on the basis this might happen one day...

Sort your commercial revenue out first rather than trying to kill the goose.

Idiots

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
When will they understand that competitiveness is key to the appeal of football? It used to be possible for clubs the size of Brighton (not realised) to compete within the old division 1... I'm beginning to think the yanks have the right idea with their draft picks et al...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In five to ten years time there will be another breakaway. The top 4-6 clubs here and the rest of the European elite will pop off and have their own thing.

People have been suggesting that this is 'about to happen' for at least 25 years.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Without all of the other clubs the 6 will only have a European Super League to play in. Maybe that's the plan
What a horrible, sterile , soulless League that would be. How would ordinary fans be able to follow their club? Unless they were very wealthy, they'd have to start supporting proper local clubs, teams like Tranmer, Bolton, Fulham, etc could benefit.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without all of the other clubs the 6 will only have a European Super League to play in. Maybe that's the plan

Agree from the clubs' point of view but ultimately the fans would hate it. I'm sure that Man U, Arsenal fans etc would prefer to go to all the aways in England than book a few days in every European City. After the initial season the novelty would wear off and the expense wear in.. (it's usually the same fans that go to all away games at the moment with the Big Boys).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
the PL is a business and a very lucrative one - the focus now is all on the Champions League - that is the serious money.

There is precedence for this - Real Madrid and Barcelona get a far bigger slice of the Spanish TV money and commercial deals than the rest of La Liga - and that is why these two dominate every year.

The money means that England (6 teams) and Spain (2 teams) are dominating financially - Italy is falling apart because there is little money in Italian football these days - and only Bayern Munich and PSG (because they have Arab money) can keep place. The end result will be a sterile TV game that will accelerate football becoming an elitist sport as people will not be able to pay all the costs of supporting a team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
the PL is a business and a very lucrative one - the focus now is all on the Champions League - that is the serious money.

There is precedence for this - Real Madrid and Barcelona get a far bigger slice of the Spanish TV money and commercial deals than the rest of La Liga - and that is why these two dominate every year.

The money means that England (6 teams) and Spain (2 teams) are dominating financially - Italy is falling apart because there is little money in Italian football these days - and only Bayern Munich and PSG (because they have Arab money) can keep place. The end result will be a sterile TV game that will accelerate football becoming an elitist sport as people will not be able to pay all the costs of supporting a team.

Plenty of money in Italian football. Juventus and Roma doing well, and now BIG Chinese takeovers of the two Milan clubs.

And as for PSG's 'domination' - they didn't win the French league this season. Monaco did (and reached the CL semi-final).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I hate football sometimes. This is one of those moments. Go on, f*** off and play in your super super rich league paying each player £100m a week and only playing other 'elite' teams from around the planet. Then wait for the squabbles to begin about how much money each club in that league gets: one of them has to finish bottom (My money's on Man City!!). Alternatively each team could televise (pay per view obviously) their bank balances live - cut out the middlemen i.e. The football. Why not just cheer along to a set of numbers going up over 90mins once a week, interwoven with live action shots of 'supporters' clubs around the world roaring 'their' clubs digits on in completion with another clubs? Japs, Chinese, Malays, Thais, Mongolians, Arabs (those allowed to watch football) and Africans would surely lap up such action fully kitted out in 'their' clubs colours and waving enthusiastically when their supporter club is featured on the ticker tape at the bottom of the televised bank balance for a whole 3 seconds.

Meanwhile the rest of us can draw up a new constitution that puts sport and competition back on the menu as opposed to just cash. And reclaim our teams from this global circus.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I hate football sometimes. This is one of those moments. Go on, f*** off and play in your super super rich league paying each player £100m a week and only playing other 'elite' teams from around the planet. Then wait for the squabbles to begin about how much money each club in that league gets: one of them has to finish bottom (My money's on Man City!!). Alternatively each team could televise (pay per view obviously) their bank balances live - cut out the middlemen i.e. The football. Why not just cheer along to a set of numbers going up over 90mins once a week, interwoven with live action shots of 'supporters' clubs around the world roaring 'their' clubs digits on in completion with another clubs? Japs, Chinese, Malays, Thais, Mongolians, Arabs (those allowed to watch football) and Africans would surely lap up such action fully kitted out in 'their' clubs colours and waving enthusiastically when their supporter club is featured on the ticker tape at the bottom of the televised bank balance for a whole 3 seconds.

Meanwhile the rest of us can draw up a new constitution that puts sport and competition back on the menu as opposed to just cash. And reclaim our teams from this global circus.

Top post.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Plenty of money in Italian football. Juventus and Roma doing well, and now BIG Chinese takeovers of the two Milan clubs.
Juventus got about the same as Sunderland for winning Serie A - Roma who came second got nearly £20million less than Sunderland and £70million less than Chelsea. Mid-table teams get a quarter of what Sunderland got - there really is no comparison. The Chinese money might make a bit of a difference to the Milans but Italian football is in tatters at the moment.

And as for PSG's 'domination' - they didn't win the French league this season. Monaco did (and reached the CL semi-final).
Dominating financially doesn't mean dominating on the pitch - and Monaco will lose half their team this summer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Juventus got about the same as Sunderland for winning Serie A - Roma who came second got nearly £20million less than Sunderland and £70million less than Chelsea. Mid-table teams get a quarter of what Sunderland got - there really is no comparison. The Chinese money might make a bit of a difference to the Milans but Italian football is in tatters at the moment.

Dominating financially doesn't mean dominating on the pitch - and Monaco will lose half their team this summer.

and £90m for Pogba, etc. And how many million for their CL run? Of course their TV money doesn't match that of the PL, but to suggest Serie A is 'in tatters', is nonsense.

And yes, Monaco will sell three or four players - for about £200m - that is their model. To win their league, and reach the CL semis, whilst continuing to bring through and sell on players, year on year, is impressive stuff.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Agree from the clubs' point of view but ultimately the fans would hate it. I'm sure that Man U, Arsenal fans etc would prefer to go to all the aways in England than book a few days in every European City. After the initial season the novelty would wear off and the expense wear in.. (it's usually the same fans that go to all away games at the moment with the Big Boys).

The implication of your comments is that the clubs give a flying cluck about the fans who got to (especially away) games. We all know that small loyal band of through thick and thin followers are the lifeblood of our clubs but to those big boys who only have thick don't have to worry about the thin and their away followers contribute the square root of naff all to the bottom line so.....

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The implication of your comments is that the clubs give a flying cluck about the fans who got to (especially away) games. We all know that small loyal band of through thick and thin followers are the lifeblood of our clubs but to those big boys who only have thick don't have to worry about the thin and their away followers contribute the square root of naff all to the bottom line so.....

Good points.. But I'm not sure that fans would prefer it anyway (I don't know) and if they didn't the corporate sponsors may not like it. (mind you, they probably couldn't give a monkeys either as it would have wider coverage).

Either way, I think fans of the big 6 may feel they are missing out when we are discussing forthcoming games at work, school etc. Liverpool fans, for instance, would miss their normal derby game for starters... But as you say, money talks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here