[Football] Bielsa on his way? (Update, left Leeds "by mutual consent")

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You've got to laugh. Everyone kept saying he was the Messiah of football, but his teams just keep leaking goals.

He got a very well financed team promoted, had a honeymoon season and the it all fell to pieces.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very average manager.

His translator will be able to make a fortune doing appearance fees now.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Seeing as their 'style' will be the main reason behind Bielsa's sacking it will be tough for anyone to come in and be expected to completely change things, especially with no way to bring in reinforcements.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Seeing as their 'style' will be the main reason behind Bielsa's sacking it will be tough for anyone to come in and be expected to completely change things, especially with no way to bring in reinforcements.

Exactly what I was thinking. And all the players have been coached and only played that 'style' for 4 years. It will be pretty well ingrained :lolol:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Idiots. He is the best manager in Europe right now. Possibly ever.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Every club has their tough times but its hard not to laugh given the amount of arrogant abuse we got from Leeds fans telling us that we should basically just give them BW, that Bielsa is the best manager in the league, and that they were way above being our 'rivals'.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bielsa on his way? (Update, left Leeds "by mutual consent")

[tweet]1497890432226930692[/tweet]

Bloody hell [emoji23]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
All a bit Hughton, but in an opposite way of playing style.

It's a shame for many, he may have represented their best hope of relegation.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You've got to laugh. Everyone kept saying he was the Messiah of football, but his teams just keep leaking goals.

He got a very well financed team promoted, had a honeymoon season and the it all fell to pieces.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very average manager.

His translator will be able to make a fortune doing appearance fees now.

Rather more than "very average" in my opinion, it's easy to knock a manager when things aren't going well, but it needs to be remembered that some of the problems he has come across this season have been out of his control, i.e. a chronic injury list, with many of his better players unavailable for selection, Patrick Bamford for instance who has been prolific for them upfront.

A shame though that there was never ever a Plan B, and an unwillingness to bolster his defence, even after suffering several heavy defeats, and it was this, that finally cost him his job.

A pity, as his teams were a delight to watch.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I actually liked Bielsa and this Leeds team - great entertainment, generally no "spoiling" tactics, never seemed to complain about injuries - despite having some very bad luck this season. Would have been great if he'd managed elsewhere. But unfortunately he was at Leeds with their MASSIVELY over-entitled fans. Will be very interesting to see how they fare under the new guy, who has no EPL experience, and has a very limited squad.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rather more than "very average" in my opinion, it's easy to knock a manager when things aren't going well, but it needs to be remembered that some of the problems he has come across this season have been out of his control, i.e. a chronic injury list, with many of his better players unavailable for selection, Patrick Bamford for instance who has been prolific for them upfront.

A shame though that there was never ever a Plan B, and an unwillingness to bolster his defence, even after suffering several heavy defeats, and it was this, that finally cost him his job.

A pity, as his teams were a delight to watch.

Well I've certainly enjoyed their last few games :wink:

Sorry, just can't forget Revie, Bremner, Giles etc

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I doubt it.

Whoever comes in will inherit a small, broken, Championship quality squad and Bielsa is literally the only extant coach who plays the way he does.

I suspect the new guy will simply get them to try and tighten up at the back a la Hughton and I suspect that will make the hugely entitled natives rather restless.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think (and hope) that statement may prove a little premature. I think he was good at what he did, but it simply wasn't enough for the Premier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports