Bicycle number plates

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I'm questioning it. So I've proved you wrong immediately... and I drive a similar distance.

Today I drove approx 150 miles (about 30 miles of which was on the motorway, 30 miles in London). I witnessed the following (off the top of my head):

1 absolute dick of a cyclist (on a Boris Bike near canary wharf) playing with his phone whilst cycling and swerving across the road almost into the path of a truck.

Circa 2,000 cars driving without their lights on in torrential rain.

Circa 1,000 cars speeding.

1 car turning right across my path, without indicating.

3 cars parked on zig-zag lines at crossings.

1 car driving in lane 3 of the M25 at circa 65mph with both lanes 1 and 2 completely empty. (He had his iphone headphones on and was gripping the steering wheel for dear life).

Circa 50 cars driving in the middle lane when not overtaking.
I'm questioning how you managed to count all those drivers without driving dangerously yourself..

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Sorry, DC/MW meant dual carriageway/motorway, as you probably know speeding is not considered a major factor in those kinds of accidents, to the point that there is reasonable argument to scrap the speed limit altogether. I totally agree that speeding in residential areas is "blatantly unlawful" though and I wasn't excluding that when making that point.

soz, my point was; motorists shananigans kills thousands of people, sometimes themselves,
whereas cyclists kill nearly no one, but invariably themselves.
what interests me is; why do motorists blow a gasket(see that), about jumping red lights
when the nation is littered with kiddies corpses?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have no problems with cyclists on the roads - there's a few that let the side down by disobeying the basic traffic laws; they should be dealt with by the law. It's the ones on the pavement (with or without lights) that really p___ me off - I believe the correct sanction for that is a £60 fixed penalty - oh, if only that was applied de rigeur!

Whilst I agree with you on this, there are some places where the road is just too dangerous to cycle on, whilst the pavement is largely empty. New England Road, and Bear Road are the obvious examples in Brighton. I believe cyclists should be allowed to cycle on the pavements (at a sensible place) at these locations, but certainly, say, down North Street or along Lewes Road.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In general, I agree with most stuff you say, but this one needs calling out...

Why sort out car deaths FIRST?

Should ALL medical research be abandoned until we sort out, say, heart disease? No. We can tackle more than one medical condition at a time.

Should we improve drivers' behaviour? Yes. Should we sort out the lycra louts at the same time? Yes!

As poor as my original point was, it's heart is in the right place.

I had another go, after Trigger pulled me up on it:-
As well you know it's all about priorities.
'we can't afford to breathalise people (middle aged men) this Christmas because we are attempting to license all cyclists, what's the worst that could happen?'.

There are laws in place to prevent all road users jumping red lights.
Adding a whole massive layer of bureaucracy to a healthy, promoted, cost effect, lifestyle for the sake of counteracting an annoyance, seems somewhat OTT.
Esp when you consider the 10+ deaths a day caused by motor vehicles.

Granted it's still not great (although better than odd piece from 'journalists' we know).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Some *** on a pushbike nearly ran me over this morning at 7.15 am. If I hadn't been wearing a hi viz vest he wouldn't have noticed me walking on the pavement towards him.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Some **** driving a car almost ran me over today when crossing the road at a zebra crossing near Preston park.

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
Whilst I agree with you on this, there are some places where the road is just too dangerous to cycle on, whilst the pavement is largely empty. New England Road, and Bear Road are the obvious examples in Brighton. I believe cyclists should be allowed to cycle on the pavements (at a sensible place) at these locations, but certainly, say, down North Street or along Lewes Road.

As a cyclist (and a driver and reluctant pedestrian) I would say it is never ok to ride on the pavement. Pedestrians are a danger to themselves without throwing anything moving at any pace on the same section as them. Brighton's cycle path network doesn't work, it is unsafe and confusing to all road and path users. The solid white line doesn't act as a warning to pedestrians on split pathways. Bus drivers are psychotic neanderthals which makes the shared bus taxis and bike roads unsafe to cyclists and then there are the cycle paths that throw the cyclist onto the path and then stop.

On the continent road users (my experience is from Germany, France and Denmark) have a different mentality, there seems to be a respect and intelligence used in traveling from A to B that we as a nation cant fathom.

Running a red light isn't dangerous... if nothing is coming or in the way (like a human being). Riding on the pavement isn't dangerous.... if done at a reasonable speed and pass by other users at a safe distance. Unfortunately a respect is lost, with a manic urgency to get from A to B and everyone else is a hindrance and this leads to a loss of safety. If you cause anyone hesitation with your erratic behaviour or they just plain don't see you, then you are a danger to yourself and other people - that is whether you are runner, skateboarder, car or cyclist.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I nearly run some **** over this morning at a zebra crossing as he dordled across the road!!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
As a driver of over 35 years, I now employ observation methods when walking on a pavement. I will always look behind before moving right or left, due to the not insignificant risk of being mown down by a cyclist. I daresay there have been fatalities because of this practice. Lord don't let it be a child :nono:

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Soon, they'll be nicked anyway (fined remotely).Look at the number of 'Plate Recognition' cameras that have been installed prior to pay by the mile road privatisation.

I remember a time when the general consensus would have railed against CCTVs everywhere, but everybody seems to have forgotten the lessons of an overly powerful state.......also before Tw@tter and Fecesbook. We do let the most trivial things cause apoplexy now, however.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a driver of over 35 years, I now employ observation methods when walking on a pavement. I will always look behind before moving right or left, due to the not insignificant risk of being mown down by a cyclist. I daresay there have been fatalities because of this practice. Lord don't let it be a child :nono:
The exact reason why I only ride on the road, irrespective of the cycle lanes etc available to me.

The only person who's going to be killed to death when I'm on my bike, is me.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I drive and cycle. I try to be a law-abiding and courteous cyclist and don't run red lights. I also try to be a law-abiding and courteous driver, but inevitably get sucked into naughtiness. Yesterday I had an amber moment, but floored the throttle not the break. Someone followed me through that was on a cert red. I had two amber moments today too.

Cyclists do not add time to motorised vehicle journeys. It does not take long to pass and then catch up where you were. Tractors on the other hand...

I really don't know what goes through some driver's minds sometimes. Today I saw so much daftness in a short stretch of road. 1, a car using an outside lane to pass me and a lorry at red lights before turning left 150m later to get to a supermarket. 2, where two lanes go into one after a roundabout, van decides to overtake me and car in front. When car realises a pass attempt is underway, he speeds up to try and leave the van in a dodgy space. All of us arrived where we wanted to at when we would have.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
as a cyclist of over 10 years, i now employ observation methods when cycling on a road. I will always look behind before moving right or left, due to the not insignificant risk of being mown down by a vehicle. I daresay there have been fatalities because of this practice. Lord don't let it be a child :nono:
ftfy

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cyclists do not add time to motorised vehicle journeys. It does not take long to pass and then catch up where you were. Tractors on the other hand...

... are an inconvenience, but are going about their work. now horses on the other hand are a bloody nuisence, only for recreation and should be banned from the roads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports