Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC vs Arsenal 18th August 1979

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bolton in league Cambridge in league cup

Would the Bolton game have been Gary Stevens debut? Again just a guess..memories fading ..i know i was at every home game that season

edited I've googled ..was the Ipswich game i mentioned earlier

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Would the Bolton game have been Gary Stevens debut? Again just a guess..memories fading ..i know i was at every home game that season

edited I've googled ..was the Ipswich game i mentioned earlier
Yep same had too check

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think I am right that we actually did the double over Arsenal in 81/82

No, we've never beaten Arsenal at Highbury.

We did beat Arsenal twice at the Goldstone in 1982, however.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seem to recall that we did get progressively better against Arsenal with the scores going 0-4 0-3 0-2 0-1 0-0. The 0-0 get a mention in Nick Hornbys' Fever Pitch as forgetable, not understand that myself as left the game somewhat pleased that we had secured a draw at Highbury.

For the opening Goldstone game, John Gregory made his debut and looked to be the only Albion player (in that game) who looked like he was comfortable at Divison 1 level.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If i remember correctly the anticipated capacity crowd failed to materialise ..and that scoreline!
Was our first victory at home to Ipswich? Just a guess.

We also managed to lose 4-0 in a league cup replay after a 0-0 at the Goldstone. Glen Geard's only appearance I think.

But the 0-4 in that opening game is partly to blame on a pre-match pay dispute which led Alan Mullery to threaten to play the youth team and go public on why he had dropped all the first-teamers. Hardly the right way to prepare to play Arsenal ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Seem to recall that we did get progressively better against Arsenal with the scores going 0-4 0-3 0-2 0-1 0-0. The 0-0 get a mention in Nick Hornbys' Fever Pitch as forgetable, not understand that myself as left the game somewhat pleased that we had secured a draw at Highbury.

Correct. I assumed that our next result against them would be 1-0, which was scuppered when they went 1-0 up against us. I believe John Hollins scored. But we hit back to win 2-1.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
the 4-0 was a kick in the teeth,however a few days later i remember having a great night out at Villa where maybank scored our first div 1 goal and earned us a valuable draw........that was until i just checked statto.......i seem to have drummed into my head we didnt lose that night,blow me perhaps it wasnt Teddy that scored after all.........still,a great season and loads of brilliant(false) memories

perhaps in 20 years if im still going i will be describing to all how Smith blasted it into the back of the net

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
We also managed to lose 4-0 in a league cup replay after a 0-0 at the Goldstone. Glen Geard's only appearance I think.

But the 0-4 in that opening game is partly to blame on a pre-match pay dispute which led Alan Mullery to threaten to play the youth team and go public on why he had dropped all the first-teamers. Hardly the right way to prepare to play Arsenal ...

Remember that game so well and you were correct re Geard, who was far and away the best player I played against at youth level and to watch him against Rix, Brady etc, made me realise you had to be a bit special to make it in the game. Arsenal could have scored 10 that night.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
in the South that day,Liam Brady was head & shoulders

seemed to recall we started quite well,but were 3 nil down by half time

still a great day and a great season

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
the 4-0 was a kick in the teeth,however a few days later i remember having a great night out at Villa where maybank scored our first div 1 goal and earned us a valuable draw........that was until i just checked statto.......i seem to have drummed into my head we didnt lose that night,blow me perhaps it wasnt Teddy that scored after all.........still,a great season and loads of brilliant(false) memories

perhaps in 20 years if im still going i will be describing to all how Smith blasted it into the back of the net

Yep, you haven't completely lost your mind yet - Super Ted shoots through the air

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Remember it only for all the DMs lined up outside the north stand, the north stand invasions and the lady I was standing next to had a big bag of aniseed balls, most of which she threw at Sammy Nelson! We did start quite well from what I remember, but it was game over as soon as they scored their first.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
My clearest memory is John Hollins in the warm up looking at the meccano stand and having a laugh about it with Frank stapleton

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Went to that, I believe Geard was subbed at half-time, hopelessly out of his depth. Played against him when he played for Whitehawk, and he did stand out at County League, but then so did other ex-pro's at that time Gerry Fell, Steve Piper etc......

It was an awful game the (league cup one) really was men vs boys. I think that may have persuaded Mullery that things needed changing.

Yes great goal by Teddy, very similar to the one he scored at Luton the previous season if memory serves me correct. Naturally, I think his contribution was underrated!

in the South that day,Liam Brady was head & shoulders

seemed to recall we started quite well,but were 3 nil down by half time

still a great day and a great season

We actually matched them for 20 mins I recall, but then Arseanl went up a gear and we didn't have an answer. Agree re Liam Brady. Alan Sunderland was outstanding for them as well. 0-3 at H/T.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here