Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC University study!

BHAFCstudy

Jan 21, 2014
A rather odd question. I too smell a rat and for that reason, I'm out.

I must admit to some confusion over the suspicion of my motives!

If anything, as maybe I should make clear, during my time here at uni The Albion has become something of a 'second team' to me - certainly not a Palace fan. Besides, my first team are Newcastle so you have some bragging rights over me in that respect! Maybe with this information, the motives/idea behind my work might be a bit clearer? I hope so, anyway.

Buzzer, I asked about Worthing because as you said you are extremely proud of your (I assume) home town. My thinking goes that if you have such strong pride in Worthing as your home (?) you might view its football club as representing you, as part of the area in which you've spent a significant time of your life? After all, football clubs are traditionally community institutions and represent their local geography - offering a sense of identity to which people can relate. Does any of this ring true? Or not?

EDIT: I should point out that I have never lived north of Guildford - so you'd be right in asking why the f**k I support Newcastle! Just interested to find out what makes fans tick via theory I have studied in Geography!

Last edited:

BHAFCstudy

Jan 21, 2014
I've noticed that where I live now, Dalston/Stoke-Newington in Hackney, there is quite a few Albion supporters I've seen in pubs an in the street wearing scarfs etc.

Thats interesting. For sure I'm aware that Albion fans must be scattered allover the world - as we have seen already on this thread.

Do you have stronger emotional ties to BHAFC now that you live in London? Do you still feel proud to wear the Albion shirt/scarf in London or would you feel more comfortable doing so in Brighton for example? Or have the ties grown weaker, perhaps with the distraction of many other clubs in London/premier league juggernaut?

Many thanks to all those who have taken the time to do the survey thus far, it is really appreciated. :thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Buzzer, I asked about Worthing because as you said you are extremely proud of your (I assume) home town. My thinking goes that if you have such strong pride in Worthing as your home (?) you might view its football club as representing you, as part of the area in which you've spent a significant time of your life? After all, football clubs are traditionally community institutions and represent their local geography - offering a sense of identity to which people can relate. Does any of this ring true? Or not?
!

Eh? Worthing was only about 11 miles from the Goldstone when it was in Hove, hardly a different geography and it's only a few miles more now. I said I was proud that Worthing people supported their local club i.e. Brighton. It's a tad specious to suggest that I should be a Worthing fan instead and/or Worthing is not local to Brighton. By your own metrics, should Brighton fans in Whitehawk stop supporting the Albion?

I think you need to re-assess what you regard as local and/or community. As others and I have argued in this thread Brighton is seen as the club of choice for those of us Sussex born/bred. It's been that way for a long, long time and continues to this day. I do seriously wonder if you are on a fishing trip.

BTW - I'm Worthing born and bred now living in Brighton.

Last edited:

BHAFCstudy

Jan 21, 2014
Eh? Worthing was only about 11 miles from the Goldstone when it was in Hove, hardly a different geography and it's only a few miles more now. I said I was proud that Worthing people supported their local club i.e. Brighton. It's a tad specious to suggest that I should be a Worthing fan instead and/or Worthing is not local to Brighton. By your own metrics, should Brighton fans in Whitehawk stop supporting the Albion?

I think you need to re-assess what you regard as local and/or community. As others and I have argued in this thread Brighton is seen as the club of choice for those of us Sussex born/bred. It's been that way for a long, long time and continues to this day. I do seriously wonder if you are on a fishing trip.

BTW - I'm Worthing born and bred now living in Brighton.

Thanks for your input. The pull of BHAFC across the whole of Sussex is something that I will take away from this, and ties in nicely with some singing I have heard while at The Amex.

1) I suppose 11 miles is "hardly" a different geography in the grand scheme of things - but unfortunately we have different perspectives on what 'Geography' is (which is fine). Worthing is a different place, occupying an entirely different space, and in terms of Human Geography (what I study) 11 miles can be an enormous distance. Communities can exist within the space it takes to cross your street, or they can exist on a global scale. Cross 11 miles in London and you will come across vast changes in people/society/cultures/nationality/language/building/business etc, as you would travelling those 11 or so miles between Worthing and Brighton.

2) In no way did I intend to suggest you should support Worthing, I don't believe what I wrote really suggested this but I can understand if you feel at all defensive over that perceived accusation. I was just curious as to what your relationship with Worthing FC is like. Non-existant?

First I was a Palace fan, now I'm on a fishing trip...! What next I wonder?!

In all seriousness, thanks again.

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
Hi
I think I've already done the survey before but am happy to be involved more. I am also at Sussex Uni so feel free to PM me and I will help if I can :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here