Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA/Crawley/Eastbourne crowds last night

Top of the table Albion last night attracted 6,798
Crawley town 3,241 & Eastbourne 551.

Before the BHA match there were not that many tickets available for sell, though the family & away end had plenty of availability.
Given our poor crowd & Crawleys good attendance, it makes you wonder if some fans migrated to our North Sussex cousins?

Are Crawley a serious threat to our crowds?

On the plus side The Borough seem to have realised that they have been punching above their weight & their attendances are falling. Hopefully we will attract more from the 'east', given that the likes of Lewes/Eastbourne & Hastings Town are floundering.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Given ... Crawleys good attendance, it makes you wonder if some fans migrated to our North Sussex cousins?

The short answer is 'yes'; although if they slip back down towards the Sussex County League then some of the support will obviously drift away. However if they continue to be a top Conference side or even a League side then they WILL capture some of our support. Not so much the current generation, I can't imagine too many Brighton fans from places like Crawley, Horsham, etc will change allegiance, but perhaps from the next generation. If Crawley don't slip back down the pyramid, if they continue to be successful then eventually the Crawley Town equivalent of NSC will be full of threads moaning about 'plastic' Brighton fans from North Sussex who'd rather go to watch corporate Premiership football at the Amex as opposed to supporting their local league team. Plus of course they'll get the people who prefer terraces and lower-league football to all-seater games.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

Before the BHA match there were not that many tickets available for sell, though the family & away end had plenty of availability.
Given our poor crowd & Crawleys good attendance, it makes you wonder if some fans migrated to our North Sussex cousins?

On the plus side The Borough seem to have realised that they have been punching above their weight & their attendances are falling. Hopefully we will attract more from the 'east', given that the likes of Lewes/Eastbourne & Hastings Town are floundering.

No way lol. Thing is if you are a true Brighton and Hove Albion supporter you could and would never ever support anyone else. That's how I am anyway.

I will never ever forget my first match at the goldestone ground in the 1980s. That was the first match my dad took me too. I will always remember standing on a milk crate so I could see the match. Brighton and Hove Albion to the very end for me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A similar case to this is that of Wigan. They live in a catchment area that includes both Manchester clubs, both Liverpool clubs not to mention Bolton and Blackburn. Wigan have been a league club for thirty three years now which may seem like a long time but compared to the ones mentioned it's not long at all. They are actually the league's youngest club having been formed in 1932. The point is that many people who live in Wigan support other teams and even though they are in the Prem people will not change their allegiances. You can add Preston, Tranmere, Bury and Rochdale to their rivals as quite a few people from these areas moved to Wigan thanks to the number of housing developments there.

Even if Crawley do get promoted (and personally I hope they do) I can't see them making much of a dent in our attendances of that of Palace not to mention the people who follow the likes of Chelsea.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Argus says the Crawley crowd was 2,214.

Which is about what you'd expect I'd say, probably still less than many other non league teams in their position.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Talk about looking for problems where none exist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if in the League, wouldnt they require more policing? therefore probably play mojority of home games offset from our home games, so it wont have much impact on crowds.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Hailsham Seagull supports Crawley - he said he did on the Sussex cricket messageboard

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
....... Will be interesting to find out who was right.

No, no it wouldn't. I've seen and heard of some tedious hobbies but counting bums on seats at a football match is right up there with memorising pi and collecting empty crisp packets.

You need to get out more.

Flippen heck. If 2,214 was their actual crowd & included 500 kids free & 150 Cambridge then that's awful!!

So Eastbourne/Crawley/Brighton - all had shocking crowds last night then!!

Some solace? No.

At this rate all 3 clubs could play at Falmer, one game after each other on the same night & the ground will still only be half full!!!!!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
stop being so tedious. if they stopped taking season ticket applications for falmer right now , had no away fans and no general sale tickets sold wed still beat last nights crowd and the stadium isnt finished and we have 7 months more sales and marketing .

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Unless Crawley get to League 2 or even League 1, they are always going to struggle to attract big crowds. Too many Chelsea, Man Utd and other Premiership teams fans living in the area. Crawley's population boom was the London overspill after the 2nd World War, so I suppose alot of support for London teams has been passed down over the generations. Either way, I can't see Crawley ever impacting on our support.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
A similar case to this is that of Wigan. They live in a catchment area that includes both Manchester clubs, both Liverpool clubs not to mention Bolton and Blackburn. Wigan have been a league club for thirty three years now which may seem like a long time but compared to the ones mentioned it's not long at all. They are actually the league's youngest club having been formed in 1932. The point is that many people who live in Wigan support other teams and even though they are in the Prem people will not change their allegiances. You can add Preston, Tranmere, Bury and Rochdale to their rivals as quite a few people from these areas moved to Wigan thanks to the number of housing developments there.

Even if Crawley do get promoted (and personally I hope they do) I can't see them making much of a dent in our attendances of that of Palace not to mention the people who follow the likes of Chelsea.

I went to a game at their old ground in 1993, they lost 4-0 to Port Vale. There were almost more Vale fans there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here