Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA 1 Newcastle 1 8th January 1983 - any memories of this?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My first ever BHA match, but I don't really remember anything apart from Terry McDermott and getting chips after the match. Can anyone fill in some of the details for me? I think I can recall Chris Waddle on the left wing. I know Andy Ritchie scored. I'm sure my fellow NSCers can help me piece together some fragments of the day.....

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Kevin Keegan played for them. They were the Second Division underdogs whilst we were First Division and expected to win. Final score was 1-1. They scored first & were probably the better team. The North Stand had no roof at the time.

Apart from that?.....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember being irritated at the two Geordies behind me in the west stand. Actually it was one, a kid, every time the ball went within 50 yards of Keegan, he screamed 'come on Kev.' It became a little tiresome after the first ten times :(

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We drew a game I hoped we'd win relatively comfortably, and that kind of showed why we were knocking around at the arse end of the First Division. I then expected to get knocked out in teh replay, but no ..... he shot, he scored.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
My 2nd ever game and all I remember is my old man taking me into the club shop and buying me a fa cup wall chart,when we got home he explained how we had never got to the final ect ;-) we all know what happened a few months later

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was the start of our glorious Cup run! I don't think we've played Newcastle in the 3rd round since, and I'll take a repeat of that year please - ideally without the relegation though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Off the top of my head:
Att: 17711
Our scorer was Andy Ritchie

Team: 1. Moseley, 2. Ramsey, 3. Pearce, 4. Grealish, 5. Gatting, 6. Stevens, 7. Case, 8. Ward, 9. Robinson, 10. Ritchie, 11. Stille, 12. Smillie.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
My first ever game. My dear old Grandad took me along, as being a Geordie he wanted my to see Albion play a "proper" team.

We stood on the East Stand I thought (at 13) that the Goldstone looked massive.

I still can't quite believe that a few games later I would be watching the Albion walk out at Wembley....

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Got absolutely battered in the replay only to win 1-0
That's when you knew our name was on the cup - nearly

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We did not deserve the draw as we nearly got giant-killed by the second division team. I thought we would lose the replay and another FA Cup would fizzle out but ....

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We did not deserve the draw as we nearly got giant-killed by the second division team. I thought we would lose the replay and another FA Cup would fizzle out but ....

but what...the suspense is killing me

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I remember turning to my mate at the end and saying 'That's the FA Cup over this season then'. How wrong - but I think most people expected us to have no chance at all in the replay (thank you, Trelford Mills...)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yep was in south stand my first ever season ticket ..bought it off someone for £20 after about 5 home games of tht season ..re match can't rembr much at all ..sigh

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Are kids allowed in by themselves these days? I'm pretty sure that me and a mate just got a bus from Westdene, trundled up to the ground and paid on the gate. I think it was cold, but not rainy. I remember being interested in the floodlights - very evocative, those old huge slabs of light in each corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here