Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Beware dyke Road and North street bus lanes are now 24 hours !

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
View attachment 110767

My son has been driving down Dyke Road into North Street at approximately 8.50 ish each evening for the past two weeks past the sign below that shows 8am to 8pm.
Since last week each day he has been receiving fixed penalty notice for driving in a restricted bus lane, 12 at the last count. He has been contesting these each day, but as the number increased he became concerned that he maybe have not read the signs correctly and started to doubt himself.

We told him that he needed to go to the town hall and sort it, if he had been mistaken, he needed to put some payment plan in action (he has limited income) so that the problem did not become too big, debt collectors adding fee etc.

He was initially fobbed off with “its all dealt with online” you need to appeal ect, but eventually with persistence he got someone to talk to him.
When they looked into it they admitted it was a known problem and that a “contractor had put the wrong signs up” and it was now restricted 24 hours a day !

If he's been driving DOWN Dyke Road into North St then he could be in trouble, as this sign is going UP North Street into Dyke Rd/Western rd. As Bozza's picture points out, the bottom Dyke Rd is a clear No Entry to cars at all times.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry I don’t get this...why would anyone drive in a bus lane? I never take a chance of driving in a bus lane at any time. Certainly when driving, very rarely, in Brighton, I always avoid western road, north street etc as there is no point in taking a chance.

You were right to be cautious. The cameras are everywhere, placed throughout the bus lane stretches on lamp posts.

My wife in the last year has received 2 £30 penalties for impatiently entering bus lanes about to end, just a few metres prematurely - on the Lewes Road south-west bound and Preston Road northbound at the bowls club/Shell garage by Preston Park.

The cameras are small, unassuming and not in eye-catching yellow.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
You were right to be cautious. The cameras are everywhere, placed throughout the bus lane stretches on lamp posts.

My wife in the last year has received 2 £30 penalties for impatiently entering bus lanes about to end, just a few metres prematurely - on the Lewes Road south-west bound and Preston Road northbound at the bowls club/Shell garage by Preston Park.

The cameras are small, unassuming and not in eye-catching yellow.
They were both appealable, pepipoo forum deal with bus lane fines and where a bus lane is about to end, crossing the lines a few metres prematurely can be successfully argued as de minimis ('the law should not concern itself with trifling matters').

We told him that he needed to go to the town hall and sort it, if he had been mistaken, he needed to put some payment plan in action (he has limited income) so that the problem did not become too big, debt collectors adding fee etc.
Wrong on both counts.

He can't appeal them in one hit, he will have to appeal each and every one with that photo you took and mentioning what the staff member admitted.

They will ALL be cancelled, if not first time then at adjudication. There is no way they can be upheld. If he's unsure get him to post on pepipoo (no Hotmail emails):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

As for the other way on Dyke Rd, where there is a no entry sign, if that conflicted with a 8am-8pm limited time bus lane sign (which I assume it doesn't) then any PCN issued by post would be for driving past a no entry sign (a different contravention than 'being in a bus lane').

Anyway all 12 that are the subject of this thread, will be cancelled as long as he doesn't miss any - that's the danger. Get them organised and print off proof for each one that they;ve all been appealed online, for peace of mind that none are ignored.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
My son got 12 of these letters today , thankfully all in the same envelope saying they have all been cancelled :)

dyke.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here