Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Best

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Long-time user of 'Best' here – can't remember why, but someone about a decade ago suggested it was the preferred way to sign off messages. Sometimes it depends on the circumstances, but I find it covers all bases whereas 'Best wishes' can sometimes seem a bit wordy and 'Best regards' often ends up with a 't' replacing the 'g'.

Occasionally, I mix it up with 'Cheers' or 'Thanks' – or even just live dangerously and put my name... But most of the time I figured it doesn't REALLY matter as I doubt many people make it that far through my emails to find out :lolol:

Best,

GB

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
But what does Best mean, it feels incomplete and left hanging like some game of finish the sentence. Over the past month its caught on like wildfire at my company. For now I'm sticking to my Kind Regards / Cheers but can feel the pressure mounting....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But what does Best mean, it feels incomplete and left hanging like some game of finish the sentence. Over the past month its caught on like wildfire at my company. For now I'm sticking to my Kind Regards / Cheers but can feel the pressure mounting....

For me, it's open to interpretation. Best wishes, best regards, all the best, best of luck, do your best – whatever you want it to mean :thumbsup:

Pressure? Leave it out! Write whatever you want, FFS!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Cool people have been doing this for more than 10 years. I’m still cringeworthy Kind regards or just Regards for people I don’t like

Best regards - standard

cheers - mates

regards -for people you don't like

I still use yours faithfully/sincerely if writing a letter, although a rare occurrence these days.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Like 'all the best', but not going as far as wishing you ALL of my best, just a bit of it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
While we're on the subject, I sometimes – when I want to try and stir someone into getting something done – I'll use 'Thanks in advance', occasionally followed up with a cheeky 'Best'. :thumbsup:

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
It just makes my day when I receive an 'x' after the sender's name. Especially if I don't really know them and it's a business email.

Adds a little brightness.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I wonder if those who sign-off with 'Best,' are trying to convey how busy the are - too busy to write 'Best wishes'.

A kind of office Virtue-Signalling :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I wonder if those who sign-off with 'Best,' are trying to convey how busy the are - too busy to write 'Best wishes'.

A kind of office Virtue-Signalling :)

In my case, no. Having written a lengthy email I have no issue adding another word – I just choose not to, based on the reasons given earlier in this thread.

Hope that helps.

Best,

GB

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Seems like some here are looking for non-existent hidden or unhidden meanings. It's just a convention as is starting a letter with Dear .. even if you can't stand the person. Meaning really doesn't come into it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here