Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Weapon for home self defence

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like anything, how you used it would depend on the individual circumstances at the time.

It's all based on your perception of the threat to you (or other people). You could lawfully justify killing someone in certain situations.

Nick Faldo & Ian Poulter would have an aliby,

but Babe Ruth & Joe Di Maggio would be convicted.

Back in the Withdean days the wife of a good solid Albion supporting family attended the annual Christmas party. She succeeded in getting a signed photo of Charlie Oatway from the man himself with the words "...stick that on your front door luv and you'll never get burgled!" Problem solved, thread closed??

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've said this before but I was once advised by a lawyer that the best thing to have by your bed is a putter with a few golf balls lying around. That way you tell the judge you practise your putting before going to bed so you just grabbed hold of the putter when you saw the intruder. You'd have trouble convincing a judge that you practice baseball indoors.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
This is an interesting concept.

How many people on here have ever actually had to defend their home from an intruder?

Myself for one when at just past midnight on a sunday my my house was attacked by a gang.It was all to do with drugs and a supposed rape of some girl. The alleged person lived two doors doors away but trying to protect him his girlfriend who they had confronted gave my address and went around and got him out. Every ground floor window in my house was smashed in , my car on the drive written off every window and panel destroyed. I have never been so scared in my life. My wife in the bedroom on the phone to the police as they were trying to chop my wooden front door down with an axe.You have to a realise we were both asleep when this started I rushed down to the kitchen and grabbed two carving knives and just stood in the hall not knowing whether they would come through the windows or the front door. I now am very well protected in my bedroom.

The only time I have found myself confronting a thief (in the act of trying to steal my car), I uttered the magic words, "Excuse me, what are you doing?". He responded by explaining that, with a little trick involving a short piece of wire, it was possible to bypass the ignition switch and get the vehicle started. I then told him that it was my car that he was stealing and he said "Sorry" and ran away.

I'm not sure how a baseball bat would have made this conversation any easier.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously, have you all actually thought about this enough to have something to hand?

Sheeeesssh, I must live in a dreamworld, as the only thing beside my bed (that I'm prepared to discuss with you lot :p) is an alarm clock and occasionally a glass of water.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
we also keep a rabbit in the bedroom.i havnt actually seen it as the wife keeps it locked up in the bedside cabinet in the daytime and at night it takes up a defensive position between her legs.i am a little sceptical of her claims this is a deterrent but will bow down to her better judgement as we havnt been burgled whilst the little monster has been on guard

i can only presume its an evil little bugger!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Advice for home intruders - 'Guard' dogs are to be dispatched by sweeping your arms out to the sides as it jumps up at you, taking it's front legs out to the sides with your arms and causing the breastbone to pierce it's heart in one slick, sweeping and fatal manouevre. Cats are fine - we like cats so they are to be left alone to scratch you to shit as you rampage, loot the pillage.

Advice for home owners - always keep a thick magazine by your bedside table so that you can roll it up Jason Bourne-style to beat the living shit out of any intruder. Intruders never come back after that, especially if you are using this month's edition of Elle magazine (three magazines for £4.90 and cheaper and more painful than a golf club if used correctly)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Advice for home owners - always keep a thick magazine by your bedside table so that you can roll it up Jason Bourne-style to beat the living shit out of any intruder. Intruders never come back after that, especially if you are using this month's edition of Elle magazine (three magazines for £4.90 and cheaper and more painful than a golf club if used correctly)

theres good sence to this. the problem with bats and clubs is they are quite difficult to actually deploy aggressivly in a situation, not enough room to swing them.

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009
I have a rolling pin in wood. No longer than 2 feet, rock solid and light. Much better than a bat.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
On the more rational side, the chances of this actually happening to you are miniscule, and the fear of it is generally significantly disportionate to the actual risk.

Don't have nightmares.

well ivve faced an attempted break in, the perp fled. I think your point is a bit frivolous and a cop out.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I cannot believe for one second that crime in the UK has reached such epidemic proportions that people sleep with weapons in their houses as a matter of course. Another example of the power of the press, maybe?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I've got a nice brass knuckle duster in my bedside drawer, and a 6 cell maglite by the front door. Although I'm a reformed character these days, I'd still use them to defend my family if needed.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
I have house insurance. If someone broke in, I'd get a new Telly anyway. As the chances are so slim, I've never thought about having something by the bed on the offchance off a break in.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I thought if you attacked an intruder with a weapon that they could argue was inappropriate ie a kitchen knife and the struggle took place in the bedroom upstairs you would find yourself in hot water. However I once caught two young scallywags stealing my car radio once in Manchester when I was fitting carpet I chased after them with my carpet stretcher & carpet knife and the Old bill turned up midway through the chase and were going to arrest me for an offensive weapon. In the end they caught the scallywags and let me go after explaining I was midway through fitting a carpet.

Question - Edna if I stored my tools in my bedroom and someone broke in and I hit someone with my stretcher would I get in hot water ?

Not that I do keep any weapons or tools in my bedroom as I feel it is highly improbable someone will break into PsychoTowers.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The only thing that would be within my grasp if I heard an intruder in the night would probably be this:

fat+guitar.jpg

Wallop. C major. right in the kisser.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Question - Edna if I stored my tools in my bedroom and someone broke in and I hit someone with my stretcher would I get in hot water ?

If you hit them with something to prevent them attacking you or truly beleiving you, or another person, are in danger, then you are unlikely to face prosecution. If you chase them out of the house and batter them outside, even if only with bare hands, then you may be charged with assault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here