Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best way for Southgate to keep his job .

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
His record in big tournaments is better than any England manager apart from Alf Ramsey obviously.

I think that is down to luck and favourable draws though. It means he can't be sacked until the inevitable humiliation in the World Cup, where he will enthusiastically applause the fans for turning up.
And we will be thinking what this squad would have achieved with Pep, Klopp or Potter in charge.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It's hardly worth watching the poxy, fu****g world cup is it? Joke. Southgate needs to get
the f*** out now.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Question - which EPL or CL club would appoint Southgate as manager if he became available in January?
My answer - none of them.
With an even average top level manager in place England win Euro 2020

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I posted this in a different thread, but it probably sits better here. Much of the talk in Milan was about who would replace GS when he (inevitably, it would seem) goes after the World Cup. Potter is obviously out, which is quite convenient for him as I don't think he would have wanted the England job at this stage of his career - and history tells us that you only turn that job down once. If Newcastle don't pick up a few more wins this year then I can't see the Saudi's fighting too hard to retain him - it would be the perfect opportunity to get a 'big name' in. A lot of England fans and media seem to be resigned to Brendon Rodgers being offered the job, on the basis that he is British and will most likely be available, plus he is another one who would tow the party line with the FA.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Luckily, I don't give a shit about international football. My preference would be for the league to still carry on and clubs forced to use players that aren't selected. With Gareth Southgate as coach, that would really benefit us as a club because he doesn't select the best players for the job. Otherwise players like Webster or White would have been called up.

Trouble with this idea is that plenty of other international managers do rate our players and we wouldn’t benefit because we’d be without the likes of Caicedo, MacAllister, Trossard etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm taken aback that he has any supporters at all. I think your defense of him is very weak. He lacks class, and skill. He isn't a good man manger, are we still allowed to say that?

His squad selection this time around was diabolical. I mentioned Phillips because he's not playing for City, yes I know he's just picked up an injury, but he's hasn't played for them nearly all season (with the exception of a couple of minutes of the bench here and there) - HOW can you pick someone who isn't playing for their club team? What message does that send to others? And this will be his downfall.

Luckily, I don't give a shit about international football. My preference would be for the league to still carry on and clubs forced to use players that aren't selected. With Gareth Southgate as coach, that would really benefit us as a club because he doesn't select the best players for the job. Otherwise players like Webster or White would have been called up.

FWIW - I had serious doubts after 2 nation league games and thought we should have replaced him. But not for the reasons you seem to be beating him with.

Phillips thing is irrelevant because he replaced him with Bellingham who may well have started regardless, and he bought Henderson back in for cover although his time is running out. So who should he have picked ?

It’s clear the ‘must be playing’ thing he said 6 years ago was aimed at moving the team on and bringing in younger players which he now trusts. But he still uses it, he didn’t pick Rashford last year, he hasn’t picked Sancho now - but for some players he has no choice, there’s no LWBs playing for example… but still you can’t really apply that argument to anyone other than defenders. There’s no excuse further forward as they are all playing and in form for their clubs !

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
He’s not going to change his approach now. He sets his team out not to lose. In 90% of international football tournaments that approach might get you so far but you won’t win it.
He’d actually be far better suited to managing a team that are consistently underdogs and expected to set up like that. I thought England were the stand out squad at Euro 2020 and are in the top 4 of this World Cup. Will Southgate get the best out of them? IMO no because he is tactically inflexible and reactive. Potter would embarrass him.
I said after the 2018 World Cup I’d get rid for the above reasons, I’ve not changed my mind one bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here